Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member setup questions.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Member setup questions.

Just purchased a used 2007 Jeep wrangler X unlimited. Me and the wife went for a little off road adventure the other day in the rain on a muddy trail with decent incline and declines. After nearly dieing due to a total lack of control by crappy stock tires I got the go ahead for some modding.

I am thinking of the spider trax wheel spacers with my stock 16" rims some more aggresive < 33" x 12.5" tires with the teraflex quick discos.

Here are the questions;

1) What are some decent all terrain tires that will work for weekend warrior plus daily driver?

2) If I stay under 33" x 12.5" like say a 285/75R16 (32.7" X 11.3") am I going to rub on the disco pins when off road?

3) I have 3.21 gears :( are 33's gonna be too much for the powerhouse that is the 3.8L?

4) I have forgot any obvious mods? Keep in mind I don't plan on a lift or a regear.

Last edited by bobbyspaghetti; 07-06-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
Just purchased a used 2007 Jeep wrangler X unlimited. Me and the wife went for a little off road adventure the other day in the rain on a muddy trail with decent incline and declines. After nearly dieing due to a total lack of control by crappy stock tires I got the go ahead for some modding.

I am thinking of the spider trax wheel spacers with my stock 16" rims some more aggresive < 33" x 12.5" tires with the teraflex quick discos.
Well, welcome to the forums first of all! you'll find a lot of great help and support from these members. and you'll probably earn your bachelors in off roading in a 9 month accelerated program here.

I don't think you will need spidertrax spacers with 33's as the rubbing which will occur here is going to be your fenders from your wheels articulating.

1) What are some decent all terrain tires that will work for weekend warrior plus daily driver?
To be honest, I would try and do a quick cash deal for super cheap. Sell your current X tires and wheels to offset the cost of some Rubicon Wheels and Tires Take-offs. Craigslist, is hit and miss if you have patience and tons of people sell there rubicon wheels and take offs on here. i picked up mine for $450 all five wheels and tires with less then >1000 Miles on them. I sold my stockers for 375.00 to offset the cost.

2) If I stay under 33" x 12.5" like say a 285/75R16 (32.7" X 11.3") am I going to rub on the disco pins when off road?
I don't think so.

3) I have 3.21 gears :( are 33's gonna be too much for the powerhouse that is the 3.8L?
Manual, you should be fine. beats an auto with 3.73's, i get about 13.5 MPG with rubi's wheels and tires.

4) I have forgot any obvious mods? Keep in mind I don't plan on a lift or a regear.
get the rubi tires and wheels for super cheap, wheel those till they go bald and decide later how much more investments you want to do

Last edited by Pluke the 2; 07-06-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome!!!!!!!!

I ran 33s with no lift and no rubbing. As far as tires....there are hundreds of opinions on the forum so get ready for hours of reading and searching ! Your stock gears should be fine with 33s.

If you are worried about rubbing....check out the Crager or Back Rock steel rims and get different backspacing. They are like $$50-60 ea.....and are cheap for off roading use.

Spacers = $200 so the price is not much different.

Side note...I have spidertrax on my CJ5 and they are excellent quality.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm one guy says no to 33's the other says yes.

I'm wondering if I should go 32's to stay safe. I would really like to know what to do here as I really dont want any kind of rubbing. I thought that wheel spacers would keep me from rubbing on sway bars, but maybe this would make me rub the fenders like pluke said, especially if I disco. Thanks for the responses guys. Anyone else have any thoughts. I would really love to hear from someone with this setup.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm one guy says no to 33's the other says yes.
Well, I didn't say "NO" I meant to say that you will experience some rubbing on your fenders when fully stuffed.

I would really love to hear from someone with this setup.
Plenty of people here with that setup.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. I only said no because at this point I really don't want wheel rub so that's why I put as 'no'. I appreciate all the responses I get.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is what my research here gleaned for me:

Needed to replace bald and dry rotted SRA tires. However, these tires did pretty damn well all day at Rausch Creek.

285 BFG Mud Terrains, set of 1.5 inch spacers, Teraflex leveling kit, Rubi take off shocks

Hear this will give me a slightly different look than a 2010 JK stocker with 32s on 17s, which I really wanted to avoid looking like especially if I was going to spend any money on my JK.

Rubi shocks were a late addition as I thought gas might be better than hydro.

sticking with stock 16 in rims as can't justify new rims, (where would I put the old ones?) and still gotta live with the wife at home and she happens to like the look of the MOPAR alloy rims I currently have.

Last edited by Bug Stomper; 07-06-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

1) Lots of good AT's out there. Can't go wrong with BFG's. Been around forever and perform well. If you want something a bit more aggressive looking, but is still an AT, check out goodyear duratracs or nitto terra grapplers. My suggestion would be to find a load range C or D, do not get an E.

2) With spacers, you shouldn't have any problems with 33's rubbing the pins. Pretty sure it's just the 35+ tires that rub.

3) Manuals are more forgiving than auto's. If you find that you lose too much power, budget for a Flashpaq.

4) Disconnected, those front tires may contact the flares. (taller, pushed out with the spacers, a few inches more uptravel) If they do rub, you can add extended bumpstops or chop the flares. Plenty of writeups on chopping for you to look at, and may be easier than bumpstops since they go 'inside' the front coils...
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies I'm glad to hear that the manual should be able to stand the 32's or maybe 33's. Without spacers I'm guessing my stocks would rub the sway bars with anything larger then a 11.5" wide tire and with the spacers I will rub the fender flares when disco'd. Going to phone to try and finds some ruby take offs. But please chime in if anyone has any thoughts or if you are running a set-up close to this.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

what if you find a suspension off a rubicon and replace the X suspension to go with your rubicon tires. I believe that the rubicon suspension will give your jeep a slight lift to better accomodate the rubi tires

Quick Reply: New Member setup questions.