Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the seat belt dinger mod. That is great. I always buckle up on the road or the trail. BUt if I am running across the property to do a chore, or down the street to pick up something sometimes well you know.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Not sure if it's been mentioned but a spare key in your wallet and a cheap transponder key from eBay will save you from a big headache.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by EClass
Hey guys / gals.

Read through all roughly 500 posts and wanted to share.

Someone early on asked for the puck lift. I have to admit, I did it. Worked on my 94 back in the day and lasted 10 years. $24 for pucks. $32 for all hardware. Grade 8 bolts and bushings. Pics attached. Took about 2 hours.

Also, I hated the silver on my interior doors. I painted them with a textured Heavy Duty Rustoleum flat black. Love the look so much better inside. Did the inside of the soft top with black fabric paint too. Pics attached. Took about hour a door. 3 coats. Cool part is it dries in 15 mins. Took off all panels but still had to mask some stuff.

Love your thread. "Borrowing" a few more ideas from it!
Those doors look awesome.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
I did the seat belt dinger mod. That is great. I always buckle up on the road or the trail. BUt if I am running across the property to do a chore, or down the street to pick up something sometimes well you know.
I hate the dinger. I thought unplugging it would solve it but noooooo...I had to get out and plug it in because even after I buckled up it didn't recognize I did!!!

So, how to please!?! I'll do it now!!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wads13
I was in the same boat (wanted to still run the front inner liners), so I trimmed them up with a dremel where needed (I kept enough up front to use the original body clip placement) and near the rear of the front fenders leave yourself enough of the plastic to fold back to the body then attach them with either body clips, nutserts, and/or sheet metal screws (with any drilling, cutting, etc.. into the body, make sure you touch up the paint to avoid rust). To bend the plastic liners I heated along where I wanted the bend and once you get them warm enough they will bend/fold relatively easily and will hold their shape (notice I said warm not hot, you don't want to melt/burn the plastic). For the heating I simply used a charcoal grill lighter I had and it worked very nicely. Here are some pics (I don't have any close ups but can work on getting some maybe, right now it's 19° and snowing pretty well so might be tomorrow or later).

It's a little nerve racking at first, but if you have a steady hand once you do it you'll wonder why it took you so long to complete this mod.

Attachment 244001Attachment 244002Attachment 244003Attachment 244004

Good luck
I drilled a hole in the liner and body to run a zip tie through to help hold them in place after chopping them. Works great. I bedlined (Rustoleum) the wheel wells too.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Just spent the last two hours reading through this thread while the wife slept! Great Ideas!!! Glad I have tomorrow off...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

I have done several of these mods on my 2010 unlimited JK Keep it up !!!!!
I have a small mod I did with a net out of our 2010 2ss Camaro Ill show you all That we traded in on this jeep.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MikekiM

The zip tie mod uses the zip tie around the hood latches rubber part to take up the slack. It doesn't impede opening the hood in any way.

The 2011 stickers are heat sealed to the visor and don't come off. Seems like a lot of work for Chrysler to make sure a set stickers don't come off. Maybe they should focus on water leaks instead ?
On my 08 JKU I just took the driver visor and passenger visor off and swapped them. There are no stickers on the backside. So the backside of the passenger visor becomes the frontside of the driver side visor. Cost $0 took 10 min. This way you still have them just in case you(god forbid)sell/trade your jeep. Just unscrew the visors at the top and slide them off the rods. Then swap. Don't know about 2011-2012 though. Just thought I'd share.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi

AntennaX. 13" offroad antenna, 15 bucks.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by briancarter

On my 08 JKU I just took the driver visor and passenger visor off and swapped them. There are no stickers on the backside. So the backside of the passenger visor becomes the frontside of the driver side visor. Cost $0 took 10 min. This way you still have them just in case you(god forbid)sell/trade your jeep. Just unscrew the visors at the top and slide them off the rods. Then swap. Don't know about 2011-2012 though. Just thought I'd share.
Wish that would work for 2011 & 2012's but no go.

I think Jeep put more effort into preserving my damn visor decals than preserving my painted hinges!!

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?