Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Make my Death wobble go away!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KOGEHA
Very good feedback...

DW and scrub radius are very much related....

DW is inherent to the solid axle design.. What is a variable is the amount of DW... small initial DW will be absorbed by the steering damper..Big changes of the scrub radius, (s.a tire size, wheel spacing/offset, caster, etc...over the design intend,) will set you up for a severe DW which cannot be controlled..But rest assured a good steering damper will stop DW (providing all the other variables are within the design intend)

For those who still have a hang up with this, I suggest to do some reading about scrub radius, ackerman angle, gyroscopic dynamic affects, caster and scrub radius relationship, etc..

It is important to understand the dynamics which are taking place with solid axle designs.. Why you think OEM's love to go to IFS...
Stop posting if you do not know what you are talking about. You will just confuse the others. DW is caused by something loose in the system. DW CAN NOT BE CURED WITH A SS. I have friends who drive their Jeeps with out a SS just out of principle.

Common things that CAUSE DW:
- Out of alignment
- Tires
- Shocks (really not that common but it does happen)
- Worn track bar bushings
- Loose track bar
- Worn TRE's
- Worn ball joints
- Worn unit bearings
- Worn lower control arm bushings
- Loose tie rod
- Damaged tie rod
- Loose drag link

Your track bar is the most common cause.

I replaced almost everything in my front end tracking down DW and learned a lot about these cures. Mine ended up being many different things. I had to replace my lower control arms, my track bar, my tie rod and drag link (the TRE's were worn), and finally, I had to ditch the stock rims and tires because they were causing trouble.

And for your last remark, the OE's choose IFS and IRS for ride comfort. Solid axles add a lot of unsprung weight and you generally have a higher COG.

Last edited by SquareLJ; 09-01-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: I must of had Warn on my mind....

Quick Reply: Make my Death wobble go away!