Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions needed - Winch Selection

Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha i hear ya. i do have a tendancy to learn things the hard way, so im sure it waill crap out on me (hope not, knock on wood) and then i will have to save up again and get a warn.

If synth line isnt important to you, then i think u should get the M8000 and a snatch block as alot have said. I was going to go for the M8000, but i really wanted synthetic line, and for a little less than the price of the M8000, i went with the xrc8comp.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

And don't get me wrong - I'd sure looooooooooove to have a synthetic line [from many perspectives - weight, ease, safety, etc.]... But I think the WARN winches with a synthetic line is just not in the budget right now. Unless one happens to go on sale Like a really BIG SALE
Old 02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
And don't get me wrong - I'd sure looooooooooove to have a synthetic line [from many perspectives - weight, ease, safety, etc.]... But I think the WARN winches with a synthetic line is just not in the budget right now. Unless one happens to go on sale Like a really BIG SALE
Keep your eyes peeled as I got lucky with my Warn being on Sale...Yes they do come on sale! Good luck with your decision.....I am just waiting for my LOD bumpers to come before I can get my Warn winch on.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

We spend thousands on lifts, tires & wheels, bumpers and sliders. Not to mention the price of the JK.

Why would go cheap on your safety/recovery equipment, just doesn't make any since.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by castor07jk
We spend thousands on lifts, tires & wheels, bumpers and sliders. Not to mention the price of the JK.

Why would go cheap on your safety/recovery equipment, just doesn't make any since.
Not quite.... I didn't spend thousands on my lift, tires, wheels or bumpers [sorry, don't have any sliders yet ]. Now, yes, did do that on the JK...

But jokes aside, I'm not trying to go cheap - it's one of those things where I'm trying to justify a purchase of a product I may not necessarily use. I needed it once so far on a trail, but probably, had I known the difficulty of the slope we were attempting, I probably wouldn't have gone there. To me, it's one of those "nice to have should I ever need it" things rather than "let me get one to take me places I probably shouldn't go to". If I opt to go with the M8000, I don't think I'd be skimping on quality just because it's inexpensive. I'm just trying to think it over to see if there's any possible reason I might want to go to say - a 9500 or even a Powerplant [though those things are nice]. The other thing I'd been thinking over is that I probably would do the ARB air compressor mod somewhere down the line too which in itself is a few hundred dollar mod - so, does that make it more sensible to wait a while longer and save up for the Powerplant and skip the air compressor mod?

Decisions... decisions.... and people told me I was sinking money in the hole when I bought my boat
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

Not quite.... I didn't spend thousands on my lift, tires, wheels or bumpers [sorry, don't have any sliders yet ]. Now, yes, did do that on the JK...

But jokes aside, I'm not trying to go cheap - it's one of those things where I'm trying to justify a purchase of a product I may not necessarily use. I needed it once so far on a trail, but probably, had I known the difficulty of the slope we were attempting, I probably wouldn't have gone there. To me, it's one of those "nice to have should I ever need it" things rather than "let me get one to take me places I probably shouldn't go to". If I opt to go with the M8000, I don't think I'd be skimping on quality just because it's inexpensive. I'm just trying to think it over to see if there's any possible reason I might want to go to say - a 9500 or even a Powerplant [though those things are nice]. The other thing I'd been thinking over is that I probably would do the ARB air compressor mod somewhere down the line too which in itself is a few hundred dollar mod - so, does that make it more sensible to wait a while longer and save up for the Powerplant and skip the air compressor mod?

Decisions... decisions.... and people told me I was sinking money in the hole when I bought my boat
Getting a deal on a good winch is not going cheap. Buying a cheaply built winch is going cheap.

I think the Warn M8000 would work for your plans.

Last edited by castor07jk; 02-03-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

i'm looking at getting the smitty xrc10hd, winch depot sells it for $750 and its rated at 10,000 lbs, has a 150psi air compressor, and a 2.5gal air tank, thats a pretty good deal
Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi

Was researching more on Warn's website and they have a refurbished Tabor 12K for $450.00. Anyone else have experience with Tabor? Quality? Pros/Cons? Would this be a decent buy or stay away from factory refurb? At the moment, I think I'm decided on a Warn product. The more thought I give it, I think I'd rather go with the quality and reliability that they're known for - nothing against any other product. But seeing as Tabor is made by Warn, I figured if this option is worth considering. Probably overkill for my needs, but for the price, it didn't seem a bad bet. Thoughts welcome and appreciate everyone that put their input in to help me out
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Was researching more on Warn's website and they have a refurbished Tabor 12K for $450.00. Anyone else have experience with Tabor? Quality? Pros/Cons? Would this be a decent buy or stay away from factory refurb? At the moment, I think I'm decided on a Warn product. The more thought I give it, I think I'd rather go with the quality and reliability that they're known for - nothing against any other product. But seeing as Tabor is made by Warn, I figured if this option is worth considering. Probably overkill for my needs, but for the price, it didn't seem a bad bet. Thoughts welcome and appreciate everyone that put their input in to help me out
The local Jeep shop did not recommend the TABOR brand. They said they have had a few come back for warranty issues....more so than other brands.
My friends quote is probably the best winch quote ever....he has had a Warn for 10 years and a bunch of guys one day were discussing how their cheapie (champion, gorilla, smittybilt, rugged ridge, offshore stuff) would break but the warranty was amazing. My buddy goes "yeah I have no idea what the warranty on the WARN is....in ten years I've never needed it".
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Warn has a lifetime warranty as well. Tabor only 1 year.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed - Winch Selection