Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member setup questions.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
Thanks for the replies I'm glad to hear that the manual should be able to stand the 32's or maybe 33's. Without spacers I'm guessing my stocks would rub the sway bars with anything larger then a 11.5" wide tire and with the spacers I will rub the fender flares when disco'd. Going to phone to try and finds some ruby take offs. But please chime in if anyone has any thoughts or if you are running a set-up close to this.
Don't spend more then $650.00 for wheels and tires...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
Don't spend more then $650.00 for wheels and tires...
Where can I get 33" wheels and tires for $650?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Super1
well. i was referring to the Rubicon take off wheels and tires that are measured to approx. 32"

craigslist and the forsale section on the forums here
Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question New Ideas

Okay well it is impossible to find rubi take offs near my location (BC Canada) for a decent price so I have come with some new ideas and of course new questions. I am considering a lift now but am really leaning towards the TeraFlex leveling kit over the Budget boost. So the questions are.

1) Why go with BB over leveling kit? The other plus to this seems that I can get the quick disconnect hardware on northridge for $170.00, Seems to me that the leveling kit is way easier to install then the BB as well.

2) Plan to run 285/75/R16 probably BF goodrich T/A KO or Cooper S/T on my stock 16" rims with spyder trax spacers (like the look of the stocker rims) These tires are 32.8"x11.5" would I rub with a level kit when disco'd? No issue with trimming air dam but don't want to trim fenders.

3) Tire shop guy told me to go with cooper s/t's over the goodrich T/A KO's as they hold up to gravel roads way better. Anyone heard of this?

4) Are longer shocks needed with the leveling kit?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

The JK is at best a slug with 3:21 gears. With 285/75-16 BFG M/T KM2 it's even worse. I got tired of downshifting when going over a highway overpass to maintain speed. On a hill or driving into a strong headwind it is not uncommon to drop two gears. I went to 4:56 gears and couldn't be happier. It is a great compromise for the highway and the trail....
Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump

shocks with leveling kit.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Usually in the fall Quadratec (site sponser) has a sale on Pro-Comp tires....buy 3 get one free. That may save you some cash. There are plenty of other places online that offer similar deals as well. Like someone else said, craigslist or even "for sale" section on the forum here is a good place to look.

Many Rubion owners who just buy it for the name and don't wheel it, sell the agressive Goodyears that come stock for cheap ! Keep looking...you'll find a good deal.

Originally Posted by Super1

Last edited by jeepmedic; 07-30-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Experience

Look at pictures of the tires on WWII Jeeps and the underpowered engines they ran and see where they went.

Experience is always the first best mod you can do. Learn how to master the set up you have before you spend money on "THE BEST" because I can tell you that you will always want bigger, better, and or more but that does not mean you can't have fun with what you have.

Overcome the current problem with the tools at hand and that accomplishment is a great feeling that will always be useful.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
bump

shocks with leveling kit.
No...you shouldn't need new shocks with the leveling kit.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default No more debating it's time to act.

Well I finally made up my mind. On Tuesday because of the holiday I will be ordering the Teraflex leveling (kit not sure if I will get the teraflex q. discos....lots of people say to get the JKS any thoughts?). I got some new tires put on got a good deal on some fierce attitude M/T's 265/75/R16. Stubbied the bumper at work last night, and removed air dam (so not only was it free I made money) Thinking I need to get some spidertrax spacers too as I noticed a nice clean spot on passenger front sway bar. Need to make or buy a winch plate for stock bumper and get a winch. This should get me where I want to be both on trail and looks. When these tires wear out I'll get my hands on some 33's and do a fender chop if need be. And depending what the 33's feel like later maybe a regear (but I really dont want to have to do that). I'll get some pictures in a bit so I have a reference of the progress and some before pictures.

As always any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Stock:

New Tires:

Stubby:

Last edited by bobbyspaghetti; 08-01-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member setup questions.