Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on lifts

Old 12-29-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

any brand that fits your needs and budget.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will hear good and bad things about every brand out there usually. Buy what you are comfortable with for your budget, and remember you can always upgrade later if you don't like it.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
any brand that fits your needs and budget.
Damn you dirtman. Now you have me rethinking my whole lift. Just got my synergy 3" springs in with draglink flip, have RK lower front and rear control arms and currie upper front. Have the fox 2.0 shocks recommended by synergy for their 3" springs. However I have some king 2.5 resi shocks for front I just put on. I'm running 35s with no interest of running 37s on the D30 unfortunately.

Now I'm thinking if going with the RK 2.5" triple rate springs, keeping the lower control arms, keeping the fox shocks, and ditching the rest.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Sorry.
I would not see the need for the drag link flip at 3" unless you are experiencing a lot of bump steer. Not sure how your suspension is going to shake down but I would not worry much about .5" difference in coils.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My man, you must be a Brother from another Mother...

Owned Jeeps from 1986 to 2007 and came back to Jeeps after a 6 year absence, where I ventured onto the Land rover Discovery world and then Volvo XC90.

With this said, I made the same mistakes everybody here makes and modified my first YJ to look like the Currie Brothers YJ at the time. It was all about looks. The fact that to turn their 35 inch tires under 4 inch lift, they had a big V8s (FI 360 I think) on 4.56 Gears was completely overlooked !!!! My little YJ had a 2.5L 4 cyl. with 4.10 gears !!!! I endured a much less capable than stock Jeep for 4 years before accepting that I had screwed up and traded it in for an XJ that I modified to the max also. At least I had the venerable L6 to propel the set-up ( 5 inch lift and 32s)

What I'm getting at is that the majority of those who over-modify their Jeeps, do it solely for looks with no regards to fonction and driveability. They fell in love with a Jeep in a magasine or in a parking lot and just want their Jeeps to look like that, no matter what it takes or how it affect the driveability of their often DD.

These guys will realise their mistakes but will absolutely never admit to them until they get rid of the Jeep and move onto something else, often flaming anyone who dares to tell them straight-up that they screwed up. They will even tell everybody else about how much better their Jeep now runs compared to stock, in an exercise to convince themselves and have others make the same mistakes, so they are not alone in their misery. Often these guys will sell their Jeeps by explaining that they couldn't cope with the mpg anymore and move on to something else that uses 3-4-5 mpg less which is exactly what their Jeeps were getting when stock !!!!

They will come back to Jeeps later-on in life, wiser and build a much smarter and adapted for their use Jeep, knowing darn well that over-doing a Jeep creates way more disapointment than satisfaction. Unless like me, they own 4-5 Jeeps in a row and build them up in a smarter way one after the other.

So it is nice to see that some wiser people are overlooking things before happy owners start slowly building their Jeeps towards the point of no return and live a not so nice jeep experience.

Pretty new on this site, but I too am trying to spread the word of wisedom. But lets face it, most people that ask, know exactly what they wanna hear, will absolutely disregard the advice of the wise ones and focus on that one guy's advice who's in the denial phase and says the majic words of feasability.

So to those with perfectly nice close to stock Jeeps..... Be aware that a lot of times when you drool over that souped-up Jeep with giant lift and monster tires you just crossed in the street, most likely when he waved, he was thinking about when his Jeep was like yours and how he enjoyed driving it back then compared to now. I know, I was once that guy !!!

Happy new-year,

Da10A

Last edited by Da10A; 01-01-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Two options man, buy coilovers one at time lol then I won't have ever buy another lift. Buy synergy or metal cloak, or rock Krawler lift.

07 JKU Rubicon 3" lift 1" BL. 37"s. Nicely Built.
It's not a hobby it's a Part of who I am.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

"Throw those same 35's on a stock suspension with trimmed fenders and everything I said would still be true"

Thanks, Dirtman and Planman, for a tremendous primer on what NOT to do. You nailed it with the idea that many of us newer Jeepers think that lift + extraneous shiny metal objects are required to have a "real" Jeep, when in fact many of us would never use the capabilities. I, for one, did not even know what half of the components were in systems that I was considering. Excellent stuff, and a must-read.

I was the poster boy for potential Jeep excess. I bought the Jeep and started looking at all the things I could add to it. Money was not the issue; real Jeep guys had this stuff on their rigs. My Jeep will be kept in Belize, where there is no rock crawling; its all light trails, beach, flooded roads and swollen streams. The roads are...well...interesting. Lots of potholes. But this '14 2-door is my kick-around-in vehicle. Bumpers, tire carrier and low-weight rails, yes, but no winch. Just a fun way to get from Point A to Point B with half doors and no top. I don't need what I was going to add to my JK, and would not have known how to fix any problems that would arise anyway.

Thanks for helping me take a whole lot of goodies that I don't need off my Excel spreadsheet! There goes the 2.5 X-Factor and all the other pretty stuff that would have kept it company! I want 35's, but will do it with shaved fenders, 2.5 RK triple rate coils and some Rancho 9000.

This is one of the most informative threads I have read on any of the Jeep forums, and I thank you for the free education.

Last edited by NastyPirate; 01-02-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the information posted. I was right, this forum is really helpful..
Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da10A
lets face it, most people that ask, know exactly what they wanna hear

Where's the "like" button?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

awesome!!!!

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts