Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mopar jk 392 Hemi crate engine install

Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

For a DIY Hemi swap build. I would check out this discussion created by Da20Captain.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...dsheet-332076/

DIY engine swap information threads seem to be few and far between in getting a good understanding of what is all needed. Da20Captain is the only one I am aware of who created a spread sheet parts list of necessary items and shared it. Every other engine swaps have been done by folks who seem to have deeper pockets than myself and brought their rig into a shop that specializes on selling their services and when you start asking them for further details of what all was needed, the typical response has been, "Unsure, I let Motech, RPM Extreme, etc figure all that out for me I just had to write the check for $30K."

Here's the copy of the actual spreadsheet which Da20Captain shared with me. Part of my longer goal projects is that I'ld like to create a similar spreadsheet for doing an LS DIY swap project. When Da20Captain did his build, LS swaps weren't really an option but when I started looking at them later, I've been leaning towards the idea of an LS swap over a Hemi swap since you can get aluminum block LS engines, the price of the engine/trans are much more widely available and thus more cost friendly than the Hemi/trans options. However, that's as far as I have gotten and need to identify all the additional items and costs outside of the LS engine/trans but this spread sheet should help out tons in identifying all the needed items to complete a Hemi swap where I would expect it to be a very similar list of items when attempting to tackle an LS engine swap.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...FNNLUF5MjhBN00

Here's another well intended thread which started doing a write-up for a DIY LS swap but things kind of got lost along the way.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...8/#post4304283

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-20-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. I will check this out.

I’m not set on Hemi, I just haven’t seen many or any LS swaps with a manual. I also need to stay same model year or newer and have all the OBD II electronics working together to pass emissions. So when I saw a mopar website selling an engine, transmission, and wiring harness all under the JK heading, I got excited.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Punisher40
Thank you. I will check this out.

I’m not set on Hemi, I just haven’t seen many or any LS swaps with a manual. I also need to stay same model year or newer and have all the OBD II electronics working together to pass emissions. So when I saw a mopar website selling an engine, transmission, and wiring harness all under the JK heading, I got excited.
Thanks for sharing, I need to look at that Mopar kit you posted but at least if anything, if the Mopar kit has a parts list, you can likely start comparing it to the list Da20Captain put together and start identifying any additional items that may be needed.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
For a DIY Hemi swap build. I would check out this discussion created by Da20Captain.
Love this thread, just wish it also layed out the differences for a 2012 and up.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Just checked out the Mopar page. It looks like a list of the basic starting essentials for a Hemi swap: Engine, Harness, Conversion communication module, Trans. Motech and RPM Extreme have a similar list of kit part offerings for LS swaps. Then there's all those other items like radiator, drive shafts, T-Case/Adapter, gas lines, power steering, exhaust and exhaust headers and all the supporting parts that connect to those items that you seem to have to figure out on your own but anyone familiar with working on their own vehicles knows a vehicle isn't going to work very well without a radiator, fuel lines and all the drive train connected up properly.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So, mopar performance has a 392 Hemi crate engine listed on the jk section of its website, along with a tremec magnum transmission, a wiring harness, front end accessory kit, ac expansion kit, oil filter, headers, etc. see here, scroll down https://moparonlineparts.com/mobile/...28_57_350.html

unfortunately, I can’t find any information anywhere about compatability or install. Is the wiring harness plug and play? Is it set up to fit jk motor mounts? Does it fit the stock 6 speed manual? (Yes, I know it exceeds the torque rating). Does it bolt directly to the magnum transmission? Is the magnum transmission compatable with the stock transfer case? Do I need anything other than the wiring harness and front end accessory kit?

ive searched the forums and found zero. All the vendors sell their own $5-10k swap kits, and quote around $30k to do the swap, but the main part of their kits seem to be a wiring harness (mopar’s is about $1,700) and bolt on engine mounts. I priced the engine, transmission and accessories out to about $15,500, and my local mechanic estimates about 20 hours for the swap (or $2,000). What am I missing? Why is this a $30k install?

ok, i know I’m probably missing motor mounts, possibly driveshafts, maybe exhaust and ecu flash, but I’m still under $20k.

anyone done this or know the answers to any of my questions? I could see (maybe) sinking $17-20k into a 6.4 Hemi swap, but $30k is just too much for even my liberal sense of “man math” when it comes to cars. Even if I had it, I wouldn’t feel right about spending that much.
That crate engine is the one I used. I also used the same alternator, oil filter adapter, and rear sump oil pan. The wiring harness will not work for this application, neither will the dipstick tube and tremec tranny (its RWD anyways).
Those kits are mainly for drivers of classic cars or hot rod builders who want a one stop shop for upgrading to a fuel injected hemi. With a modern jeep, so many systems need to talk to each other via the TIPM, that you would be in a world of hurt to use that solution.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
Love this thread, just wish it also layed out the differences for a 2012 and up.
I cant give you all the differences, but a couple of big ones:
The 2012+ JKs have a better radiator fan, so you wont need to upgrade that.
They also have the correct cross member, so you dont need to change that.
Frame engine mount locations are the same.
Firewall on the 2012+ doesnt need to be clearanced, its already slightly back to fit the 3.6l.
Wiring harness and computer will be different from what I have, but Hotwire sells those as well.
Exhaust mounting points on the exhaust system I bought from Dakota customs are made for the 2012+. I had to add some custom hangers.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...dsheet-332076/

DIY engine swap information threads seem to be few and far between in getting a good understanding of what is all needed. Da20Captain is the only one I am aware of who created a spread sheet parts list of necessary items and shared it. Every other engine swaps have been done by folks who seem to have deeper pockets than myself and brought their rig into a shop that specializes on selling their services and when you start asking them for further details of what all was needed, the typical response has been, "Unsure, I let Motech, RPM Extreme, etc figure all that out for me I just had to write the check for $30K."

Here's the copy of the actual spreadsheet which Da20Captain shared with me. Part of my longer goal projects is that I'ld like to create a similar spreadsheet for doing an LS DIY swap project. When Da20Captain did his build, LS swaps weren't really an option but when I started looking at them later, I've been leaning towards the idea of an LS swap over a Hemi swap since you can get aluminum block LS engines, the price of the engine/trans are much more widely available and thus more cost friendly than the Hemi/trans options. However, that's as far as I have gotten and need to identify all the additional items and costs outside of the LS engine/trans but this spread sheet should help out tons in identifying all the needed items to complete a Hemi swap where I would expect it to be a very similar list of items when attempting to tackle an LS engine swap.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...FNNLUF5MjhBN00

Here's another well intended thread which started doing a write-up for a DIY LS swap but things kind of got lost along the way.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...8/#post4304283
If you look at my attachments in my recent post: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-g...08-jku-351074/
I included a detailed parts list.

Last edited by Saharacon; 07-25-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

From my research, Dodge 2500 pickups used to use the NV231, which I believe was the TJ generation jeep transfer case. I believe the jk is an NV241, but I’ve seen conflicting info and I sometimes get all the numbers confused in my head (too much google time will do that). In any case, I think the stock transfer case might be up to the job, if barely. (An atlas would be way cooler, but I’m trying to keep the budget down).

I emailed Atlas. Their transfer case does not fit the Tremec Magnum/T6060 transmission. They can fit the Getrag G238 4wd. Of course, I don’t know if that is compatible with the 6.4 Hemi crate engine.

by the way, the 6.4 Hemi is available from other sources in the $7500 range, so subtract about $1,000 from the mopar price.

if you go the G238 path, they seem to be available used at a discount, but again, not sure about compatibility with the 6.4 Hemi.
The getrag 238 is absolutely compatible with the 6.4hemi. It drives like a race car (I know, I know.. its a jeep.. but its an amazing transmission).
As an aside, Mopar put a getrag 238 on the Hellcat Wrangler they did a few years ago and it works great.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

The more horsepower, the more things you can break. JMHO!

Quick Reply: Mopar jk 392 Hemi crate engine install