Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD Signature Series Shorty arrived and installed.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eracer76
...But HOLY COW, it sticks out 12.5" ?
I haven’t really hit things with my stock front bumper yet but I’ve had the same concerns, so I did some calculations and it doesn’t seem to be much of a difference.

When you replace the stock plastic bumper with the LoD bumper I think you loose about 3º on the approach angle. If you have a 2” lift you get the 3º back.

While I don’t know why the LoD bumper has to have the extra unwelcome extension, I don’t think it’s going to make a big change to the stock approach angle.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe002
......While I don’t know why the LoD bumper has to have the extra unwelcome extension, I don’t think it’s going to make a big change to the stock approach angle.
I do believe its to accommodate the factory foglights in the stock location, still have a winch submerged in the bumper and not interfere with the Rubicon's E disco motors.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VBS4
I do believe its to accommodate the factory foglights in the stock location, still have a winch submerged in the bumper and not interfere with the Rubicon's E disco motors.
Three things I want in a bumper!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just went back out and measured again.

Measurements taken from the 4 bolt mounting plate(on vehicle frame)

Stock bumper sticks out: 3 1/2 inches. Please verify this for yourself so my numbers are accurate.
LOD bumper sticks out: 5 1/2 inches.
*note* does not measure the roller fairlead or hawse fairlead* Only the flat surface of the bumper

Difference for the mathematically challenged : 2 inches
and of that, the last 1 1/2" of the LOD is angle up 45 degrees (looking from underneath) Hope that makes sense. Refer to the above pic for a reference.

This bumper DOES NOT hang down any lower than stock.

Hope this helps more.

Last edited by VBS4; 03-08-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

VBS4 - I used your original measurement of 12.5” from the grill to the front of the bumper. The stock bumper is 11”, so the LoD is 1.5” deeper. I haven’t taken the front bumper off mine yet, but if you measure from the back of the recovery hook on the stock bumper to the front of the bumper stop it’s 4”. If the LoD is 5.5”, then the LoD appears to still be 1.5” deeper.

The stock bumper is about 8” high. The top 1.5” is above the grill, so about 6.5” of it is below the grill, and the bottom of the bumper is slightly curved. You indicated the LoD bumper is 7.5” high and it looks like it is slightly above the grill too, and curves at the bottom, so I made the assumption that the height of the stock and LoD bumpers is about the same.

From what I’ve seen so far if you want a stubby, that takes factory fogs, has a low profile mounting for a PowerPlant, and has a skid plate for the e-disconnect the dimensions will be fairly close to the LoD - give or take an inch or two. If you want to compromise on some of features then you can probably get a few inches off the depth. Without modifying the stock mounting brackets for the bumper, I’m not sure you can get it to be less than 7” deep (distance from the grill to the edge of the mounting bracket).
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

VBS4 - I used your original measurement of 12.5” from the grill to the front of the bumper. The stock bumper is 11”, so the LoD is 1.5” deeper. I haven’t taken the front bumper off mine yet, but if you measure from the back of the recovery hook on the stock bumper to the front of the bumper stop it’s 4”. If the LoD is 5.5”, then the LoD appears to still be 1.5” deeper.....
Thanks
I'm glad you measured the stock bumper while it was on. I knew I would be off a little since obviously I took the stock off already. I was trying to measure it on the ground....lol So I believe your 1.5" deeper is probably correct.

If you want to compromise on some of features then you can probably get a few inches off the depth. Without modifying the stock mounting brackets for the bumper, I’m not sure you can get it to be less than 7” deep (distance from the grill to the edge of the mounting bracket).
I completely agree. When I measured this, it was exactly 7".

Summary:
I would say with ANY bumper out there we could discuss the pro's, con's and personal preferences till we're blue in the face. But if you're looking for a well rounded bumper that has all the options already discussed, you will be very happy with the LOD

Last edited by VBS4; 03-08-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: LOD Signature Series Shorty arrived and installed.