Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Immediate help needed!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow just got done at 2:00 AM SHITTTTY

No im not retarded....I just learned that driveshafts are the worst thing to do.

Well that i have done so far.

NOT FUN FOR ME

I got everything in but the torque wrench that had the needle was wierd and i just torched everything down real tight and drove home....well no sounds so far but i think the dust cover is clinging around a little and i will have to put some clear silicone to fix that.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

You know its wierd though....The Teraflex instructions say nothing about doing this rotational bull crap and just give you torque settings.

Im just going to torque them to these specs and see what happens i guess. This jeep thing is wearing on me a little.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't follow those instrucitons on the rotational torque. It's only to keep things straight. Just make sure its on straight and you're fine. Sorry to hear it was so tough to get it off - I know the feeling. I thought mine was never going to come off either, but after about 8-10 solid minutes of hammering the shit out of it with the impact gun it finally came off.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow ya it was a tough one.

I talked to a guy at an autoparts store and he said if you just torx it tight it will be catastrophic to the gears and axle.

However now i just talke to a guy at 4 wheel parts and he said to disregard the specs of 160 ft lbs in the rear and 120 ft lbs in the front and just torx it until it stops.

Im clueless and now im just tired and frustrated!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you replace the pinion nut? If not, did you mark the relationship of the nut to the axle before removing it? That is not a replacement for proper torque but it can be a decent start.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't listen to the sales people at a store. The sticker on my new Yoke said 180ft/lbs and to use red locktite. I just had to go in the garage and find the sticker. Sorry it took so long. Mine is from Tom Woods. I've put many miles on it since changing the yokes out. Everything is fine.

Mine is from Tom Woods
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Warlock13
You know its wierd though....The Teraflex instructions say nothing about doing this rotational bull crap and just give you torque settings.

Im just going to torque them to these specs and see what happens i guess. This jeep thing is wearing on me a little.
The rotational torque is more for when you replace gears so that you can get the bearing preload right when compressing the crush sleeve. Since the crush sleeve is already compressed when you are changing drive shafts, I wouldn't use rotational torque as a measurement. If you do, you may actually get the prelaod on the bearings too tight, since the crush sleeve is already compressed. That's the last thing you need.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
The rotational torque is more for when you replace gears so that you can get the bearing preload right when compressing the crush sleeve. Since the crush sleeve is already compressed when you are changing drive shafts, I wouldn't use rotational torque as a measurement. If you do, you may actually get the prelaod on the bearings too tight, since the crush sleeve is already compressed. That's the last thing you need.
Thanks redneckjeep. That is what the guy from 4 wheel parts said and he said if i just hit with an impact and wait till it stops turnign then i would be fine. I torqued the one at the transfer case until it wouldnt turn anymore and then the one for the rear axle i torqued with a ratchet until it wouldnt torque. I didnt over torque though so i think i should be fine. My dust cover has alot of play though so i guess i will have to silicone that to the diff so it wont make noise.

Im kinda dissapointed with JE REEL they gave no instructions and no specs for the torque settings. I mean how are you supposed to know these things????
Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

160 ft lbs is pretty damn tight, use a torque wrench and loctite and you should be fine!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Isnt that what you said you did on yours edwin.

Quick Reply: Immediate help needed!!!!!!!