Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit

Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
There is a shroud of a different part number for JKs with 3.8L engine and manual transmission. I believe it is 68039594AA.
Be careful when you research it. Some places have the number applied to the regular shroud like the one you already have in your JK. Other places list it as fitting the diesel JK.

I don't know what the difference is between the two shrouds, (with automatic vs. manual).
Thanks for chiming in Ronjenx. I made a few calls to the Mopar parts houses that come up in a Google search. The 68039594AA, one guy said is what is already installed on the front of my JK with my current electric fan. He couldn't give me a firm answer because only what his computer spit out at him, but the original part number you have listed, 55057123AB is what I think I need to order. He says your original 55057123AB part number does not fit an 07 JK. Again I think that's just what his computer is spitting out at him. If worse comes to worse, I'll just eat the shipping charges and send back the 55057123AB if there is no way in hell it's going to fit. I probably won't be doing this upgrade till spring next year. I'll definitely update this thread if the 55057123AB fits my manual 2007 JK.

The Mopar Fiche I have for 2007 lists 55057123AB as being applicable to the 3.8L, and 55057127AB for the diesel. However it does not indicate any transmission in the fiche. We shall see!

Last edited by Seizer; 09-20-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
Has anyone done this with the 3.6? Is there room or even the correct set up for a mechanical fan?
i would be interested in this for the 3.6l if anyone has done it?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just finished this install this weekend. It went fairly smoothly other than figuring out how to Tetris the new shroud in. Once I figured that out, I took it out and reinstalled several times for a mental picture. I also did write myself notes in my cheat sheet for future use. Quite simply it was shift the passenger side of the shroud at a diagonal, in order to clear the lower mount past the lower radiator hose. Then wiggle as needed to get the driver's side mounts past the upper radiator hose, lightly persuade into lower bracket mounts and done. Fan/Clutch assembly already installed and torqued down. I had to buy the Lisle water pump spanner. It's the spanner that has two stands off for slipping into the holes of the water pump pulley. It cost about $24 dollars at Advance Auto. Figured might as well keep it. I did consider repackaging it and returning it, but ehh it will save me a trip in the future should I need to replace the fan clutch. Also I was unable to pull out the plastic body push pins without destroying them. There are four on top and three on the bottom. Luckily I had plenty to spare from bedlining the interior project. I destroyed many of those pulling out all the interior side plastics.

Here is my parts list for my 2007 manual transmission 3.8L JK.
  1. Fan Shroud P/N 55057123AB $86.44 (Same part as Ron's)
  2. Fan P/N 52079654AE $66.71 (Same part as Ron's)
  3. Fan Clutch P/N 216030 $47.99 (Carquest P/N that I bought from Advance Auto. With online ordering and a $5 off coupon my final price was $32.99) (Torque to 37ft lbs, but I did not have a 1 7/16" crow's foot to correctly torque, so German torque prevailed "Guten tite")
  4. Fan Clutch Bolts $0.38 (I had to special order these grade 8 bolts from Home Depot's website. They are 5/16", 18TPI, 5/8” length quantity of 4)(Torque to 210in lbs)
So far the JK is running great! This fan really throws some air around the engine bay. I stowed the electrical fan connector out of the way. I may someday do as Ron did with the additional electric fan, but for now I want to get a baseline temperature analysis with my Blue Driver.

If I understood the back and forth on another JK forum, I should be able to order just the smaller electric fan shroud and re-use my electric fan. So far I've not been successful in coming up with a part number just for the smaller shroud. If and when I do track down this elusive P/N I will update the thread.

Thanks again Ron for this write up!

Last edited by Seizer; 06-18-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDaPP
i would be interested in this for the 3.6l if anyone has done it?
Don't quote me on this for certain JDapp since I do not own a 3.6L JK. Here is where I ordered my fan and fan shroud from. https://www.moparpartssurplus.com/a/.../i2272280.html

These guys at Athens Dodge parts department displayed great customer service to me. As you can see in their parts diagram the 55057123AB fan shroud is shown and listed along with the 52079654AE fan. They list 3 different fan drives/clutches. A quick add into to Advance Auto website does not come up with a fan clutch. You'll likely need to do some research on that. According to the microfiche parts catalog I have access to for the 3.8L JK lists the parts that I used in the response above as being applicable to the 2.8L diesel engine. Good luck and if I can assist any further let me know.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Appreciate it, thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

JDapp after a little bit of research it looks like the 3.6 engine uses the same part number water pump that the 3.8 engine uses. If you snap a photo of the water pump or just check and see that it has the big fine threaded spindle sticking out, I would gamble you can buy the same fan clutch. Please research throughly before plunking down your hard earned money.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
JDapp after a little bit of research it looks like the 3.6 engine uses the same part number water pump that the 3.8 engine uses. If you snap a photo of the water pump or just check and see that it has the big fine threaded spindle sticking out, I would gamble you can buy the same fan clutch. Please research throughly before plunking down your hard earned money.
3.8L and 3.6L engines have totally different water pumps.
Good advice on doing the research before buying.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
3.8L and 3.6L engines have totally different water pumps.
Good advice on doing the research before buying.
Derp. Thanks for pointing that out Ron. I could have sworn it listed the same water pump part number that’s listed for the 3.8L

Ron has far better understanding of the Jeep than I do.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Appreciate it. Was looking it up last night and saw they are different. Doesn't look like 3.6l has threaded end unless the cover is just a cap.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51212_0036.htm

oh well, thanks for the help.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Time for an update...

I have 135,000 miles on the mechanical fan installation, (185,000 miles on the JK).

Whether it's -30°F or +95°F outside, the transmission continues to run in the 90°F to 130°F range; the engine continues to run in the 195°F to 200°F range;
the heater and AC continue to work well; under-hood temperatures remain much cooler than before the installation.
Still running the original water pump.
Average gas mileage is still approximately ½ mpg less than the long term average before the installation.

Quick Reply: OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit