Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post lift issues

Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Lol, the caster is already set for the lift height. But you want him to pull off the control arms that came with the lift and buy a set of adjustable arms to do the exact same thing? The problem is NOT caster. It is the angles on the trackbar and drag link. I don't know about the alignment shops where you are, but I have talked to a few around here that I know would just scratch their heads and wonder what the hell was going on with this problem.
And you need alignment to adjust your toe to
Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
And you need alignment to adjust your toe to
The lift didn't change the toe spec. It 'is' adjustable, but again, NOT the problem here. The issue is using only half of the steering correction that came with the lift. (the drop pitman without using the trackbar bracket)

I am not saying that an alignment is necessarily a bad thing, just that it is not a solution to this problem.

There is a decent DIY Alignment writeup up in the writeups area that shows step-by-step procedures, with pics, on how to center the steering wheel and check/adjust the toe. Both are fairly easy to do.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 36Fan
Cheapest fix, stock pitman arm.
So just buy a new pitman arm and be done with it?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shocking60
Or find a used stock one. That would put it back to stock steering angles and eliminate your bump steer.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Shocking60
Yep. That puts the drag link and trackbar parallel again, just leaves them at steeper angles.

Then at some point in the future, if you want to address the steep angles, you look into a high steer or flip. (or the drop pitman/bracket solution you chose to only do half of... )
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep. That puts the drag link and trackbar parallel again, just leaves them at steeper angles.

Then at some point in the future, if you want to address the steep angles, you look into a high steer or flip. (or the drop pitman/bracket solution you chose to only do half of... )
Are there any major problems with having the steep angles?
When would it become an issue?
What about the steering wheel not staying centered?

Last edited by Shocking60; 05-14-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Drive it and see what you think, but nope, no major problems from the steeper angles.

I ran a 4" lift for several years with no correction. After adding a synergy flip, I noticed the ride was less harsh (from road bumps not traveling up those bars into the frame, or so I have heard it explained). Also added raised trackbar brackets at the same time, so I am getting a lot less body roll than before. Again, it wasn't an issue before, just getting a better ride now.

And I'm not sure about the steering wheel not staying centered. Pitman not tightened enough? Damage to the shaft when cutting off the old one? Maybe give some more info on what is happening immediately prior to it going offcenter?

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-14-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just recheck all of your measurements and look for anything wrong. Re-center the steering wheel and check all the bolts again. How far is it off. Are you sure it was centered to begin with?

Quick Reply: Post lift issues