Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP !!! Another Bump stop question !!!

Old 12-22-2017, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP !!! Another Bump stop question !!!

I have a '14 JKU with 4" springs, 35" tires, stock fenders, shock length extended 24.63", collapsed 14.87"...How much bump stop do I need? And which are the best to get ? I am really worried about damaging the shocks.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowjack989
I have a '14 JKU with 4" springs, 35" tires, stock fenders, shock length extended 24.63", collapsed 14.87"...How much bump stop do I need? And which are the best to get? I am really worried about damaging the shocks.
How much? Until your tires stop rubbing against places they shouldn't. It's a trial and error because with the measurements you provided, you appear to be thinking that there is some formula you can follow. You can't, there are too many variables. As for shock damage, those should be fine once you start flexing and stop the rubbing, the shocks are fine at that point.
The following users liked this post:
lowjack989 (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Between this thread and your other one, you've gotten the real answer. There is no simple formula to determine proper bumpstop. This is one thing that many people don't understand. They think that just cuz they bought a lift that has bumps included, those are automatically the proper length stops to use, but that is not necessarily the case. The only way to really tell is to cycle your suspension. You've heard that term a few times now. Unfortunately it's kinda a pain in the rear to do. Realistically, you need to remove the coil, and jack up that corner of the axle. what you are looking to do is prevent the tire from stuffing in the well completely, and prevent the shock from compressing completely....whichever of those might happen first (different on every jeep depending on suspension lift, tire size, shock length). Up front you're gonna have to remove the spring in order to install bumpstop anyhow. It's really best if you just get something that is adjustable like the metalcloak ones....that way you can increase or decrease bump in 1" increments as needed.....or if your lift changes over time, forcing you to change the bump lengths. One realworld example would be if you install something like the EVO RockStars in the rear. Those would raise the rear shock mount, and hence change the distance the shock can travel before full compression. Anyhow, cycle the suspension and measure the proper length of bump to avoid fully stuffing the tire, or fully compressing the shock. That's the only way to really do it right.
lowjack989 (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you cant take the time to do it right just throw some 3" bumps on there and you will be covered for a 35x12.5" tire that is on a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

I'm more worried about the shocks...Also, now looking at limiting straps,ugh. So, just use the same method to measure them, by cycling the suspension, correct? I want to do this correctly but it'd be a helluva lot easier if there was a calculation to use
Old 12-26-2017, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

3" of bump stop will cover your shocks compressed length, again since you don't want to take the time to properly cycle and measure.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 12-26-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Not that I don't want to, it's that I can't, I don't have access to a shop and I have to rely on a local mechanic to do it. I just don't want to waste money on them cycling it and measuring then have to put it back together and buy the parts and then take it apart again.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I want to do this correctly but it'd be a helluva lot easier if there was a calculation to use
Yup, unfortunately nothing about lifting a jeep is as simple (or cheap) as we'd like it to be.

Not that I don't want to, it's that I can't, I don't have access to a shop and I have to rely on a local mechanic to do it.
All you really need is floor jack, jack stand, few hand tools (socket wrench, sockets, torque wrench, possibly a breaker bar), measuring tape, and a flat surface.....preferably nice concrete rather gravel (drive way, garage, apartment parking lot....local retail parking lot). Not to harp on you or anything.....but when it comes to any of this stuff, can't reiterate enough how much better off you are figuring it out how to do it and do it yourself rather than pay someone to do it for you. The knowledge you gain along the way accumulates and will benefit you for years to come. Understandably, some just physically can't do it, but if you can, you should try. There's no doubt what should be a very simple task is kinda a PITA. Most people don't take the time to do it right (hence Dirtman's comment), or they just don't know any better till they learn their lesson the hard way.

edit to add to the list of things you'd need above.....guess you'd need a drill and bits as you need to drill a hole in the front spring perch to install bumps.
lowjack989 (12-27-2017)

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP !!! Another Bump stop question !!!