Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

mild lift question

Old 11-28-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mild lift question

Since my JKU is my daily driver.
I want the aggressive look.
Leveling kit or 2.5 lift?
I am not replacing tires or wheels yet since the tires have a lot of life left.
Also, thoughts on wheel spacers, I hear a lot of positives and negatives.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Djpedro78
Since my JKU is my daily driver.
I want the aggressive look.
Leveling kit or 2.5 lift?
I am not replacing tires or wheels yet since the tires have a lot of life left.
Also, thoughts on wheel spacers, I hear a lot of positives and negatives.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Wheel spacer it up and do a 2.5 coil lift over spacer if your going to...thats my 2 cents. Also give dirtmants "my thoughts on lifts" thread, plenty of good info there.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

How much wheeling are you trying to do with this initial setup?

IMO, with the stock tires, the most I'd do is install the Teraflex Leveling Kit, and be done... for now.

Once you're ready to throw on 35"+ tires and to do more intense wheeling, choose a quality 2.5" kit for a nice low center-of-gravity build.

I personally think that stock tires look kinda ridiculous with a 2.5" lift, or larger; and, you don't really need any added flex or clearance to go off-road with stock tires.

Why are you thinking about wheel spacers if you aren't changing tires? Just for looks? If so, then skip them. IMO, wheel spacers should only be used when they're absolutely necessary to prevent rubbing caused by backspacing issues (ie. Mounting large tires on stock rims)

Last edited by palehorse; 11-28-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

I won't be rock crawling or doing anything too extreme just some trail riding. And yes the spacers to widen the stance a little (looks). I have 18" stock wheels. I have seen in person and in pictures the look I want but of course most of them don't list mod specs and I can't follow people around just to ask them what they have done.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by palehorse

IMO, with the stock tires, the most I'd do is install the Teraflex Leveling Kit, and be done... for now.

Once you're ready to throw on 35"+ tires and to do more intense wheeling, choose a quality 2.5" kit for a nice low center-of-gravity build.

I personally think that stock tires look kinda ridiculous with a 2.5" lift, or larger; and, you don't really need any added flex or clearance to go off-road with stock tires.

Why are you thinking about wheel spacers if you aren't changing tires? Just for looks? If so, then skip them. IMO, wheel spacers should only be used when they're absolutely necessary to prevent rubbing caused by backspacing issues (ie. Mounting large tires on stock rims)
The JKUwith the winch has a 2.5" Teraflex lift. The 2dr is running 18/59 JKU springs, giving it a 2" lift. Both are on factory BFG KMs. I think they "look" just fine, there is proportionality to the tire/well combo, they fit inside and will "fold under" deeply. They certainly function just fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojave Rd W Nov_030 JKF.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	513303Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojave Rd W Nov_083  JKF.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	513304

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-28-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by palehorse

imo its not a true lcog build unless your cutting the body/frame or other items up...just slapping on a kit doesnt make it a lcog build...
Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

I'm digging this look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131128_155022.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	513307
Old 11-28-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts