Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift kit trigger being pulled soon

Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lift kit trigger being pulled soon

I just want to make sure my ducks are in a row before I get cracking on removing the stock suspension from my 07 JK.

Project Overview:
2007 2D JK, Manual Trans
2" Lift Kit
JKS Adjustable Track Bar
32" Cooper Discovery AT3

I will be installing this kit.
SkyJacker 2" w/Black Max

For the front sway bar links I already have JKS quick discos, adjustable up to the 2" mark. For the rear what is a good option? This is what I was thinking of from JKS as well.
JKS Adjustable End Links

The last item TBD is bump stops. I just read a few posts on how to make a judgment call on what size bump stops will be needed. Being that I don't want to tear into the suspension right at this moment, nor do I have the 32" tires yet, what's y'alls thoughts right off the bat?

I also forgot, since I am anal and do not want to have to replace hardware in the near future after what I've done. What bolts/nuts should I consider replacing when I have everything apart? I don't mind spending the money for quality hardware, and the jury is still out in my mind regarding the grade 8 bolts. So any pointers here, like "Man you deffo want to change Track Bar bolts, etc (insert other hardware here.)"
Thanks for your input and help fellas. A little late but Merry Christmas to you all as well.

Last edited by Seizer; 12-26-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You should not need bump stops running 32" tires, that is what the stock tire is. I would save the money and just run a spacer lift verses running that lift. Low quality in both coils and shocks that really is not going to do anything for you. No need to upgrade the stock bolts as they are plenty strong for what you are doing with them.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You should not need bump stops running 32" tires, that is what the stock tire is..
Correct me if I am wrong stock 16" rims I am running 225/75/16 stock tires. I thought these equated to 29" tires. I want to put on 265/75/16 tires on. Which equates to just a shade under 32".
Old 12-26-2017, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Stock Sahara and rubicon have 32" tires stock. Same suspension and bump stops that you have on your sport.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You should not need bump stops running 32" tires, that is what the stock tire is. I would save the money and just run a spacer lift verses running that lift. Low quality in both coils and shocks that really is not going to do anything for you..
Like dirtman mentioned, poor quality across the board isn't awesome.If your already spending close to 500 save a few $ and do it right save for a few more months on a quality kit and do it once. I put this in https://www.metalcloak.com/4-Door-Je...ost-p/7126.htm not long after picking up my JK and now am in the process of re-lifting to a proper setup. If I had paid a few more hundred up front, in the long run , it would have costed me less
Old 12-27-2017, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you could get over them not being fancy sway bar links, you can make some yourself for under $35 ($20 in rod ends from ebay, $5 for stick of 1/2" all thread, 4 bolts/nuts and maybe a couple washers from Ace, and a little spray paint or bedliner you have around).
Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

All right I follow the logic. Skyjacker kit is really that garbage? I do like the MC kit but man $1400 that's almost another year of saving for me or at very least six months if I am inventive. Also with an MC kit wouldn't I need to have JJs on my axles?
Dirtman I realize per signature that you do not give recommendations. With that said would the OME sport kit be better? Speaking of OME they have heavy and light load. I reckon it's a stiffer spring, in the long run since I intend on towing will heavy load kit be the way to go?

I apologize if this seems like I am fishing. Would AEV kit be a better choice? I ask because I really had put thought and effort into the Skyjacker kit figuring it was a done deal. Then you guys make me reflect hard on my choice. xD
Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You are not compairing apple to apple with the $1400 metal cloak kit. It has way more stuff that is going to give you a better ride then the skyjacker lift.

On a two door with the OME HD coils you are going to get more like 3.5" and you are going to have to be real heavy to actually get 2" out of it. Your two door is also rated for 2000 lbs of towing so you are not going to be putting a lot of load on the jeep, typically 10% tongue wieght so 200 pounds which would sag the back of a stock jeep 1/2"-3/4"

Skyjacker had a good following in the old days of jeeping but have not really kept up with technology and there have been a lot of innovations in terms of coils and shocks and control arm joints( which you are not looking at).

Since you don't look like you are looking to maximize articulation for some serious rock crawling I would look at this kit from metal cloak https://www.metalcloak.com/4-Door-Je...ost-p/7126.htm. It has a dual rate coil for good road manners and has caster correction and shock extenders so you can re use your stock shocks. If you think you need new shocks metal cloak has their value based rock sport shocks and you might also look at Rancho as they are well received for a budget shock.

You can also just buy components as you go starting with coils and shock extenders if cost is a big factor. If you are not off roading you can get buy without things like sway bar links, bump stops, and caster correction and pinion angles should be acceptable at an actual lift height of 2" For just over $400 you can get a better quality coil with shocks extensions without sacrificing your ride and available funds.
The following users liked this post:
Seizer (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Dirtman, I appreciate the insight. The JK is definitely a daily driver. I do like to hit mountain passes, and old abandoned rail beds etc. I've wheeled a minute amount with Resharp. I do mean minute. He had to wait for me quite a bit since his ride his far more capable than my stocker. That being though next time I'd like to keep up with him and finish something like Mt. Antero.

You are are correct in that I don't want to do any heavy wheeling, no crazy China Wall or Holy Cross stuff here in Colorado. Definitely something like Mosquito Pass, Imogene Pass, and Engineer Pass stuff. I'm looking for some more clearance so I can feel a bit more confident when these trails throw a granite boulder in my way. I had to chicken out with Resharp when I saw the size of some of the rocks on my way to Baldwin Lakes. My lack of off highway experience I'm sure doesn't help.

Regarding shocks. I'd like to upgrade from stock.

The biggest rush at the moment for me is having a gusseted and trussed D30 up front. When I hit speed bumps or even a small drainage channel at a higher speed my truss bangs into my drivers side frame. At the moment I do my best to make sure that doesn't happen, but I cannot always prevent it. I'll continue to do more research and truly a big thanks on giving me an outside perspective.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
I've wheeled a minute amount with Resharp. I do mean minute. He had to wait for me quite a bit since his ride his far more capable than my stocker.
LOL.....We were gonna get there eventually....even if at a slow pace.....which I didn't mind at all btw. Your jeep is more capable than you think.

I'm sure I'll be back up to see dad in the spring or summer. Work up your confidence and we'll go back out.....even if we just take mine so you can see what the trail is like.

Quick Reply: Lift kit trigger being pulled soon