Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most "Plush" 2.5" lift for highway driving?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my MC 3.5" much better ride than the 2.5" teraflex I was running. Personally this subject is very subjective. Feel is hard to measure. I know my metal cloak give less body roll and have a longer uncompressed length. I feel like it's slightly smoother. However, that could be a variety of factors like my draglink flip, new fox shocks, and control arm lengths. I'd say any quality spring will give you a good ride if the rest if the suspension is correct.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running the Rock Krawler 2.5 with the new triple rate springs, AEV Geo brackets, and the bilstein 5100's and am very happy with the set up so far. I had a 2" spacer kit and shock extensions on before this and now the ride is much better. Depending on what size tires you run it will be hard to keep exactly stock ride. I used to have a 2010 with the rustys 3.25 kit on it and my setup now rides 100X better.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
Im running the Rock Krawler 2.5 with the new triple rate springs, AEV Geo brackets, and the bilstein 5100's and am very happy with the set up so far. I had a 2" spacer kit and shock extensions on before this and now the ride is much better. Depending on what size tires you run it will be hard to keep exactly stock ride. I used to have a 2010 with the rustys 3.25 kit on it and my setup now rides 100X better.
How do you like your setup now? That's the route I'm looking to go.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have read over and over that death wobble is not really the fault of a properly installed lift kit but more so the wearing on other components. Having said that, would I not be better off getting a complete "setup" with arms, brackets, track bars, ect. instead of a budget boost in terms of wearing on other components? If I cover all these bases to begin with won't I be better off? It may be a complete waste of money when all I want is the aesthetics of the lift but I don't want to replace drivelines, ball joints, or anything like that down the road. I really don't want to go any higher than 2.5" due to job and warranty.

Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Over sized tires are what put wear on components not the incompletness of a lift. Ball joints, steering boxes, and unit bearings have nothing to do with lifts but wear out due to stress caused by over sized tires and can cause death wobble.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

If I were to go with a budget or leveling kit is there any other hardware you would recommend to add in the beginning? Better ball joints, track bars, brackets, geo corrections, shocks?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kiawahgolf
If I were to go with a budget or leveling kit is there any other hardware you would recommend to add in the beginning? Better ball joints, track bars, brackets, geo corrections, shocks? Thanks!
Shocks would be a nice addition. Teraflex makes a budget boost kit that comes with their shocks. Rubi shocks with extensions are also nice if you have a JK sport.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Shocks would be a nice addition. Teraflex makes a budget boost kit that comes with their shocks. Rubi shocks with extensions are also nice if you have a JK sport.
If looking for plush I wouldn't go teraflex shocks. I've ran them and they are rough from my experience. I'd at least go bilstein which is a nice ride but little stiff still. Hear the rancho 9000s are really nice. Adjustable do you can set then to your liking
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TaylarsJK
How do you like your setup now? That's the route I'm looking to go.
Im very happy with my set up now, it turned out exactly how I wanted. I would say the ride is as close to a stock ride you can get with 35's, and the stance is also what I was looking for. I have bumpers and winch and a full size spare and the RK coils seem to handle that very well and all their components seem very good quality.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

No matter what lift you go with, from the beginning you'll want to add a grade 8 bolt hardware kit. Replaces the small trackbar bolts (front and rear) with the proper size as well as the proper size for your control arms! This will prolong the life of your bushings and it'll prevent your trackbar bracket from wallowing out (a prime cause of death wobble from what I've read).

It's only about $40-$50 from Northridge and it's cheap insurance!!

Quick Reply: Most "Plush" 2.5" lift for highway driving?