Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MPAC VS smittybilt tailgate gear.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen the smittybilts, they are cheap for a reason.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

i have the smittybilt one on my jeep. i can tell you this: the bags weave through the molle loops and button down to the bags. they are secured well. now on the other hand, the molle system that attaches to the tailgate isnt the best: when i first installed it (it screws to the tailgate btw) it fit flat and tight, over time, it has began to droop inbetween the screw mounting points. still good for my purposes, when it wears out, i will not be purchasing another one.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MPAC
[/QUOTE]

I have the MPAC and like it alot. MPAC doesn't show it in their picture, but that vent on the right is also a perfect place to put a Molle pac as well.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question Can the TJ M-PAC rack mount in a JK?

All,

After reviewing the springtails website, it would appear the TJ rack is bigger than the one built for the JK.

Assuming someone is willing to live with covering the subwoofer or any other vents, etc...

Can the TJ rack bolt onto a JK to provide more sq inches of coverage?

Thoughts?

Jeeperaf
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

I would think you would be just fine adding on the TJ rack to get something a little bigger since it is only about 2" bigger in each drection, but I can measure when I get home to see how much extra room there is on the door before you start getting into the sheet metal bends.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Side saddle is interesting. It might be a bit cleaner than me zip tying everywhere.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by thei3ug
Side saddle is interesting. It might be a bit cleaner than me zip tying everywhere.
I saw the prototype and I know that I am excited to get one. It should be a good place for my i-Pod, cell phone, wallet, etc... Also my wife likes to carry a gallon sized cup while offroad, and this may be quick fisted to the rack.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Smittybilt works fine

I have the smittybilt, have for about 6 months. I have two bags (that came with it) on it and they are full of tools straps for my kayaks, first aid and other junk. I also store my flash light on it as well, no sagging no problems.

I like the springtail solution alot, but the cost was a little high for me for what I am using it for.

I will however be in line for the springtail straddle for manual transmissions- I hope it comes out a s nicely as the one for the auto did.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ericzins
I have the smittybilt, have for about 6 months. I have two bags (that came with it) on it and they are full of tools straps for my kayaks, first aid and other junk. I also store my flash light on it as well, no sagging no problems.

I like the springtail solution alot, but the cost was a little high for me for what I am using it for.

I will however be in line for the springtail straddle for manual transmissions- I hope it comes out a s nicely as the one for the auto did.
X2, I have 40 to 50 pounds of crap in the pouches and strapped on with no sagging issues. The Smittybilt unit was 1/3 the price, took 10 minutes to install and works great
Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Go with MPAC from Springtail. I think the Smittybilt just velcros on, and can't take much weight.
the smitty bilt doesn't velcro on. it takes 10 screws to your tail gate and it can handle some weight. i have no sagging issues what so ever.

Quick Reply: MPAC VS smittybilt tailgate gear.