Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member setup questions.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump

Any thoughts on the quick disco's JKS or Teraflex with the leveling kit?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Red face Damn this website!

Okay so I have been on the phone with a few people now namely teraflex and Dave at Northridge. Which have now basically talked me out of both of my ideas as well as a lot of cash. My plan is to install a winch on the factory stock bumper thus adding lets say a ~100+ pounds (including mount). So they tell me this is going to compress the front and sag the stock springs so BB and leveling kit are off the table. It seems like a lot of people end up swapping to the coil kits after a BB any way so maybe this is the smart move in the long run. So many awesome jeeps on here and people with such good ideas, just trying to make smart decisions.

So new plan is now for the teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shock adaptors. $640.00 dollars shipped (canadian)

So the new questions are:

1) Anyone running this setup ie. 2.5 coils with a winch and 33's?
2) I have heard that for this lift I wont need adj. control arms or track bars? How much better ride would I get if I add these? worth the price?
3) What kind of lift can I expect with a 4 door X and the 100 pounds of winch?
4) Would the teraflex shocks be worth the cash to upgrade to over the stock x shocks or any reason not to go with shock extensions?

As always any comments are welcome so lets talk me into this idea or even talk me out of it and into a new idea.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to man
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
So new plan is now for the teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shock adaptors. $640.00 dollars shipped (canadian)

2) I have heard that for this lift I wont need adj. control arms or track bars? How much better ride would I get if I add these? worth the price?
4) Would the teraflex shocks be worth the cash to upgrade to over the stock x shocks or any reason not to go with shock extensions?

As always any comments are welcome so lets talk me into this idea or even talk me out of it and into a new idea.
I am as new to this as you are so take my comments knowing they come from a true "newbie"........with that said......

I have a 2 door 2010 Sport and I have a 2" Rubicon Express lift with the Mono Tube Shocks......I think this is similar to what you are proposing. I am running 35X12.5X17 TOYO MT's. Aftermarket Front Bumper with a Warm M8000 winch. No rub under any conditions so far. Sag......well I guess there was some since the jeep was level when first installed, then lised to the rear a bit when I added the aftermarket rear bump w/ tire carrier and the 35" spare. Now it appears to be almost level again after adding the front bumper and winch. So I may have lost a little of the lift but not much.

As for the control arms and track bars etc. there are folks here far more qualified than I to provide answers / sugesions.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

1) with close to 30,000 members on this forum alone, yes, someone else is running this setup. Was there a specific question for them?
3) TF 2.5" 4door coils, plan on being in the 3-3.5" range.
2) Do you 'need' ca's and trackbars? Of course not. It's a personal preference. If the axles being off-center doesn't set off the esp, or cause a tire to rub from being in too far, or bring the driveshaft too close to the tranny, or just look funny - add them later. For the ca's, it is going to be very flighty. If your tolerance is higher than mine, add them later. (personally, I don't see how anyone can enjoy driving a 3+ inch lift with no caster correction...)
4) If you like your current shocks, there is nothing wrong with running the adapters. The new shocks will be longer, however, and give better flex. (can't comment on the ride difference between them.)

If you want to save a bit of money, go for trackbar brackets. (good ones, not cheap ones that will add leverage on the weak welds!) But a set of adj front control arms is worth every penny. (again, my opinion...)
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay well it is impossible to find rubi take offs near my location (BC Canada) for a decent price so I have come with some new ideas and of course new questions. I am considering a lift now but am really leaning towards the TeraFlex leveling kit over the Budget boost. So the questions are.

1) Why go with BB over leveling kit? The other plus to this seems that I can get the quick disconnect hardware on northridge for $170.00, Seems to me that the leveling kit is way easier to install then the BB as well.

2) Plan to run 285/75/R16 probably BF goodrich T/A KO or Cooper S/T on my stock 16" rims with spyder trax spacers (like the look of the stocker rims) These tires are 32.8"x11.5" would I rub with a level kit when disco'd? No issue with trimming air dam but don't want to trim fenders.

3) Tire shop guy told me to go with cooper s/t's over the goodrich T/A KO's as they hold up to gravel roads way better. Anyone heard of this?

4) Are longer shocks needed with the leveling kit?

Bobby:

I am also new to this forum and I will say (for the most part) that the members here are very helpful and have alot of experience. I just completed some mods to my JK and it seems that we are in similar situations. Like you I was looking to do some modifications while keeping it within a budget. If your looking for a reasonably priced A/T tire you may want to take a look at the Kelly Safari TSR. I just purchased a set of these and, so far, I am extremely impressed. I checked the forums and could not find much info. on the Kelleys. I went with them because I liked to look and price. To my surprise they have a comforatble ride and handle well. There also very quiet for such an aggressive A/T Tire. As for a lift, I listened to the forum members and spent just alittle more money on a 2.5 inch coil lift with shocks rather than a BB. It was money well spent. I think my JK actually rides better than stock. I got rid of that spongey feel and now have less body roll in corners. All in all I spent approx. $1600.00 bucks on the lift, wheel spacers and tires (I kept the stock wheels). I had to spend a little xtra on the lift because I had the dealership install it so I could keep my warranty. My advice would be to listen to the forum members (especially the moderators) and keep in mind what YOU are going to do with your Jeep. Good Luck with your mods!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01750..JPG
Views:	67
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	81084Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01749..jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	81085

Last edited by Danny4652; 08-10-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info Danny I'm glad to hear you are happy with the lift. Do you hyave any adjustable control arms or trackbars?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny4652
I had to spend a little xtra on the lift because I had the dealership install it so I could keep my warranty.

Attachment 81084Attachment 81085
Umm, hopefully you got that in writing.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Danny I'm glad to hear you are happy with the lift. Do you hyave any adjustable control arms or trackbars?
Not right now. I think I'm going to see how much wheeling I do in the future. Being new to this game, I'm learning as I go and dont want to destroy my new ride
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Umm, hopefully you got that in writing.
Actually, this dealership is pretty progressive one. They specialize in JK's and the Service Manager is a big JK fanatic. I've had several friends that have done the same thing and later went in for warranty work and its been covered. And no flags on their VIN. In addition to that they charged me $190 bucks to install the coil spring kit/shocks and do the alignment. I'm definitely not an expert, but I thought that was a pretty good price.

Quick Reply: New Member setup questions.