Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NP242 in a JK?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by desync0
The 231 had a higher torque input rating then the 242.
I haven't seen any input torque ratings for the transfer cases. The second digit refers to the case size/strength.
Would this be related to input torque rating?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently considering trading in my KJ (which has an NV242) for a JK, and this has been the one very sore point for me about the JK. I'd be very interested in doing an aftermarket transfer case swap on the JK to put an NV242 on it if possible. For a vehicle that costs what the JK does (more than the KJ), I don't understand why the NV242 wouldn't be offered-- its not like they need to develop a new transfer case and worry about making up the engineering costs only a small subset of buyers elect the option.

I live in the NE Cleveland area, and drive through the snow belt daily in the winter. As others have stated, the full-time 4WD while retaining the option of part-time when it gets really bad has been incredible. (btw, in the spring we get comeasurate amounts of rain to compensate for the lack of feet of snow, so my KJ has experienced on-road water fording). In my experience, the full-time 4WD vastly improves handling even on dry and wet pavement-- it's very noticable how much better the KJ sticks to the road when you're using the front tires to pull through a turn rather than just pushing them straight ahead from the back. I'm really not looking forward to having to constantly throw the JK in and out of part time 4WD when the roads are patchy or the weather is sub-optimal, but not yet many inches of snow.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Oh, and the NV242 should definately fit (given appropriate adapters I expect). If I'm not mistaken, the JKU is actually longer and wider than the KJ.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I was looking at the JK model the part-time case was a bit of a sore point. Make no mistake, I really like my Sahara, and I have plans to keep it for a long time. But once it is off warranty I would seriously consider the swap if it is practical. It is interesting to read the comments about how good the Liberty is in the winter with the 242. I felt like mine was unstoppable and I really put it to the test up here in some pretty bad winter storms and severe cold.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The 242 (full and part time) is a fine transfer case. It is longer than the 241 (part time) due to the location of the speedo gear in the tailhousing and having the slip yoke internal. Advance Adapters does provide a plug kit for the Atlas that plugs the speedo hole for applications like the JK that do not have the speedo sensor located in the t-case extension housing. I assume that same plug will fit in the 242.

But again the 242 is a few inches longer than the 241 and the main shaft is different. The 242 has the slip yoke located in the transfer case whereas the 241 has the slip yoke located in the driveshaft. You would have to purchase a short shaft kit for the 242 and a driveshaft to match if you don't have one already. In addition, if you purchase a used 242 without a short 23 spline input shaft, you'd have to also purchase the correct input spline during your build.

So it is possible, but you would end up investing several hundred or thousands of dollars to build a t-case that is still weaker than the 241.

I had a ZJ with full-time 4wd that I wheeled heavily. I eventually converted it from the 249 to the 242 to have the option of 2wd and full time 4wd. It did as well as I would have expected offroad and I didn't have any issues with the installation. Well I did learn that the 249 had a short 23 spline input shaft while the 242 I purchased had 21 splines. I was able to swap the input shafts which saved me a lot of time and frustration. I had shortened the rear driveshaft, but the slip yoke was still internal and the main shaft on the 249 and 242 had the same count so it matched up fine.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

The jk is longer than a ZJ, WJ, or WK. (not sure about the newest grand.)
Width-wise it is about 1" or so more narrow inside. Exterior is about the same I think.

As for the 242 working with a stick, I think I recall the ZJ guys swapping in the AX tranny with some using a 231 and others a 242.

Check with Tera Flex as I think they made or custome made a 2-Lo and a 4:1 for the 242 case.

I wonder if it is as simple as swapping input shaft and away you go?

I would enjoy a full time setting as well, but not at the expense of losing my 4:1.

But then, just add a rubi-crawler in the mix for us auto folks and we're set.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
The 242 (full and part time) is a fine transfer case. It is longer than the 241 (part time) due to the location of the speedo gear in the tailhousing and having the slip yoke internal. Advance Adapters does provide a plug kit for the Atlas that plugs the speedo hole for applications like the JK that do not have the speedo sensor located in the t-case extension housing. I assume that same plug will fit in the 242.

But again the 242 is a few inches longer than the 241 and the main shaft is different. The 242 has the slip yoke located in the transfer case whereas the 241 has the slip yoke located in the driveshaft. You would have to purchase a short shaft kit for the 242 and a driveshaft to match if you don't have one already. In addition, if you purchase a used 242 without a short 23 spline input shaft, you'd have to also purchase the correct input spline during your build.

So it is possible, but you would end up investing several hundred or thousands of dollars to build a t-case that is still weaker than the 241.

I had a ZJ with full-time 4wd that I wheeled heavily. I eventually converted it from the 249 to the 242 to have the option of 2wd and full time 4wd. It did as well as I would have expected offroad and I didn't have any issues with the installation. Well I did learn that the 249 had a short 23 spline input shaft while the 242 I purchased had 21 splines. I was able to swap the input shafts which saved me a lot of time and frustration. I had shortened the rear driveshaft, but the slip yoke was still internal and the main shaft on the 249 and 242 had the same count so it matched up fine.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think strength would be the deciding factor in my situation. Unfortunately, my JK won't see a lot of hard offroad use. There just isn't a lot of real trails in my area. There are too many lakes and swamps in the way. My rig will be built as more of an expedition JK. It is also my DD, and my long distance driver, as in let's drive across Canada or let's drive to San Diego. It will see winter bush roads, summer bush roads, and winter roads across our many lakes. The 242 would hold up just fine. Maybe once the drivetrain is off warranty I will consider this swap. It sounds like it is possible, or at least worth doing some more checking into.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been investigating the issue for a long time now. I will be definitevely doing the swap if I am assured it works. After having full-time Land Rovers and seeing the 360-degree versatility of my friends' Pajero with the Super-Select, a part/full time t-case is really the best option out there.

I had some exchanges with David from Novak-Adapters who was very kind in explaining that they are working on a "slip yoke eliminator" available sometime soon for the 242 transfer case (all versions), with an electronic speed sensor output integral to it (which doesn’t matter for the JK), as well as available rebuilt cases to which the kit can be applied.

Unfortunately I have not had any further update since last time we talked about it, this was around end April/May this year. I'd assume they have more work done on this, but he has not replied to my further queries .... so I wait.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leolito
I have been investigating the issue for a long time now. I will be definitevely doing the swap if I am assured it works. After having full-time Land Rovers and seeing the 360-degree versatility of my friends' Pajero with the Super-Select, a part/full time t-case is really the best option out there.

I had some exchanges with David from Novak-Adapters who was very kind in explaining that they are working on a "slip yoke eliminator" available sometime soon for the 242 transfer case (all versions), with an electronic speed sensor output integral to it (which doesn’t matter for the JK), as well as available rebuilt cases to which the kit can be applied.

Unfortunately I have not had any further update since last time we talked about it, this was around end April/May this year. I'd assume they have more work done on this, but he has not replied to my further queries .... so I wait.
Thanks for the information. It is nice to know I wasn't the only one thinking that a full-time option would be nice. I wonder what Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat would think about this plan for the future?? It only has to be an option. Not everyone is interested in 4:1 case for crawling etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default anyone actually tried the swap

Guys,
has anyone actually tried to swap the jk transfer case for the 242 (or 242hd)? I was told ther isn't enough room to fit the box in the jk. I am seriously considering a JK instead of my old Wj but the lack of 4HI got me worried. The european JK with the diesel engine and auto box has a very uneaven torque output and the back wheels keep on spinning any time you step harder on the throttle. I can't imagine any winter situations with the current transfer case. On the other hand both the 242 and my Wj quadradrive box work just fine when things get slippery so my question is really can you have any of them in a JK Unlimited?

Quick Reply: NP242 in a JK?