Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need opinions on situation! Please help

Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on situation! Please help

I have a 2008 JK 2D X with a Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift on with 33" Silent Armour Tires. So today I was going over somethings things about my jeep to make sure everything was running fine. I go on Rough Country's website and being bored went back to my lift just to check it out. After viewing the page I have learned something new which really ticks me off. When I got the lift, I didn't know too much about it so I wasn't really aware of where the little parts went (I knew the majority of things just not enough I guess). The problem I have involves the spacers that come with the lift kit. The 3.25" lift is actually 2.5" coil suspension and .75" of spacers. The spacers were one of the things I didn't know where to go. After receiving the lift I took out everything making sure all the parts were there, they were in fact all there in perfect condition making me very happy. A couple days after obtaining the lift, my dad scheduled an appointment for the lift to be put on a local mechanic. The lift was put on and a year later I am still happy (until today). I find out that the mechanic didn't put on the spacers and because my dad throws away everything in the house, including my old springs and shocks. So as of right now, I paid for a 3.25" lift ($399.95) but only have the 2.5" lift ($329.95) on. I don't know how to go upon handeling the situation because it has been a year since I've had the lift and also the fact that my dad threw out the parts that I would need to show the mechanic to point out his mistake. Also the fact that they made my dad and I (we split the cost of labor) pay money for labor ticks me off because they didn't do their job but still expected us to pay full price. I am 18 years old and obviously am not going to be taken as seriously by the mechanic because of my age's reputation in life and my dad refuses to help because it's my fault for not pointing it out earlier. Yes I am taking blame for not pointing it out earlier but shouldn't the mechanic still have some fault to this. It was my money thats being wasted and I don't want this to go unnoticed. Can you guys give me advice in what I should do with this, I really am in a pickle and my jeep is the most important possession of mine.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, the mechanic may have done you a favor, because with the bigger lift you would need new driveshafts. Other than that, my advise is you SOL at this point. Should have asked questions about the non-installed parts a year ago.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say lesson learned, and not a very expensive one. The bill for the labor would likely not have been any more had he installed the spacers at the same time, so your really only out the cost of the parts. Since the parts are gone and it's been so long, I'm not sure you have much to go back on.

In the future, do your research and figure out what you are doing to your vehicle and the purpose of each part before installing or having installed. If having someone else do the work, double-check everything immediately. Luckily, the mechanics oversight/failure did not cause a safety issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're better off. Your 33" tires would look silly with a 3.5" lift. And like others said, you'd need a new driveshaft.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

I have to say that I agree with the previous responses. Regardless of age you as the consumer have the responsibility of knowing what it is you are purchasing in respect to both materials and labor. My advice would be to accept this as a lesson learned (a relatively inexpensive and without serious consequences lesson) and take it upon yourself to thoroughly research products prior to purchase and install. If you come to the table informed it is a great deal more difficult for an unscrupulous vendor or mechanic to take advantage of you. Lastly, if ever in doubt - turn to the Forum, there are a ton of extremely helpful members who wouldn't hesitate to answer questions and help you out. Have fun with your Jeep!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Agree

I would have to agree with everyone else. Inexpensive lesson learned
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 19/60 springs on my 2007 2 door and a 3/4 spacer(because my winch and bumper).... I noticed the other day I lightly rub drive shaft boot when disconnected. I only have about a 2inch lift up front... You might have saved a drive shaft from it like someone stated
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Phishy
You're better off. Your 33" tires would look silly with a 3.5" lift. And like others said, you'd need a new driveshaft.
x2

Wouldn't really look right with 3.5" and 33's. Would be better if you wanted to move up to 35's though. As mentioned, would need a new driveshaft.

So -$70 for the spacers, + $300 - $400 + labor because you didn't need the driveshaft!

Not to mention that spacers degrade your ride quality. You're better off without them.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on situation! Please help