Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift question...

Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also a proponent of wheeling a bit totally, or very close to stock. You'll be amazed at what it can do, and will make a better driver out of you, learning how to pick good lines. I see too many people who do lifts and 35's before ever going off road, and then barrel over everything, and then when they get to tougher trails they have no clue what they should do unless they have a spotter for everything.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you lift the jeep and change angle of rake, be ready for a loss in MPG. Depending on future tires and your right foot you can lose ~ 6 mg. Even a small change like a front only 1/2" spring spacer will drop your mpg. If you want to be a little different from stock, increase road handling, not kill mpg- then use quality wheel spacers to increase your track. If you want the look of a lifted rig but want to keep mpg, suggest cutting fenders or use aftermarket flat fenders.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 03-23-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The only that caused a noticeable drop in MPG was my tires. my leveling kit never did anything to my mpg, nor did anything else I have done. But you will notice with bigger heavier tires.

the teraflex leveling kit will be your best bet for getting a little bump in height without any drawbacks.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While rotational mass and rolling resistance have an effect on fuel efficiency, aerodynamic drag at high speeds increase more so the faster you go. Hypercars have minimal aero drag with splitters, diffusers balanced with downforce wings, spoilers to go fast in straights and turns. Jeeps nose down rake and front air dam are there for a reason: clean air flow. Raise the jeep, remove the air dam, add roof rack, lights, winch and air turbulence results. That messy air flow negates fuel efficiency. The faster you go the more power needed to push the mass through the air. Example: run with 3x4 sheet of cardboard in front of you. Run with 1/4" edge facing forward, then with full flat 3 x4 square into the wind. Can't run as fast? Aero drag is over looked too much. But it's a balance for off- road ability and daily mileage range.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 03-23-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Billbikes
... then when they get to tougher trails they have no clue what they should do unless they have a spotter for everything.
I'm sure you didn't mean to imply this, but just for clarity: People who are uncomfortable on an obstacle should not be discouraged from asking for one. Even if they do so frequently. Experience and confidence will cure that in short order, and better that than ruin the outing with a couple thousand dollars in preventable body damage.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No that wasn't my point. Use a spotter definitely. Especially when you are unsure if where to go. My point was that if you start out having to "see" a good line on the easier trails, because you don't gave the lift, that when you do get a lift, you shouldn't need a spotter as much. At least when you do need a spotter, you can use him/her more as a guide, than a crutch?

Quick Reply: lift question...