Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit considerations - 3" for $500 vs. $1700!?

Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by THE GAGNON
Will a 2" BB fit 34" tires comfortably w/o rubbing or any other adverse consequences?

Rubicon + 0" lift = 32" tires
Rubicon + 2" BB = 34" tires :confused:
Rubicon + 3" BB = 35" tires
33's for sure and depending on the actual measued height of the tire in question, maybe even 34's as well. Although, I should tell you that 34 is kind of an odd size and there's nothing worse than being out in the middle of nowhere with 2 blown tires and nobody to bum a spare off of or no tire shop in town with a replacement to be had. Just a thought.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I may be a little thick today, but just to get this straight...

The difference between the $500 and the $1700 is the inclusion of track bars and control arms? This means the rest of the kits are the same? If I then upgrade the Basic kit with the optional Front and Rear Track Bars, and F&R Upper and lower Control Arms, it then becomes the same as the $1700 kit? Or would there still be differences?

If I get the cheap one, then which control arms does the stock Rubicon have? F&R, Upeerr or lower, that would stay when the cheap lift is installed? Does the Rubicon have Front and Rear Track Bars? I thought it did, but now I confuzzled! Thanks!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
The difference between the $500 and the $1700 is the inclusion of track bars and control arms? This means the rest of the kits are the same? If I then upgrade the Basic kit with the optional Front and Rear Track Bars, and F&R Upper and lower Control Arms, it then becomes the same as the $1700 kit?
Yes.

If I get the cheap one, then which control arms does the stock Rubicon have? F&R, Upeerr or lower, that would stay when the cheap lift is installed? Does the Rubicon have Front and Rear Track Bars? I thought it did, but now I confuzzled! Thanks!
Every Jeep has all these components. The Full Traction Ultimate Kit just replaces them with heavy duty and adjustable ones.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only thing keeping me from going for the ultimate 3" lift kit is that I want to retain the stock sway bar disengagement system that comes with my Rubicon. I just don't want to get rid of the "push a button to disengage" feature. I'm wondering if I can get the 3" economy kit, then order the adjustible track bar(s) and 8 separate control arms and use all this with the stock sway bar disconnect system.

Will that work?? What is the pros and cons of my idea?

This forum sure helps make these tough decisions by the way, thanks for this opportunity.

Tom
Bryson CIty, NC
Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
The only thing keeping me from going for the ultimate 3" lift kit is that I want to retain the stock sway bar disengagement system that comes with my Rubicon. I just don't want to get rid of the "push a button to disengage" feature. I'm wondering if I can get the 3" economy kit, then order the adjustible track bar(s) and 8 separate control arms and use all this with the stock sway bar disconnect system.

Will that work?? What is the pros and cons of my idea?

This forum sure helps make these tough decisions by the way, thanks for this opportunity.

Tom
Bryson CIty, NC
Actually, there's no reason why you couldn't keep the stock e-disco with the 3" Ultimate kit. In fact, the 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Rescue Green Rubicon Unlimited with the 3" Ultimate Kit you've seen here has that exact same set up. All you need to do is install the new longer sway bar links and call it a day.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could it be any simpler?! I guess if the kit were free it would! I just feel that this Ultimate Kit is a bit over-priced. I'd love to purchase it, but I'd be paying for front disconnects I'd never use, and from what I see in the pictures, I think this kit should be priced about $500 less. It just doesn't look like $1700 worth of hardware, though I don't question the amount of research that went into making the kit.

Tom
Bryson CIty, NC

Last edited by SpudRacer; 10-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

It's actually a decent price for a kit that includes all the beefed up, adjustable parts as well. That's one of the reasons that LA kits are usually more, there's just more hardware included.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

So Front/Rear Trackbar, and F/R Adjustable Arms are $1200??? That seems high to me. I know on my RE kit I had on my '05 Rubi, the Adjustable uppers was $300/set. I swear I've seen the front/rear track bars are around $180/each. that's $700 left for the adjustable lowers???? There must be something more in that kit...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

dont forget about Full tractions 4" kit that will be coming out.. 37"s!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
TeraFlex Rep

Originally Posted by THE GAGNON
... and what about Teraflex's 2.5" BB that claims to accomadate a 35" tire. Is this correct? Are 35" tires too big?:confused:
The Teraflex Performance Boost will fit 35" tires on aftermarket wheels or if you keep your stock wheels you must use wheel spacers to keep the tires from rubbing the rear sway bar. The Teraflex kit has rear brake line extensions and a cool spring retaining design built into it so if you change your shocks to a longer shock absorber (which you really need to do) yor springs will not fall out when the axle is drooped in the rear. The Full traction basic 3" lift would be a good choice as well.

Quick Reply: Lift kit considerations - 3" for $500 vs. $1700!?