Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post lift issues

Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and at 3.5 you should at least have track bar brackets and control arms or drop brackets
Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Shocking60
When I called rough country they said that their adjustable control arm would be an alternative to installing the bracket.
I am not able to install the factory pitman arm back on because it was cut off. Is installing that bracket really the only way? I really don't want to have to go through all the extra work to also relocate the steering stabilizer.
The trackbar and drag link need to be roughly parallel. How do you retain that relationship if you change the angle on the drag link, but leave the trackbar where it is? They come as a package, the drop relocates the drag link and the bracket relocates the trackbar, keeping them in relation to each other.

My guess would be that you talked to a sales guy, or you didn't inform him that you were going to use the drop without the bracket.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
Yes and at 3.5 you should at least have track bar brackets and control arms or drop brackets
An alignment will not solve the OP's problem. If you look at the lift, you would see that it includes fixed arms for the caster, non-adjustable. As noted, the camber is non-adjustable. He has already centered the axle. He has already centered the steering wheel. The toe didn't change.

So what exactly are you telling him to pay an alignment shop for?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cause I'm
Saying he needs all the adjustable components and to get them set with a lift of that height
Old 05-14-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

You either install the frame side drop bracket for the track bar OR you install a stock pitman arm. I would do the stock pitman arm route.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
Cause I'm
Saying he needs all the adjustable components and to get them set with a lift of that height
Lol, the caster is already set for the lift height. But you want him to pull off the control arms that came with the lift and buy a set of adjustable arms to do the exact same thing?

The problem is NOT caster. It is the angles on the trackbar and drag link. I don't know about the alignment shops where you are, but I have talked to a few around here that I know would just scratch their heads and wonder what the hell was going on with this problem.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-14-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
And if you decide you want steering correction but don't want to use the drop, look at any of the high steer / drag link flip options out there. Synergy makes a good one)
So would a high steer kit help fix this?
What about the steering wheel not remaining centered?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 36Fan
You either install the frame side drop bracket for the track bar OR you install a stock pitman arm. I would do the stock pitman arm route.
The bracket is axle side and I was told that an adjustable would be better than a bracket.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

A drag link flip / high steer does the same thing, just in a different way. They relocate one end of the trackbar, while moving the axle end of the drag link up on top of the steering knuckle. I don't know how a drop pitman would affect it, but I imagine you could fab up some type of trackbar bracket that would let them work together.

Best option is to just find a stock pitman arm somewhere. Or shorten the adj trackbar to where you can use the bracket that came with the lift.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shocking60
The bracket is axle side and I was told that an adjustable would be better than a bracket.
Cheapest fix, stock pitman arm.

Quick Reply: Post lift issues