Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ordered K&N Filter

Old 06-23-2007, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine (drop in) yesterday. I can feel a difference in power, which is nice. Sounds better. Not sure about MPG yet?
I have to find some time to stop jumpin on it to test that!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

K&N is nothing more than a good rock screen. Hold one up to the light and see for yourself. I had one for a very short while on a 500hp Cummins. They flow more air but also flow more dirt.

Look elsewhere.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpaddict
K&N is nothing more than a good rock screen. Hold one up to the light and see for yourself. I had one for a very short while on a 500hp Cummins. They flow more air but also flow more dirt.

Look elsewhere.
???? I have been using K&N in every vehicle I have ever owned and never had a single problem with them. You state that they are a good rock screen and flow more dirt..... Not to be rude but where is your proof or source of information, or is this just your opinion?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

I wondered about this also. The K&N certainly passes
more light through and therefore more fine particulates.

Seems to run smoother with the K&N. The stock
filter shown had 10K on it. Not much fine dirt was trapped
during that time, mostly bugs.

See pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0451 (2).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2134   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0452 (2).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2135   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0450 (2).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2136  
Old 06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpaddict

Look elsewhere.
If K&N's are nothing more than "rock screens" why are they still in business after more than 35 years? That amount of time is more than enough to bury a faulty product.
They have a solid product that actually does what they claim it to do IF it is maintained properly. I suspect the naysayers of K&N products don't fully understand how to care for them.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would lower it and put on some bling 22's and use the rest if the cash for woofers.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a K&N on my 2000 TJ, and from personal expereince I can tell you -- it added no real power (other than sound), and does a HORRIBLE job at stopping dirt/dust particles from entering the intake.

It looks good with the hood up, though, but any percieved power gain is in your heads, especailly if you aren't "chip modding" the car. Since the onboard computer isn't designed for the increased airflow (thus doesn't even know about the increased airflow), the gas/air mix will be improper unless you "mod" the computer controlled injection to take that into account...and even then, the added "power" is a myth, IMHO. This is from an honest personal experience. I spent the money on the chip, the K&N and the less restrictive exhaust...and other than a weak attempt at trying to convince myself of a power gain, all I really gained was less money in my wallet and a louder Jeep, which I admit, did sound nice.

After a few months of using the K&N "bug filter", as I call it, detatch it from your intake and take a look inside...the entire inner ring will be coated in dirt/gunk...you'll need to clean that from time to time or you may feel engine pull from the compresser kicking on since the dirt/gunk buildup can prevent the intake from closing all the way, as it normally would. K&N's are far too porous...and like I said, if your computer controlled injection system isn't aware of the added airflow, the gas to air mixture ratio will be off -- thus you're "power gain" is rendered ... well, non-existant.

Last edited by hPOD; 06-25-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hPOD
I have a K&N on my 2000 TJ, and from personal expereince I can tell you -- it added no real power (other than sound), and does a HORRIBLE job at stopping dirt/dust particles from entering the intake.

It looks good with the hood up, though, but any percieved power gain is in your heads, especailly if you aren't "chip modding" the car. Since the onboard computer isn't designed for the increased airflow (thus doesn't even know about the increased airflow), the gas/air mix will be improper unless you "mod" the computer controlled injection to take that into account...and even then, the added "power" is a myth, IMHO. This is from an honest personal experience. I spent the money on the chip, the K&N and the less restrictive exhaust...and other than a weak attempt at trying to convince myself of a power gain, all I really gained was less money in my wallet and a louder Jeep, which I admit, did sound nice.

After a few months of using the K&N "bug filter", as I call it, detatch it from your intake and take a look inside...the entire inner ring will be coated in dirt/gunk...you'll need to clean that from time to time or you may feel engine pull from the compresser kicking on since the dirt/gunk buildup can prevent the intake from closing all the way, as it normally would. K&N's are far too porous...and like I said, if your computer controlled injection system isn't aware of the added airflow, the gas to air mixture ratio will be off -- thus you're "power gain" is rendered ... well, non-existant.

Sounds more like a gasket sealing problem than an air filter problem. I've used K&N for years and have never experienced what you have seen.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John L
Sounds more like a gasket sealing problem than an air filter problem. I've used K&N for years and have never experienced what you have seen.
No gasket problem, the filter is simply sub-par at doing it's actual job...there is no real advantage of using one other than it sounds louder and looks better. Everyone that has ever used them talks about this "power gain", but I don't see it. I think it's more like a prideful denial that it added no power, but cost a little extra...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

A less restrictive exhaust will increase power. I don't see how you could think it's all in your head. Go to a dyno and check it out yourself. MPG will increase, check your average mpg.

Quick Reply: Ordered K&N Filter