Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bumper with hooks for a tow bar?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently running a Tomken Bumper that the will add the towing brackets for the Blue Ox or Falcon alterrain tow bars. I use the Falcon Alterrain, it works great. Will get pictures up later.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

I have a '14 JKUR and like the Rockhard bumper. Thinking about getting the Roadmaster tow bar and Invisibrake. I also like the LoD full width. What do you think guys?

Cheers!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default towing jeep

I have a smittybilt SRC bumper with stong D ring tabs on it. (see my picture of my 12 Rubicon)
I use a Roadmaster Sterling 6000lb tow bar to tow it behind my motorhome
I use a Roadmaster Even Brake to operate the jeep brakes. You need a braking system in the jeep to be legal and safe.
I have Warrior brand D ring adapters bought from amazon bolted onto the ends of the Roadmaster tow arms that then attach with cross pins to the D ring tabs on the smittybilt bumper.

heres a pic and specs of the Warrior Adapters
Click image for larger version

Name:	warrior ring adapters.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	560842Click image for larger version

Name:	warrior ring adapters.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	560842Click image for larger version

Name:	warrior ring adapters 2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	560858

Warrior Products 867 Tow Bar D-Ring Adapter - Large 7/8 Pin / 3/4 D Ring

Search for the adapters on Amazon. You need that specific size and part number for the Smittybilt Dring tabs on the SRC bumper. It is a perfect fit to the Dring tabs and the roadmaster Tow arms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	warrior ring adapters 3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	560853

This combo has worked very well for me towing my 4500lb jeep all over the country including mountains for over 5000 miles!

If you choose to go the way I did be aware that the specific Dring size on the SRC bumper is a perfect match for the Warrior adapters and the adapters fit perfectly on the Roadmaster Sterling tow arms. That would not be necessarly true for other makes and combinations. I just know that this works for my rig and I have read other posts on this forum of the exact same combo working.

Last edited by dwcrisp; 06-20-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Here is some additional info from some previous posters who did what I did. Hope it helps:

Jeep braking systems
• We have an '09 JK 4 door X with auto trans. We have towed perhaps 3,000 miles behind our motorhome. As previously mentioned we tow with the transfer case in neutral; transmission in park. Use a non-chipped key to put ignition into "acc" position to unlock the steering wheel.

As far as battery, we just pull up the IOD (ignition off draw) fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. This is the fuse with the white plastic "collar with ears". It pulls up about 1/4 inch and turns off most of the vehicles circuits. The 12vt. power outlets are still hot for our towed vehicle braking system. I recall an earlier post thread about this that includes photos.

We do not accrue miles on the odometer while towing.

The only thing that has occasionally come up is that when trying to shift the transfer case into a drive mode, such as 2WD, after towing the lever sometimes feels "stuck" based on what I read here we never try to force it. Rocking the jeep just an inch or so fixes this issue.

• I've got an 07 2-dr Rubi that I recently installed a Hanson front bumper one. I though about having modified brackets fabricated and welded on and chopping up the front skid to make room...none of that was easy after dumping that amount of cash into that bumper. I looked online at Warrior Products part WAR867 tow bar d-ring adapters. Of course they are not manufactured for Roadmaster tow bars but they worked perfectly.
For reference, my towbar is a Roadmaster Sterling, the older type, but they all seem to have the 1/2 inch cross bolt in common and I believe this would work with any Sterling including the all terrain. May be just as true for any roadmaster RV-mounted system but I can't say for sure.

The opening on the Roadmaster tow arms is drilled for a 1/2 inch bolt and is 2 1/4 inches inside to inside. I replaced the grade-5 bolts that came with them with grade-8 (they really are much stronger in shear...and not brittle as commonly believed). Added 1/8 inch nylon washers between the WP adapter and stock towbar ends to take up the slack - slight interference fit with no wiggle/rattle. Worked as close to perfectly as I could have hoped for. No mods to the bumper - hook to the d-rings and go!
Old 11-07-2022, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

Smittybilt rightly deserves its place on my list with its handy adjustable hitch kit. I particularly liked the 2" hitch coupled with the universal brackets used to release and secure the vehicle to the hitch.
I like the fact that the hitch can be adjusted to fit different types of bumper widths.

Last edited by car car; 11-16-2022 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: New bumper with hooks for a tow bar?