Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which locker first??

Old 11-29-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be off my rocker, cuz I'd do the front first. But here in Michigan, mainly your climbing out of a mud hole, which in my opinion the front helps more. I did a lock-rite in the front on my XJ, and it was a night and day difference for the wheeling we have here.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys and gals all great responses. I am going to wait and do both at the same time hopefully tax time. So instead I just got some 35s and will do it all at the same time lockers front and rear and sleeves for the front. i wheel alot with the gfs family alot and do most everything the do except climbing waterfalls so I will just wait and do it together.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally, I would be a bit leery of locking a front d30 axle with 35's. That may be another consideration.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin
just because you have never need it them it doesn't mean they don't work.
i dont remember ever saying they dont work
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
understand, I'm completely for lockers, Who the hell wants to wheel with someone that has to beat there shit to get over rocks, chances are they will be the ones that break and get you stuck on the trail for hours, trying to pull there shit out. That makes a bad day for everyone.

where we wheel, lockers are needed. Not on every trail, but the harder ones for sure.
we arent talking about TRULY built rigs nnow are we?
I never said they were crap
SO back to number 1 TRULY built rigs....... HMMMMM lockers yes HANS device YES FIRE extinguisher YES TRIANGULATED roll cage yes DANA 60 FRONT and rear YES and even a PORTAL conversion here and there....
so buy your logic I must need all that too???

Some of us do not get 4 feet of snow, and if i did...no thanks i will be by the fire with the wife and kids not out in my Jeep thanks. Rock Crawling is our thing, no mud no snow and ice just Rocks.

And as for beating my Jeep to get over the rocks, lets see, 98 TJ is my main trail Jeep, stock dana 30 front and 35 rear and has been down the worst Rausch Creek has to offer. no lockers and still in one piece, however i did ned to replace the front lower control arms since it has 32's and only 9 inches of ground clearance. SO 11 years and NOTHING has broken on the trail. Be it blues Blacks and even the RED ones.
I have been hung up a few times, yes but when ALL 4 tires are off of the ground,HMMM would lockers help? that is why we dont go out alone right?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

sorry piginajepp...somehow i quoted the message and got it wrong. I realize this wasnt your response, and i hope people canfigure it too. have had much sleep last day or so. So again, my apologies to piginajeep. for misquoting you by mistake.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i figured the front so it would pull you over things...i have the factory locker in the rear of mine and have used it several times.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd LIKE lockers but am still running open-open and do all the same trails that guys double-locked do around here (Calgary)...

BUT, that being said I do have to pull the mild kamikaze methods once in a while. I tend to use momentum to kinda thrust over humps and slow down on the "downside" if you will. Hard uphills tend to require lots of reving and pinpoint line picking - but this also goes hand-in-hand with me not getting stuck on uphill climbs either. Lots of locked guys crawl TOO slow IMO and end up getting stuck in ruts that I just roll through. There's a reason I spent my money on bigger tires, heavy front/rear bumpers, steel fenders and full underbelly skids with boat sliders... and tuck in the mirrors....

So, I think it's true you don't NEED lockers, but your rig will likely last a lot longer with them. Unless you're doing hard wheeling with lots of rock crawling I'd save the cash for other stuff FIRST, but still plan on them as an upgrade. I personally have a hard time justifying spending money on my D30 and 44's when D60's solve lots of the weakness issues with the smaller carriers. Open diffs don't snap axles as often as locked, so I MIGHT lock the D44, but I'm leaving the D30 open as long as I own it. Better believe the future D60's will have selectable lockers though.

^^^^^ Can add one thing to the above... it's definitely more interesting NOT having lockers once in a while......

Quick Reply: Which locker first??