Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing winch tomorrow...any wiring tips?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The controller on my HF winch stuck several times. I also had a solenoid stick in the on position. To alleviate the stuck controller, I unplugged the controller. To alleviate the stuck solenoid I forced the clutch lever into freewheel and my wife disconnected the battery. If I the winch had been under load I would have needed a disconnect in a hurry.

Just because someone has never seen a failure does not mean it cannot happen. Having a redundant disconnect hurts nothing. If another part fails it can be switched to shut the system down. If the disconnect fails it can be bypassed in the field with simple hand tools. Whether or not you can reach it in an emergency is irrelevant because if you can't reach the disconnect, you also cannot reach the battery terminals.

Having been present for two electrical fires on modified vehicles (not winches, or Jeeps), I can say that a disconnect is an intelligent idea on a modified vehicle. Drag cars have them as part of NHRA rules. Most racing stock cars, even at an amature level, require them.

Seal ... since you don't want to get under the hood or touch a disconnect, what do you recommend in the event of an electrical failure? A Call to 911 I suppose? And for the record an 8mm wench does not remove the battery cables on a JK, you must be thinking of a GM product. Possibly a Hummer.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been using the warn quick disconnects on mine.Just squeeze & pull apart.If you do run these,it`s a lot easier to install the disconnects BEFORE you install the winch.And like others have stated,just watch the sharp edges going under the grill/radiator.Good luck!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default install solenoid on positive to isolate winch

to protect+isolate chassis electrical use a heavy duty continuous duty solenoid(i use a part # for switched power in Frieghtliner trucks)and have a switch in cab that enables/disables power to winch.winch isolated unless in use.used dual post style gel cell battery,oem connections to top posts,winch neg directly to side post winch batt+ to side post with inline solenoid mounted beside battery hold down.very clean easy install
Old 11-04-2007, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by adaycj
The controller on my HF winch stuck several times. I also had a solenoid stick in the on position. And for the record an 8mm wench does not remove the battery cables on a JK, you must be thinking of a GM product. Possibly a Hummer.
"The controller on my HF winch stuck several times" That's you're problem right there...HARBOR FREIGHT

8MM disconnects the positive connector on the positive terminal, not the the terminal to the battery post. Come to think of it, it might be 10MM...
Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Just because someone has never seen a failure does not mean it cannot happen. Having a redundant disconnect hurts nothing. If another part fails it can be switched to shut the system down. If the disconnect fails it can be bypassed in the field with simple hand tools. Whether or not you can reach it in an emergency is irrelevant because if you can't reach the disconnect, you also cannot reach the battery terminals..
My point exactly...if there were this severe of a failure you're screwed until it stops itself.

(not winches, or Jeeps)
AGAIN EXACTLY!

Seal ... since you don't want to get under the hood or touch a disconnect, what do you recommend in the event of an electrical failure? A Call to 911 I suppose?
I wouldn't suggest attempting to open the hood under a severe failure EVER!!!!

And for the record an 8mm wench does not remove the battery cables on a JK, you must be thinking of a GM product. Possibly a Hummer.
You're right it's a 10mm, and I'm talking about the positive connection on the terminal, not the terminal to battery post connection. If you actually connected anything to your JK battery, you should know that...for the record.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crux
I have been using the warn quick disconnects on mine.Just squeeze & pull apart.If you do run these,it`s a lot easier to install the disconnects BEFORE you install the winch.And like others have stated,just watch the sharp edges going under the grill/radiator.Good luck!
This is actually a good idea...
Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Default Somebody Needs A Nap!!!!!!

Don't a lot of people open thier hood when they winch? It would be a terrible thing to have to reach inside the hood compartment and turn a switch to stop a full system melt down.

Take a chill Seal20 ....

just because it is'nt your idea desn't make it wrong. There are lots of things that could cause the hot lead to short out no matter what winch you have.
If this idea doesnt apeal to you DONT USE IT!!!!!!

Last edited by capt scotty; 11-08-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing winch tomorrow...any wiring tips?