Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idiotec
What the word on squeaking? I have not had much time with mine, 2.5", front LCA's, front track bar, rear bracket, OME shocks, but have played around a little disconnected and it definetly seems to squeak more while flexing around compared to stock. Same for everyone? I might loosen everything up, and re-torque to see if it makes a difference. I know the rear coils are bowed quite a bit, and the rear passenger does not want to seat great at the top. The basic correction wedges best (easiest) option for this? Or do not worry about it?
While I haven't off roaded much yet with my MC system installed I have zero squeaking. I used to with the stock suspension when I had bolt on front LCA skids. I could never get them tight enough to not move and cause squeaking when flexing. I finally canned them and welded some on to resolve this.

Correction wedges will help the spring bow some, but the ultimate fix is to either cut and reweld the perches or cut and install the Synergy bolt on perches rotated to better geometry. (I'm not sure it the later will work with all rear track bar brackets.) I plan to cut, rotate, and reweld my perches when it gets warmer.

Another question, I have done some flexing on rocks on my property to try and check clearances, bumps, etc, but it is not very scientific. Is there a more controlled way to flex everything out to check these things?
It is best to do a lot of this while you are installing your lift. basically you want to install everything but the springs and jack the axle around to check clearances. Then, I've found the fine tuning to be done easiest with a fork truck where you can raise one tire at a time slowly while checking often....
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idiotec
What the word on squeaking? I have not had much time with mine, 2.5", front LCA's, front track bar, rear bracket, OME shocks, but have played around a little disconnected and it definetly seems to squeak more while flexing around compared to stock. Same for everyone? I might loosen everything up, and re-torque to see if it makes a difference. I know the rear coils are bowed quite a bit, and the rear passenger does not want to seat great at the top. The basic correction wedges best (easiest) option for this? Or do not worry about it?

Another question, I have done some flexing on rocks on my property to try and check clearances, bumps, etc, but it is not very scientific. Is there a more controlled way to flex everything out to check these things?

Can't wait for the summer wheeling season to get going!

Thanks

No squeaking here. Check your bushings. I had a couple out of the box where the snap ring had unseated. Someone else had one where the ring unseated while on the Jeep.

If you have a stock driveshaft, you should be able to remove the spring bow by adjusting the rear arms. The stock shaft doesn't like to have the pinion pointing toward the T-case. On a 4-door, it should be easy to fix.

If you have a new DC shaft, then you can simply cut the coil perches and weld some new ones on. Artec has some awesome perches for like $50.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnabird333
I took that screenshot this morning off of the control arm page
I see it I was looking at another illustration but I'm still not following your math. Plus it says in bold that this is a starting point only so even if they somehow blew the equation and were off by 2 inches on the length its still up to the end user to make the adjustment. If they were confident what they were providing was dead nuts for everybody they would be fixed length not adjustable. Of course they should be "close" though. I would be dissapointed if I got arms with the rod ends laying in a box and the instructions said "figure it out".
Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rsbmg
I see it I was looking at another illustration but I'm still not following your math. Plus it says in bold that this is a starting point only so even if they somehow blew the equation and were off by 2 inches on the length its still up to the end user to make the adjustment. If they were confident what they were providing was dead nuts for everybody they would be fixed length not adjustable. Of course they should be "close" though. I would be dissapointed if I got arms with the rod ends laying in a box and the instructions said "figure it out".
Maybe this will help. The white lines represent the arm lengths. My stock arms sat darn near level with the ground pre lift. The two blue dashed lines are 4" apart. I rotated one end until the opposite end was 4" lower. The upper diagram uses an 18.6" length because this is the difference between the stock arms. The lower uses 19.4375" because this is the difference between the MC arm suggested lengths. You will note that the lift causes the axle to move forward 0.4356" with the stock arms and pushes the axle BACK 0.4213" with the MC arms when referenced against the stock location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arm Length.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	541025

Now, this is all theoretical. In reality I measured my axle to be roughly 5/8" (0.625") farther back post lift with the MC "starter" lengths. All this said, I absolutely agree with you that this is nothing more than a starting length and one should adjust as they see fit for their build from there. I am just sharing where my numbers came from
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Arm Length.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	541018  
Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I will check the bushings, and probably loosen and retorque everything while I am at it.

I don't have rear adj arms, so I'll probably end up doing the perches, or, if nothing is rubbing, just wait and get rear arms down the road.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now, this is all theoretical. In reality I measured my axle to be roughly 5/8" (0.625") farther back post lift with the MC "starter" lengths.
That is what is confusing me. I could swear on the MC site I read that it pushes the axle back 5/8 and you are saying that's what happened with yours. So I was trying to figure out how you both arrived at the same answer inputting different data. I could have just seen something wrong too who knows.

No matter as long as it all works out in the end!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Default Metalcloak Thread

Maybe this will help. The white lines represent the arm lengths. My stock arms sat darn near level with the ground pre lift. The two blue dashed lines are 4" apart. I rotated one end until the opposite end was 4" lower. The upper diagram uses an 18.6" length because this is the difference between the stock arms. The lower uses 19.4375" because this is the difference between the MC arm suggested lengths. You will note that the lift causes the axle to move forward 0.4356" with the stock arms and pushes the axle BACK 0.4213" with the MC arms when referenced against the stock location.

Attachment 541025

Now, this is all theoretical. In reality I measured my axle to be roughly 5/8" (0.625") farther back post lift with the MC "starter" lengths. All this said, I absolutely agree with you that this is nothing more than a starting length and one should adjust as they see fit for their build from there. I am just sharing where my numbers came from
That's what people need to understand "starting points"
Weight/actual height, pinion/caster angles, variances in the stock mounting positions, etc. No two jeeps will be the same. Start with the numbers provided and adjust from there.
The 1" stretch with some manufactures is to clear bigger tires. In some cases causes more issues then what it's worth IMO.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Does anybody have any measurements with the 3.5 (ARB) and 37's (Nitto TG) at the top of a hard top? I'm pretty sure it will fit in the garage after the lift is installed, but considering I'm lifting it IN the garage, I want to be sure I can get out without having to put the stockers on.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n3tfury
Does anybody have any measurements with the 3.5 (ARB) and 37's (Nitto TG) at the top of a hard top? I'm pretty sure it will fit in the garage after the lift is installed, but considering I'm lifting it IN the garage, I want to be sure I can get out without having to put the stockers on.
LOL...ya, that would suck! It's a good thing you mentioned that because I am planning on lifting mine next month. Saved me from doing something really stupid!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by n3tfury
Originally Posted by snags922
LOL...ya, that would suck! It's a good thing you mentioned that because I am planning on lifting mine next month. Saved me from doing something really stupid!
I have 37" Goodyear MTR/Ks on 17x9s. I am a fat gnat's ass under 78" to the top of the hard top in the rear. I have a pretty light build as well.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread