Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ORFab Tire/Gas Carrier and TF CB mount

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORFab Tire/Gas Carrier and TF CB mount

Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not the Teraflex CB antenna mount can still be used with the ORFab Tire/Gas carrier (Blitz style metal gerry cans)? This is an issue of clearance: is there enough space between a mounted gas can (closed position) and the tail gate to keep the Teraflex CB antenna mount?

I know the ORfab carrier has provisions for a CB antenna, but I would rather not re-route the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	75544-lg.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	285474  

Last edited by awesomo; 03-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure with your mount but the orfab cb mount....... Well there us two. One on the hinge side and one on the landing block side. I use the hinge side because the carrier and tailgate open independantly so I only have 6 inches of cable exposed. I drilled out a small pirtion of the bottom right taillight housing( just enough so the cable sits in the slot) not in the sealed tailight though, and used the 1 1/2 inch grommeted hole inside the tub that the tailight wires run. That way no holes were drilled in my body. Sealed the area around the cable wuth RTV and done. If you wanna see pics up close PM me your email and Ill show you
Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
Not sure with your mount but the orfab cb mount....... Well there us two. One on the hinge side and one on the landing block side. I use the hinge side because the carrier and tailgate open independantly so I only have 6 inches of cable exposed. I drilled out a small pirtion of the bottom right taillight housing( just enough so the cable sits in the slot) not in the sealed tailight though, and used the 1 1/2 inch grommeted hole inside the tub that the tailight wires run. That way no holes were drilled in my body. Sealed the area around the cable wuth RTV and done. If you wanna see pics up close PM me your email and Ill show you
Thanks for the info!

But honestly, if I have to re-route the antenna line because the TF bracket won't fit...it will be a deal breaker for me....
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't recall if I had my Vector Plate (about the same thickness - I used to run the TF CB Mount) on my tailgate when I was running the OR-Fab with Military Jerry Cans but I can tell you it should work since it works now with our Rotopax style OR-Fab carrier. I'd confirm with the OR-Fab on the forum to be sure.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

If that helps, the large rubber nipples mounted on the tailgate that help keeping the spare tire from wobbling on the stock tire carrier are just long enough to also slightly press against the standard size lip-type Gerry cans on the carrier.

You can also move the Gerry cans out or inwards from the center position.

So, if your antenna mount is the same length of the rubber nipples and centered on the tailgate you should be fine.

If you wish I can get the exact distance between tailgate and can tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a quick check with the rotopax carrier and the Teraflex bracket it didn't seem to work. However I think Hskr4x4 helped install one on a jerry can orfab carrier. Just PM or call him.

I have a cooltech mount and it did not work with my rotopax orfab carrier. So I got a 12 inch piece of steel and drilled 3 holes in it to mount it up higher. It works fine now. I have about a quarter inch of clearance between the mount and the rotopax. I currently have the L bend facing inward, but it does fit outward too. When it is facing outward it covers the rotopax a bit, but it still fits without touching the rotopax.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3)1.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	285625Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4)1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	285626Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5)1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	285627Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6)1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	285628

UPDATE. I talked with my friend with the Teraflex cb mount and the Jerry can Orfab carrier. She said the can rubs on the cb mount, but some filing or grinding of the mount would fix it without hurting the mount.

Last edited by remark; 03-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by remark
I did a quick check with the rotopax carrier and the Teraflex bracket it didn't seem to work. However I think Hskr4x4 helped install one on a jerry can orfab carrier. Just PM or call him.

I have a cooltech mount and it did not work with my rotopax orfab carrier. So I got a 12 inch piece of steel and drilled 3 holes in it to mount it up higher. It works fine now. I have about a quarter inch of clearance between the mount and the rotopax. I currently have the L bend facing inward, but it does fit outward too. When it is facing outward it covers the rotopax a bit, but it still fits without touching the rotopax.

Attachment 285625Attachment 285626Attachment 285627Attachment 285628

UPDATE. I talked with my friend with the Teraflex cb mount and the Jerry can Orfab carrier. She said the can rubs on the cb mount, but some filing or grinding of the mount would fix it without hurting the mount.
Do you think its a variance between the gerry can version and the rotopax version?

In this picture, the distance between the gerry can and the tailgate is at least the length of the stock tire bump stops. And I know the TF cb mount is shorter....
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I don't know the space difference between the rotopax and jerry can versions. But I would guess from talking to people that the Jerry can version may have slightly more room for the cb mount.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by awesomo
Do you think its a variance between the gerry can version and the rotopax version?
In this picture, the distance between the gerry can and the tailgate is at least the length of the stock tire bump stops. And I know the TF cb mount is shorter....
Originally Posted by remark
Honestly I don't know the space difference between the rotopax and jerry can versions. But I would guess from talking to people that the Jerry can version may have slightly more room for the cb mount.
The distance between the tailgate to the carrier is reduced on the Rotopax version (we had both versions) but your point it a good one since the bump stop is thicker than the TF CB mount.
OP - Looks like it should work it you asked me.

Quick Reply: ORFab Tire/Gas Carrier and TF CB mount