Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DGriz
I've got my 3.5" springs on the way. Since I have the Bilstein 5100 shocks, should I consider the MC shock mounts? Looks like they would give me a little more travel. Thoughts?
Impossible to answer, too many variables. You will need to cycle the suspension once they are in. Depends on bump stop and free length of shocks/coils. Ideally, you max out uptravel by adding tire clearance and then moving the shock mount up to almost fully compress the shock. If that is good and the coils don't unseat at full extension, you are good to go.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGriz
I've got my 3.5" springs on the way. Since I have the Bilstein 5100 shocks, should I consider the MC shock mounts? Looks like they would give me a little more travel. Thoughts?
Which 5100's do you have? I feel like we've gone through this before but might be thinking of someone else. I'm running a similar set up with the 5100's for 3.5"-5" lift listed at like 11" travel part number 24-186872 for the front. I'm using stock upper mounts and nemesis brackets on the front, evo rock stars in the rear. I'm about 1/2" from maxing out the front, about 1" from maxing out the rear. 3" front and rear bump stop. This is what works for me. Cycle the suspension, see where you're at and make adjustments to get the most out of what you're running.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154
Which 5100's do you have? I feel like we've gone through this before but might be thinking of someone else. I'm running a similar set up with the 5100's for 3.5"-5" lift listed at like 11" travel part number 24-186872 for the front. I'm using stock upper mounts and nemesis brackets on the front, evo rock stars in the rear. I'm about 1/2" from maxing out the front, about 1" from maxing out the rear. 3" front and rear bump stop. This is what works for me. Cycle the suspension, see where you're at and make adjustments to get the most out of what you're running.
I've got the 1.5" to 3" lift range shocks. What's the travel on these, about 9.5"? Eventually, I'll change these out, but there's other things on the wishlist ahead of that. I'm just wanting to maximize with what I have currently with plans of making improvements as the budget allows. If a $100 of shock brackets will get me by for a couple years, then I'll pull the trigger now and start saving up for my 6paks for sometime in the future.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Just a durability update.
I have had my arms for about 2 yrs and 4 months. I have never touched them since I put them on. I have wheeled all across the U.S. Hawk pride in Alabama, some places in Mississippi and Tennessee, Superlift in Arkansas, SMORR in Missouri, Nevada, and lots of places in Utah.
Decided to finally clean and grease them.
Bushings still looked great.
Before tear down.
Next to a new bushing.
You can see they rotate in the ends.
Overall im super happy with the durability of them.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

The durability is good to hear.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
Just a durability update.
Good to hear, thank you
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by snags922
I just installed the GC 2.5" ARB Edition lift on my 2012 JKUR. I am looking at installing the Rock Hard 4x4 Parts JK Oil Pan, Transmission and Dual Catalytic Converter Skid Plate. Does anyone else have this configuration? If so, are there any problems with clearance on the stock driveshaft?

Rockhard claims that "Our tests have shown stock drivelines to clear this skid at 40" of flex". That is probably with the stock suspension also. So it got me wondering about installing with the lift.
im not sure how they are measuring "flex" if there talking 40" extended shock length that more than 99% of people will run. They could also be talking how high they can lift a tire, but tire size would also effect this.

Personally my stock skids help up fine, i just added an oil pan skid. You could also move or skid your evap.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Been running my 3.5 GC arb edition for about 2 weeks now. Absolutely love it!
Still doing a little tuning - might dial in a little more caster. I just trimmed my fenders today - running 2" bump stops front/rear and it seems about perfect with my 37’s.

One thing I don't like, which has nothing to do with mc, is how the shocks get pinned up against the frame when one side is stuffed and the other is drooped. Looks like it puts a lot of side load and bends the shaft a little. Are there any mount relocations that move the axle mount outwards a little? Or am I fussing over nothing?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sea bass
Been running my 3.5 GC arb edition for about 2 weeks now. Absolutely love it!
Still doing a little tuning - might dial in a little more caster. I just trimmed my fenders today - running 2" bump stops front/rear and it seems about perfect with my 37’s.

One thing I don't like, which has nothing to do with mc, is how the shocks get pinned up against the frame when one side is stuffed and the other is drooped. Looks like it puts a lot of side load and bends the shaft a little. Are there any mount relocations that move the axle mount outwards a little? Or am I fussing over nothing?
i would definately address that. I know nemesis makes them, not sure who else...
Old 07-13-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Metal cloak make some uppers that push it away from the frame a bit. They make them for the 6 pack shocks but should work with any shock.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread