Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

jeep squeaking

Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, try rocking your jeep side to side as opposed to bouning it up and down. if that give you a squeak, have someone continue to rock it back and forth as you go around putting your hand on things like your shocks and sway bar links. based on your profile and what you have on your jeep, i'm going to bet that the squeak is coming from one of them and if it is, the component will vibrate a bit when it squeaks. if i could guess, one of your shock or sway bar link bolts is just a tad loose and this is causing the bushing to rotate thus causing a squeak.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks. I thought it could be a shock or something. I'll try rocking it as well. Wish my driveway was not a potholed gravel hill so I could try to do this on a flat surface. If its a shock should I jack the jeep up to tighten it or will I be kosher with it unjacked?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by tattedJkers
Ok thanks. I thought it could be a shock or something. I'll try rocking it as well. Wish my driveway was not a potholed gravel hill so I could try to do this on a flat surface. If its a shock should I jack the jeep up to tighten it or will I be kosher with it unjacked?
you can just tighten them up with your jeep on the ground
Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

do you have a lift or ever done anything with the control arms?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just tried rocking it no squeaking. Just a spacer lift nothing to the control arms
Old 06-18-2011, 09:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by tattedJkers
I just tried rocking it no squeaking. Just a spacer lift nothing to the control arms
okay, that still helps and eliminate that. next, you'll want to check things like rocker guard and/or skid plate bolts. sometimes, these can come loose just driving around on rough roads and and they rattle around, they can cause a squeak.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok. I am checking shocks swaybar and such. Going to work my way forward. Love the mobile app so I don't have to run inside and check the comp every ten minutes
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also it sounds like its coming from the rear of the jeep. Not the front. Then again I know the problem is where you least expect it
Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take you jeep into the shop the squeek is th
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWAT524
Take you jeep into the shop the squeek is th
Oops anyways the problem will be the actual bushings where the shocks bolt to the rear axle. This is usually a issue with aftermarket shocks but can also happen to stock shocks. The bushings wear and a temp fix is some anti sieze which may last around a year . Permenant fix replace shocks . I recomend a shock that you can replace the bushing becuase this could happen again. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: jeep squeaking