Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Maximum articulation with minimal lift? What to do next...

Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maximum articulation with minimal lift? What to do next...

I'm wondering what i can do to get some more flex out of my suspension without lifting my Jeep any higher. Aka droop.

This is the current setup, let me know what you think the limiting factors are or what has worked well in your JK.
I find even with the front sway bar disconnected I'm not getting very much articulation. I know the HD springs are stiff but I'm curious what you all think is really limiting my travel.

Stock axles, LSD rear open front
OME HD springs.
OME Nitro shocks absorbers.
OME 2" bumpstops front and rear.
6" extended brake lines front and rear.
Sway bar disconnects in front.
Stock sway bar links in rear.
1.25" wheel spacers.
Stock Rubicon BFG tires and wheels. (35" tires pictured have been removed and replaced with stock ones)
ARB Bull bar and winch up front, spare tire and recovery gear in back.
Click image for larger version

Name:	142.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	263103
Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Longer shocks and coil retainers.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guess would be that the shocks reach thier limit on extension. Easy way to find out would jack up a front about 3 in off the ground, put a jack stand under the frame, remove the tire, unbolt the shock from the shock mount at the axle, slowly let the jack down that's supporting the axle on that side, if the axle continues down past the end of the shock when it's all the way extended then it the shock holding the axle from flexing more.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are limited with a JK. Using coil retainers can stretch them at extension, resulting in spring rate fatigue and eventual (non-warranty) failure. JK springs fall out a lot easier than TJ springs. If you want droop with minimal lift, consider ACOS spacers because they allow the springs to unseat from the top and not fall out for a few inches. In the rear however, you may need a retainer on the bottom as suggested above. But do the bottom only. In the front you shouldn't need a retainer.

Coilovers are also an option, but way more expensive.

Good luck!

When I built my JK I wanted balance so my up travel and down travel are fairly equal.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Longer shocks and coil retainers.
That was my plan but I was told that only works with articulated control arms.

Whats the risk? Just damage to rubber control arm bushings or could I end up breaking the axle mounts off?

Seen it happen on TJ's and XJ's on the trail, the JK mounts don't look any stronger.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you go out to Northridge's website, you will find an OME Long Travel kit that they put together. It includes a set of OME Long Travel shocks as well as a few other items that might interest you. Should be a good place to start for some ideas, anyway.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LOST
That was my plan but I was told that only works with articulated control arms.

Whats the risk? Just damage to rubber control arm bushings or could I end up breaking the axle mounts off?

Seen it happen on TJ's and XJ's on the trail, the JK mounts don't look any stronger.
Your on the right track! Your factory arms will put a lot of unwanted stress on the control arm mounts and/or the bushings in the arms and can cause you some issues. A nice set of aftermarket control arms will help with gaining some flex.

RK
Old 01-12-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be missing something. I have the same set up, but Teraflex arms and no bump stops..I'm getting ready to buy those now... Wouldn't the bump stops be the limiting factor on your current set up?

I attached a pic of the flex I am getting now... I think I will be getting about what you are when I put the bump stops in for bigger tires.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2256891948.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	263120  
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

ok so i was in the same boat you got. looking for maximum flex with my current set up (look at signature) let me address the set up in the front. you said you have ome nitro shocks with these lenghts 14.17 collapsed 23.42 extended. now here is what i did i wanted to buy the ome LT shocks 27.5"extended / 16" collapsed but were kind of pricey so i got some SKYJACKER SOFTRIDE HYDRO SHOCKS Collapsed length (in.): 15.56
Extended length (in.): 26.750
They were like $91 for the front from 4wheelparts now the only thing you might want to add for the front are the teraflex front spring retainer clamp its $10.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

Good call on Northridge! I didn't even think of asking them.
They're located pretty close to where I live, I may just have to drive out there and have them take a look at it first hand.
I have what looks like about 1/2 of the OME LT kit already installed. Adjustable track bars and shocks shouldn't be too bad.
I'm still worried about bending the control arm mounts on my axles.

The bumpstops don't limit droop, just upward travel. With the 35's i was rubbing the fenders before I hit the factory bump stops. May not need them with the BFG's I have on now but I will need them if I put long travel shocks in.

My understanding is the OME shocks will work as droop stops but not bump stops. This may not be true for all brands.
You will damage the shock or worse your shock mounts if you bottom them out too hard.

I looked at the ACOS spacers, damn nice looking hardware. problem is they lift the front 1.5" minimum. Im already a 1/2" higher in the front than the rear and don't want to raise it any further. I agree I need some spring retainers of some sort, just not sure what the best set up for my application is yet.
really trying to keep this next phase of suspension work under 1500 so I can still get an airlocker for the rear by spring.
JKS has some sweet control arms but those alone are over 2 grand.

cis911 how do you like the ride of the SJ shocks? price seems too good to be true.

Quick Reply: Maximum articulation with minimal lift? What to do next...