Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snags922
I just installed the GC 2.5" ARB Edition lift on my 2012 JKUR. I am looking at installing the Rock Hard 4x4 Parts JK Oil Pan, Transmission and Dual Catalytic Converter Skid Plate. Does anyone else have this configuration? If so, are there any problems with clearance on the stock driveshaft?

Rockhard claims that "Our tests have shown stock drivelines to clear this skid at 40" of flex". That is probably with the stock suspension also. So it got me wondering about installing with the lift.
With the OME shocks you have the driveshaft will contact the exhaust cross-over before the skid.... If you wheel with the stock shaft it will not last long so run whatever skid you want, you will be replacing the shaft soon anyway.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the GC 2.5" ARB Edition lift on my 2012 JKUR. I am looking at installing the Rock Hard 4x4 Parts JK Oil Pan, Transmission and Dual Catalytic Converter Skid Plate. Does anyone else have this configuration? If so, are there any problems with clearance on the stock driveshaft?

Rockhard claims that "Our tests have shown stock drivelines to clear this skid at 40" of flex". That is probably with the stock suspension also. So it got me wondering about installing with the lift.
I have the same lift and skids on my 2013 jkur auto and don't have any issues with the drive shaft and skids. I did upgrade to a coast 1310 right away tho. At any sort of flex the stock shaft was at its limits. And even with the coast shaft I still had to get an afe ypipe (spacers would work too) as it was hitting the crossover pipe. I would recommend getting a new shaft right away.

Sent from my phone.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Recharge
I have the same lift and skids on my 2013 jkur auto and don't have any issues with the drive shaft and skids. I did upgrade to a coast 1310 right away tho. At any sort of flex the stock shaft was at its limits. And even with the coast shaft I still had to get an afe ypipe (spacers would work too) as it was hitting the crossover pipe. I would recommend getting a new shaft right away.

Sent from my phone.
I had my crossover moved by a muffler shop. I plan on getting a new driveshaft but not right away. My mods budget has been depleted for this year...LOL!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

I had my crossover moved by a muffler shop. I plan on getting a new driveshaft but not right away. My mods budget has been depleted for this year...LOL!
Keep an eye on the repezzas joint then. With the OME shocks you will have more down travel than the drive shaft can do. So you'll start tearing the boot. I also worry about the driveshaft supporting the weight of the front axle at it's limit. Not sure if that would put too much stress on the transfer case output shaft and bearings or not.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The driveshaft does not support the weight of the axle.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The driveshaft does not support the weight of the axle.
Wouldn't there be extra force from the weight of the front axle on the drive shat if the shocks where long enough to extend past the limit of articulation the stock drive shaft could do? So while it wouldn't "support the weight of the axle", I would think there would be extra force placed on the joint at the transfer case because the axle would be trying to go down more than the joint can angle.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The driveshaft gets shorter when the suspension is drooped on a short arm suspension, if anything drooping too much would cause the spline section to bottom out and push up on the driveshaft and transfer case.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The driveshaft gets shorter when the suspension is drooped on a short arm suspension, if anything drooping too much would cause the spline section to bottom out and push up on the driveshaft and transfer case.
yeah, not sure if the stock shaft would bottom out before it reached the limitations of the stock joint.

I was thinking about this angle being too much and the downward motion of the axle putting too much stress on the joint. But maybe it wouldn't.

Either way, I think it sounds like a good idea to get a new drive shaft. But maybe you don't have to. I'm not an expert.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yes, that is too much angle in the driveshaft and will lead to failure.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Installed my 2.5 arb kit on Sunday

Aligned on Monday although it still pulls to the drivers side

Took it out on Tuesday with my son, he's 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread