Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions???

Old 02-01-2017, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sltimmins
I was looking at prices for buying lockers and installing them, regearing, new diff covers, strengthening the axles, higher spline count, etc. and the total price was around the same price as a new bolt-on axle with all the goodies already assembled.
Locker and gears for the rear, installed for you is no more then $1800 ... there is no cheaper way then that. If you fell the need for the rear to be trussed the you need a D60 not a fancy D44.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Locker and gears for the rear, installed for you is no more then $1800 ... there is no cheaper way then that. If you fell the need for the rear to be trussed the you need a D60 not a fancy D44.
I am trying to avoid getting a D60 because they are around $8k more than the D44, heavier, and decrease my clearance. And I don't need an axle that is that big.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Sltimmins
Also, can anyone explain the difference to me between electronic, EDECT, and air diff lockers? I know that the way they lock the diffs is different but can anyone tell me which locker is the best?
Between the air and electric, it's just the actuation method. Used to be that the eaton e-locker for d44's was a weaker 2pin design, making the 4pin arb the stronger choice. But since eaton updated the design, many are favoring it just to not have to run air lines.

The ECTED is an interesting idea, but seems to have failed somewhat in the execution. It is a clutch-based limited slip, that also has an electric activated selectable locker portion. The problem many people have with it is the clutches. They are a wear item, especially with offroad use. For a limited slip, the Detroit Truetrac is a much better choice. For an e-locker, you are already considering the Eaton. Ected? Find first-hand reviews from people who run them and read their opinions. Maybe the clutches aren't as big an issue as imagined.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Between the air and electric, it's just the actuation method. Used to be that the eaton e-locker for d44's was a weaker 2pin design, making the 4pin arb the stronger choice. But since eaton updated the design, many are favoring it just to not have to run air lines.

The ECTED is an interesting idea, but seems to have failed somewhat in the execution. It is a clutch-based limited slip, that also has an electric activated selectable locker portion. The problem many people have with it is the clutches. They are a wear item, especially with offroad use. For a limited slip, the Detroit Truetrac is a much better choice. For an e-locker, you are already considering the Eaton. Ected? Find first-hand reviews from people who run them and read their opinions. Maybe the clutches aren't as big an issue as imagined.
Thanks for your tip it's what I did. I pmed a couple guys and read some threads who not only have the same locker that comes assembled in the axle I am planning on getting but the same exact axle kit too. They all said they've heard of people having the clutch issues where it would unlock if you were going at something too hard but it had never happened to them and they had only heard of it happening on the older lockers not on the newer ones.

Quick Reply: Opinions???