Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Plug and Play Remote Starter $100 on ebay

Old 09-11-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I've searched and searched but not sure about one thing. Most of you are using this just to get OEM remote start.

I am looking for info from anyone who has used this to install an AFTERMARKET 2-way system. Such as the one pictured in the previous post. I have a Viper 5706V and am looking to use this module for the install.

Does it need programming to work with aftermarket or was that something that was only required when you were trying to interface with the OEM system?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armandov99
Alright, I've searched and searched but not sure about one thing. Most of you are using this just to get OEM remote start. I am looking for info from anyone who has used this to install an AFTERMARKET 2-way system. Such as the one pictured in the previous post. I have a Viper 5706V and am looking to use this module for the install. Does it need programming to work with aftermarket or was that something that was only required when you were trying to interface with the OEM system?
It's made for oem and will need programming regardless. Is be interested also to know if the viper key fob could be programmed to this. Best bet though, you really can't beat an all in one alarm/remote start from someone like viper.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. From what I thought I read this is actually meant to make installation of aftermarket system easier. No need to hook up a ton of wires, this interfaces with the car and provides a immobilized bypass then plugs into the aftermarket alarm and gives it all the signals it needs except maybe parking lights.

It just so happens as someone pointed out that you can use this by itself as a standalone remote start.

I just haven't seen a lot of info about interfacing it with aftermarket and I thought the programming was needed when you're NOT using aftermarket and just using it standalone. Hmmm.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Plug and Play Remote Starter $100 on ebay

Originally Posted by armandov99
Alright, I've searched and searched but not sure about one thing. Most of you are using this just to get OEM remote start.

I am looking for info from anyone who has used this to install an AFTERMARKET 2-way system. Such as the one pictured in the previous post. I have a Viper 5706V and am looking to use this module for the install.

Does it need programming to work with aftermarket or was that something that was only required when you were trying to interface with the OEM system?
I used the Directed DBall2 to interface with the Jeep with minimal wiring. Below is the schematic of what I did. Pretty simple.

I installed it in the dead of winter so I haven't even ran the extra wires as shown, just the t-harness, DBall2, and the Viper alarm module with a couple sensors. I did have to buy the programming kit for the dball to get the correct firmware (I believe there are a few sellers that will do this for you). I wanted the viper because I have the same system on my f150 and the remotes can be set up for two vehicles. Make the key ring lighter!! If you don't want the alarm functionality, you can just add the range extender modulation and get the two way remotes. Also the OEM fobs arm and disarm the viper security system.

Here's a link to the full install sheets.

http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDow...irmwareid=3360
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I had seen those form xpresskit before but still couldn't decipher if it was 3a, 3b, or 3c ... plus I couldn't see where you would connect to the alarm module. It looks like that's where the smartstart connection is?

Anyway, I ended up ordering the EVO CHRT5 so we'll see what I can figure out...thanks.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone who bought this about a year ago having any issues with it now? I just purchased one plan to install it next weekend, but curious how they have been doing.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never got mine working on the '08 and sold the Jeep. Been meaning to try on the '12 but not sure if I need to have it reflashed for '12 or if the same firmware works.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Wife bought me the Fortin EVO ALL for Christmas because I had it sitting in her Amazon cart. Unfortunately, she didn't know to contact the seller to have them flash it. No biggie, ordered the Flashlink updater so I could flash it myself.

Flashing it was tricky. Instructions were so so. After 10-15 minutes of trying different things, got it to flash. Install in the Jeep literally takes minutes. Worked as advertised.

One caution though, it's only as good as the range of your factory keyfob. So if you can't lock your doors from where you'd be remote starting it... you will have to do what I did.

Since I work in a rather large office complex, I either have to show up at 6am, or I'm parking quite a few rows back ( say 300-400 feet ) So I researched extended range antennas. Luckily, there is an extended range setup that worked directly with the EVO Unit.

Crimestoppers has a few different extended range setups. Tough to find on the net to purchase, as I believe it's only sold to dealers/installers. I found a gent on ebay that sells them. Ordered, arrived...

... and come to find out that the EVO needed to be "told" about the antenna and extra keyfob. So luckily I had my handy dandy Flashlink to reflash the EVO. Once again flashing the EVO was hit or miss. After a few tries it flashed... programmed it for the Crimestoppers keyfob. All set.

I must say it's hit or miss as far as getting it to start. There are factors that play into this though. I do not have the antenna permanently installed, it's just hanging over the rearview mirror. Second, I don't know what kind of havoc my office building/windows play with the RF signal. So far I'm 3/5 starting it.

All together:
EVO ALL: $99 (free from santa)
Flashlink: $65
Ext Range: $49
Grand Total: $213

I haven't shopped around for what it would have been to be installed professionally so I can't say if this is 'worth' it or not. I was going to after Christmas if it weren't for the wifey...
Old 01-17-2015, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Hope it all goes well for you, mine just shipped so I'll be installing it next weekend.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

That was way to easy. Installed and working good in 15 minutes, one thing I didn't expect was the doors automatically lock themselves after exiting now. Glad I grabbed the keys.

Quick Reply: Plug and Play Remote Starter $100 on ebay