Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mopar jk 392 Hemi crate engine install

Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mopar jk 392 Hemi crate engine install

So, mopar performance has a 392 Hemi crate engine listed on the jk section of its website, along with a tremec magnum transmission, a wiring harness, front end accessory kit, ac expansion kit, oil filter, headers, etc. see here, scroll down https://moparonlineparts.com/mobile/...28_57_350.html

unfortunately, I can’t find any information anywhere about compatability or install. Is the wiring harness plug and play? Is it set up to fit jk motor mounts? Does it fit the stock 6 speed manual? (Yes, I know it exceeds the torque rating). Does it bolt directly to the magnum transmission? Is the magnum transmission compatable with the stock transfer case? Do I need anything other than the wiring harness and front end accessory kit?

ive searched the forums and found zero. All the vendors sell their own $5-10k swap kits, and quote around $30k to do the swap, but the main part of their kits seem to be a wiring harness (mopar’s is about $1,700) and bolt on engine mounts. I priced the engine, transmission and accessories out to about $15,500, and my local mechanic estimates about 20 hours for the swap (or $2,000). What am I missing? Why is this a $30k install?

ok, i know I’m probably missing motor mounts, possibly driveshafts, maybe exhaust and ecu flash, but I’m still under $20k.

anyone done this or know the answers to any of my questions? I could see (maybe) sinking $17-20k into a 6.4 Hemi swap, but $30k is just too much for even my liberal sense of “man math” when it comes to cars. Even if I had it, I wouldn’t feel right about spending that much.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 PM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20 hours for the swap? highly doubt it...

I don't think i'd put a 6.4 in with stock axles...

"Possibly driveshafts"??? definitely. That can be as much as $1500
"maybe exhaust"??? definitely.
"ecu flash"???

I think you're way under estimating this.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there a reason why you want/ need the hemi in the jeep? Other then having it? Personally and with talking to people that have done hemi, LS, a supercharger, and a turbo on the JKs. I am wanting to do the Prodigy kit. Get roughly the same HP as a smaller LS or Hemi, a fraction of the cost (even though its a crazy amount for a turbo kit). And this is me with a 6.2 LS sitting in my garage right now. I was slowly getting stuff to do the swap but have had my mind changed when i started talking to more locals about their builds. That is my 2 cents, A V8 is not needed in a JK, even for "extreme" trails.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Interested in selling it?

guess I’m going to answer a few questions at once . . .

I’m already probably over 6,000 pounds with Dana ultimate 60s, 5.38s, lockers, 40# tires. I’ve looked at the super chargers and turbos. The idea of plunging hot turbos and turbo pipes into water or mud off-road just sounds like a bad idea. (Ordinarily im a big turbo fan). Supercharger is a decent bump in power, but not a bump in strength. The 3.6 is still a light duty, moderate power/torque unit. I wonder whether it will stand up to big power, but more importantly, big weight.

in either case, I’ve researched the hell out of turbo/superchargers, and I haven’t found a lack of info. What I’m looking for here is information specifically about the 392 crate engine mopar performance is selling on its jeep jk page.

i will note that the jk Dana ultimate 60s really are pretty much bolt in, as advertised, so I was hoping mopar made the Hemi and wiring harness jk specific (because it’s on the jk page).
Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Possibly, all depends on what my father says about his Wide Open Design chassis he has sitting in his back yard And youre build does change the tune a little. Ya so when you click the link and go to the wiring harness it switches you over to the Grand Cherokee? Wonder what is up with that. I have no experience with any of that so i can only help so much. But another good place to get engines and everything is here
https://www.clevelandpap.com/product...gine-packages/
Old 05-19-2019, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JSS (Jeep Speed Shop) sells kits for engine swaps if that helps any
Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Unfortunately I can’t find information on this mopar performance kit, or information on what manual transmissions are compatible with the jk transfer case.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

You might have to change your transfer case. I am sure the 30K includes an atlas. After all, why swap the engine if your not going to put in a transfer case that can handle the abuse?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

I went back and looked at the website listed above. Once you add in all the extra parts that Mopar requires you to purchase with the engine and add a 10% mark up, your at 20K. So I am not sure why the 30K price tag. Perhaps it takes 40+ hours to swap the motor. And again, new atlas, drive shaft and other incidentals, now your getting close the to 30K mark.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

From my research, Dodge 2500 pickups used to use the NV231, which I believe was the TJ generation jeep transfer case. I believe the jk is an NV241, but I’ve seen conflicting info and I sometimes get all the numbers confused in my head (too much google time will do that). In any case, I think the stock transfer case might be up to the job, if barely. (An atlas would be way cooler, but I’m trying to keep the budget down).

I emailed Atlas. Their transfer case does not fit the Tremec Magnum/T6060 transmission. They can fit the Getrag G238 4wd. Of course, I don’t know if that is compatible with the 6.4 Hemi crate engine.

by the way, the 6.4 Hemi is available from other sources in the $7500 range, so subtract about $1,000 from the mopar price.

if you go the G238 path, they seem to be available used at a discount, but again, not sure about compatibility with the 6.4 Hemi.

Quick Reply: Mopar jk 392 Hemi crate engine install