Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Maximum articulation with minimal lift? What to do next...

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOST
Now thats some serious flex nacho, mind sharing some info on your set up?
You running articulated control arms?
all 8 RK midarms, RK trackbars and brakets and teraflex fox piggyback shocks. Control arms are the biggest thing if you want good flex. I have spring retainers front and rear. Next round of mods for me is going to be RK long arms,w/ 3 link, evo front coilovers, rear RK5.5 springs and evo king shocks in the rear.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool!!! The guys at Northridge confirmed the standard OME HD coils I have will work with the OME LT shocks.
I do need adjustable track bars and lower front control arms. They're checking on the Rock Krawler parts inventory now.

The bump stops, discos and ss +6" brake lines I have installed will all work with the OME LT kit too.
Should make the installation pretty straightforward.

Once I get all the pieces together I'll post up some install pics and compare the OME standard vs Long Travel suspension flex.

Thanks for all the tips gang, makes me feel a lot safer mixing parts and brands knowing others have done it with good results.
It's always nerve racking to buy an incomplete lift kit or a new brand and just hope it all goes together smoothly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterfall BrownscampORV.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	266082Click image for larger version

Name:	Hogs Back.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	266083Attachment 0
Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

WOW, Northridge is amazing!

Shipped my OME long travel kit yesterday during a snowstorm, arrived TODAY during and icestorm...
Nobody has been at work the past two days. I'm #3 out of 400 peolpe that made it in. The other 2 skied to work.

Name:	Snow Seattle08 061.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	267006
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Thought I'd post a couple "before" pics with the standard OME Nitro shocks for those interested in how they compare to the OME LT's.
This is before anything was replaced. Standard OME 2.5" lift. I'll get the "after" pictures with the OME LT kit posted soon.

Name:	DSC00167.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	268823Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00169.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	268827Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00172.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	268828
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump, must see more! I want to do a similar setup on my JKU!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here is something.....maybe

Like a few others have said look at your rear sway bar links. I just added some evo rock star skids and even though I thought I read that the new generation does not change the axle side mounting position height wise I am having rubbing issues with my set up now. So to clarify this I have the Teraflex 2.5” coil lift with 1” spacers in the rear. The kit comes with 12” rear sway bar end links as opposed to the 9” stock ones. For whatever reason when I installed my lift I installed the sway bar links on the inner side of the axle mount as well as the inside of the sway bar. This is not how it is supposed to be so when I added the rock stars I put them on the outside. Now that I have them on the outside (which in my mind will provide more leverage as there is now an increase in length between the flexing point???) my 12” sway bar links rub my tire side wall at full stuff. So I had some stock 9” sway bar links and shoved those in there now. However now at full droop I am limiting downward travel due to the sway bar links contacting the brake caliper due to the increased angle because of the shorter sway bar links. So I would imagine you’re in the same boat. You must be upwards of 3” of lift in the rear and with the stock sway bar links I am guessing at full droop yours may be touching as well. Just something to check on. I know I have issues that I need to address I have to cut and reweld my 12" links into 11" that should work.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

This might be a stupid question but
1) would the currie anti-rock solve this
2) would it work with the EVO rockstars
Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkjacksonjack
I figured this out on accident. I'm getting the evo rock star rear control arm skids. They also movr the rear shock mount up 1 1/2 inches for clearence. a side effect of that is that it will give you 1 1/2 more inches of flex in the rear by allowing the axle to drop before the shock extends all the way out. Its a win/win. more clearance and more flex.
Yes on droop, but depending on tire size & shock size, it also could limit bump travel & kill your shocks. But you checked that, right?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I´m also a fan of "minmal lifts". And also watching all the great videos from the JK project I also noticed that most people go for 3" or max 4" lifts.
And they also drive 40" tires. So it seems to work.

But what is the best lift height ? What shokcs to take ? Most decent shocks are for lifts form 3" on. But actually it shouldn´t make a difference if you go for max. lif or max droop.

Large lift heights migth cause some trouble. wether its for towing trailers or with all the other parts.
But I think the part issue you have anyway. wether it is a 5" lift or you droop the axle for 5" or so.
I´m not sure about the shocks either.
Right now I´m running a 1-1,5" lift (have to measure when everything is done) with springs only. Next week I get 33" tires on some rugged ridge rims. So it should have a very wide wheelbase.

But Í don´t know how to continue. I don´t want to go for a 4", 4.5" lift in the next year. But I also don´t see a clear way to continue with my setup (springs) right now.
Main point are the shocks. I just don´t know into which direction I should go. stay low and buy 2" shocks and continue with small lift springs and other fenders ?
Or directly turn to 3" shocks and rise the lift to ???? But will this work right now with the small lift springs ??
Anyway I would "only" go for 35" tires. Larger will be probably to much effort (costs) at least here in Germany.

Quick Reply: Maximum articulation with minimal lift? What to do next...