Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Limit Straps

Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limit Straps

Who has limit straps? Why did you install them? Won't my upper and lower control arms and track bars limit my down travel before my shocks bottom out? Or am I missing something and I should install them as cheep insurance?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob'sSaharaJK
Who has limit straps? Why did you install them? Won't my upper and lower control arms and track bars limit my down travel before my shocks bottom out? Or am I missing something and I should install them as cheep insurance?

depending on your setup 99% of the time your shock will be the limit when it bottoms out hence the limit straps. they are good cheap insurance, but even with that being said most people dont run them.

Take your lower shock bolts out and slowly drop the axle. it will drop a very long ways. Id think even your driveshaft will limit before those would...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

I have limit straps in the rear. it protects the short rear driveshaft from turning at too great an angle. By limiting drop your also limiting how far up the tire on the other side will go up into the wheel well/body. it also stops the rear shocks just shy of full extend. They should be in more lift kits.
For my application I will buy longer limit straps when I get an Atlas transfer case, because the Atlas is shorter, the drive shaft will be longer, thereby decreasing the angle of the joints. I'm hoping to get 3/4 to 1" of extra droop. I could be wrong,, Im not a suspension expert
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

So this raises the question, how do you determine the length of straps one would need?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socal_hemihead
So this raises the question, how do you determine the length of straps one would need?
depends on where you mount them (axle tubes by shock or top of dif) also depends on if your trying to keep your shocks from fully extending or if your trying to save a driveshaft angle. in either case you want them whatever length would keep you just outside of either of those "danger zones" so to speak.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I cover setting up limit straps in this thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...shocks-294737/
Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info, looks like I will be adding some cheap insurance to avoid blowing out my new shocks!!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey there guys, I'm going to be putting limiting straps on my JK as well and I looked at Teraflex. They have a video showing installation of their straps. I'm not going to use their straps as I need longer ones but I like how they mount their's. I don't weld so the more bolt on the better. They use existing holes in the frame and install a special nutsert into the frame front and rear. The front lower has you drill a 1/2" hole in the side of the front spring perch and the rear lower use an existing hole by the lower rear shock/swaybar mount that just need to be enlarged a little bit. I called Teraflex and they were totally accommodating and I purchased just their mounting hardware, including the nutserts for the frame and spacers that are used once they are installed. Now, as soon as it warms up here a bit I'll disconnect front front swaybar and get my front and rear lengths, then order my straps. I'll post pics when I put them on.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Do you happen to have link to that video?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

I hope thats one hell of a nutsert! I used them for my fenders,, but not sure I would trust them to the forces endured by a limit strap. Hopefully the ones they use are a beefier design. If you don't weld, you can always order the tabs you need and pay a guy to make the 4 small welds it would take. Good luck

Quick Reply: Limit Straps