Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MPRB Exhaust some issues and overall writeup

Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a little disappointed with the saw cut raw end of the MRBP hangers I was expecting a bump or something more along the lines of the stock hanger. However that little disappointment does not prevent me from saying the MRBP cat back exhaust was money well spent and a great install
Yeah, wish it had bumps on it to keep it on the hangers a little more.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tomharley
Today I installed the Offroad SS reloc version MBRP.Nice product, easy installation ,it tooks only 1 hour! No contact to frame or a rattling sound. But exhaust sound is very noisy and not good for my ears. I'll have to remove or replace the mufler for ex. Flowmaster 50.
Everything is perfect, except sound
you must be very sound sensitive.... because... this is the mildest aftermarket exhaust i have ever installed, maybe you should have stuck with stock, if you think a flowmaster is going to sound less agressive your poorly mistaken... be prepared for hiway droning and popping or after burble at WOT....
Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
Installed a MBRP #S5502409 stock location cat back exhaust last weekend. Sprayed the stock hangers and clamp nuts with WD-40 the night before the install. Used a large pair of channel lock pliers in lieu of hanger pliers and was able to pop the stock hangers out of the mounts without much effort. Box end wrench and a little patience loosened the 1st clamp at the cats. Piece of cake from there on. 40 minutes to pull the stock off and 40 minutes more to install the new exhaust. My son and I did take care to maximize clearance of the axle crossover pipe from surrounding cables and such. Alignment of the pipes was done with this clearance established first.

The stock clamps were spot welded to the stock pipes. The stock pipes were not spot welded together.

Great sound, just what my son and I were looking for. Some of the other sound clips we listened to sounded great with our eyes closed but with eyes open the sound appeared to be promising more than the Jeep's engine will ever be able to deliver. MBRP struck a great balance for us.

Benefits other than the sound? Butt dyno says maybe a little more omph but that could be just due to the sound playing mind tricks. Concrete benefits? It looks like the K&N drop air box filter and the MBRP exhaust may be combining to give a 0.3 to 0.4 mpg increase to partially compensate for the mpg penalty incurred by using the A/C.

I was a little disappointed with the saw cut raw end of the MRBP hangers I was expecting a bump or something more along the lines of the stock hanger. However that little disappointment does not prevent me from saying the MRBP cat back exhaust was money well spent and a great install
if you drove it HARD right before, you would notice a very nice pull from 2nd to 3rd that wasnt there before... that was a BIG issue with me and the jeep(probably auto tranny) maybe if you have the stick you dont notice. if i drive moderatly im noticing around a 3-4 mpg increase with both the k&n and exhaust... the K&N definatly increased the power you could feel it pulling stronger (i installed the filter first and about 3k later the exhaust.)
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GNNR
Yeah, wish it had bumps on it to keep it on the hangers a little more.
i definatly second that, my buddy with a welder is going to help me fashion some "bumps" but im feeling alittle lazy after the deployment i dont wanna disassemble it to weld the bumps on...
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc_D
Was this the stock location exhaust or the off road exhaust?

I ordered a stock location exhaust and it should arrive tomorrow. I'm out of town this weekend so I won't be able to install it until next week. But I'm going to be none too happy if there are fitment issues.

I've installed cat-backs on nearly all my vehicles (SLP, Borla, Magnaflow, Apexi, and Invidia). I've never had a single fitment issue before.
I got to install my stock location MBRP system today. The install went fine. I did trim about 1/4" off the extention pipe hanger as a precaution so it wouldn't touch the frame. I don't think it would have but I didn't want to have to pull it apart to trim it so I did it preemptively.

The sound is perfect. It's got a little rumble at idle. At cruise it's just a hair louder stock. There is no drone. It's got a nice sound under acceleration. It does seem to have a little more power and it revs more freely. I usually shift at 2,500 RPM under normal acceleration but with the exhaust it seems to spin much easier up to 3,000.

I'm a little concerned my extented track-bar mount might interfere with the over the axle pipe when the back left it fully stuffed. I'm going to have to flex it and see.

The clearance is similar to the stock muffler if hot just slightly better.

All in all I'm very happy with the system. If I were to do it again though I'd seriously consider relocating my evap canister and doing the off road version to get some extra clearance and not have to worry about my track bar getting into the over axle tube.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 PM
JK Freak

Keep them coming, i am thinking hard about this
Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gijeep
you must be very sound sensitive.... because... this is the mildest aftermarket exhaust i have ever installed, maybe you should have stuck with stock, if you think a flowmaster is going to sound less agressive your poorly mistaken... be prepared for hiway droning and popping or after burble at WOT....
Maybe!

I have a good experience with Flowmaster. In the XJ I had 40series,no cat ,Banks headers and sound was wonderful (like a V8)
Then in the ZJ 5,9 ,Flowmaster 50SUV,Hi flow cat,Thorley headers and 3"tail pipe. Louder than MPRB but sound was adequate to displacement and power.

Last edited by tomharley; 05-24-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

I have a 17 mile city commute to work. I drive early into work early in the the morning and drive home early in the afternoon. So I'd call the traffic light to moderate. My average gas mileage was 17.0 MPG prior to the exhaust (running on the flashpaq 93 octane tune).

On this morning's commute (after installing the exhaust last night) I got 19.7 MPG. 17 miles certainly isn't enough to make the call, but that's the highest I ever remeber getting since putting on the lift and tires. It'll be interesting to see over the next few tanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I have a 17 mile city commute to work. I drive early into work early in the the morning and drive home early in the afternoon. So I'd call the traffic light to moderate. My average gas mileage was 17.0 MPG prior to the exhaust (running on the flashpaq 93 octane tune).

On this morning's commute (after installing the exhaust last night) I got 19.7 MPG. 17 miles certainly isn't enough to make the call, but that's the highest I ever remeber getting since putting on the lift and tires. It'll be interesting to see over the next few tanks.
yeah 17 is average if my foot isnt in it... but my foot is always in it so i average like 15, maybe less. ill grow up one of these days

I have seen 19 on the highway towing my boat though, so im pretty impressed with that
Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gijeep
yeah 17 is average if my foot isnt in it... but my foot is always in it so i average like 15, maybe less. ill grow up one of these days

I have seen 19 on the highway towing my boat though, so im pretty impressed with that
Lol, wow. I get a lousy 13.7 MPG

Quick Reply: MPRB Exhaust some issues and overall writeup