Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift advice: are all 8 control arms needed or are 4 fine for a 3.5" lift?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift advice: are all 8 control arms needed or are 4 fine for a 3.5" lift?

I have all 8 teraflex control arms for my JKUR, brand new. I do not have coils yet and am thinking RK nad have wanted a RK lift for a while....

My question is - i could sell all 8 control arms at get RK's 3.5" mid arm flex kit for about the same price...but it only has 4 arms.

Do I need all 8 or can i just stick with 4? I do wheel a lot and live in CO- so it is rocky. Planning 3.5" lift and 37s
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more arms you got the better. I think the RK lift comes with rear lowers which are useless. At a very minimum, you want front lowers and rear uppers.

Full 8 arms for full adjustability is ideal especially if youre wheeling and running larger than 35s.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

In order of importance:
1. Front Lowers - allows you to correct caster to near stock, helps on-center feel and tracking at highway speeds
2. Rear Uppers - allows you to rotate the rear differential to correct pinion angle for an aftermarket driveshaft
3. Rear Lowers - allows you to move the rear axle back when used with rear uppers to correct wheelbase length
4. Front Uppers - allows you move the front axle forward when used with front lowers to correct wheelbase length
Old 01-31-2013, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, the only thing I don't get is why RK has rear lower adjustable arms and no one seems to have any issues?

I have 2 options, and my goal is 37s, I like the rocks, it is a DD. I would like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing performance. my 2 options would both be brand new everything.

1) 8 Teraflex adjustable control arms, front and rear teraflex adjustable track bars, bilstein 5100s, RK 3.5" coils front and rear, brakes/sway bar links/bumps etc.

The downside to this is that it is roughly 300ish more that option 2

2) RK 3.5" mid arm flex kit - 4 arms, coils, bilstein 5100s, front adjustable track bars, rear bracket, brakes/sway bar links/etc.

Should i just keep option 1 (what I have now)?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
The more arms you got the better. I think the RK lift comes with rear lowers which are useless. At a very minimum, you want front lowers and rear uppers.

Full 8 arms for full adjustability is ideal especially if youre wheeling and running larger than 35s.
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
In order of importance:
1. Front Lowers - allows you to correct caster to near stock, helps on-center feel and tracking at highway speeds
2. Rear Uppers - allows you to rotate the rear differential to correct pinion angle for an aftermarket driveshaft
3. Rear Lowers - allows you to move the rear axle back when used with rear uppers to correct wheelbase length
4. Front Uppers - allows you move the front axle forward when used with front lowers to correct wheelbase length
Pretty sound advice! We ran front lowers and rear uppers for about 18 months going from a 3" Black Diamond lift with nothing more than cam bolts at first (big mistake) to Tera Flex arms and coil overs. It's your $ but these guys know what they're talking about.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Option 1. The extra $300 is worth it. If you had some off brand arms that weren't worth crap I say go with option2, but you have high quality arms now so keep those.

They are adjustable right?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes, they are adjustable. i guess i'll stick with option 1. I should still get basically the same ride as the RK lift with their coils right? I know their lifts flex like crazy, which is why i've wanted them since i got my jeep.

will option 1 flex like the RK lift?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lkjk
yes, they are adjustable. i guess i'll stick with option 1. I should still get basically the same ride as the RK lift with their coils right? I know their lifts flex like crazy, which is why i've wanted them since i got my jeep.

will option 1 flex like the RK lift?
I don't know. There are a lot of factors that go into that. If you really like RK then go with it but I'd spend a little extra money and get the arms and track bars as some detailed out above.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We supply rear lowers on our more basic 2.5" and 3.5" systems because there is not a great deal of pinion rotation needed at those lift heights and our lower control arms have high clearance bends in them which provides much better off-road ability than rear uppers would at that lift height! That is just how we lay out our systems and the factory rear lower control arms are weak! We try to address the vehicle by solving modes of failure and modes of needs first.

Once you go to our full 8 arm systems with track bars, then we are actually moving the rear axle back a bit to allow even greater upsizing of tires with flat fenders!

Hope that helps you understand our logic anyway!

Good luck with your build!

RK
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, so I'm keeping the lift I have -

Teraflex full 8 arms, front and rear tera adjustable trackbars, bumps, sway bar links, and i think i have spring retainers for the rear.

All I need are shocks and coils, correct? I plan on going 3.5" Do I need to do the drag link flip or do anything to address steering?? I'd prefer to keep this as cheap as possible and only what is NEEDED.

hopefully the front ds holds out for a bit. I will also be getting new brake lines.

Quick Reply: Lift advice: are all 8 control arms needed or are 4 fine for a 3.5" lift?