Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pulling left / rear axle not centered

Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling left / rear axle not centered

Newbie here. My Info first:
JKU- Recently installed RK 3.5" mid-arm flex system, running Nitto Trail Grappler 35/12.5/18 at 28psi all around. (Factory steering stabilizer)
Since I lifted it Jeep pulls slightly to the left, increases with higher highway speeds obviously. I also noticed today that the rear axle is off center about a 1/2 inch to the passenger side. 1) Could that be making it pull/veer to the left? 2) How big of a deal is it that my rear axle is off center(as far as damaging other things)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you had the Jeep aligned since installing the lift?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:41 AM
JK Freak

Yes sir I have. They say good to go
Old 10-15-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the rear end shifted to one side or is it turned to one side? I am running my jeep at 2.5" with the stock rear track bar and no relocation bracket and the rear end is shifted over to the right but it still drives straight.

btw before anyone gives me any crap about that, the track bar bracket I got was the wrong one and I already had everything else installed will have the right parts by the end of the week.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you or the alignment shop re-center the steering wheel? You might think it's pulling because it's off just a hair. It's easy to correct if not using the drag link. Takes about 10 minutes.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That system has just front lower control arms, correct?

A common reason is due to how the caster is adjusted. It should be slightly different from side to side. Do you have your post alignment data?

Also, there is a rear toe measurement that does matter. You can't actually adjust individual toe on the rear (obviously), but total toe can be adjusted. Basically, it is adjusting the axle in relation to the jeep. Imagine if you had adjustable rear arms and you made one side an inch longer. Axle would be crooked (hence, toe of each Wheel is off). You want those to be the same.

Lastly, and I have no data on this other than I saw it come up in another thread, but people are saying the Trail Grapplers are known to pull left.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. The trail grapplers seem to do that which I just can't beleive and would consider totally unacceptable but I think it's true. I aired up to 38 lbs and switch the tires left to right and that seems to help. My alignment is good too. I think the concept is called radial pull. I'm intersted to hear what people have to say about this this too.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlampe
I have the same problem. The trail grapplers seem to do that which I just can't beleive and would consider totally unacceptable but I think it's true. I aired up to 38 lbs and switch the tires left to right and that seems to help. My alignment is good too. I think the concept is called radial pull. I'm intersted to hear what people have to say about this this too.
For what's worth, my Dad has the same issue when he put the Nittos on. He went back to the show where he got his post alignment lift done and they adjusted the caster on one side. There is a range and one side can easily be .5* different than the other. You CAN solve the pull by adjusting caster on one side. He had it adjust .3* on one side and it drives straight now.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
For what's worth, my Dad has the same issue when he put the Nittos on. He went back to the show where he got his post alignment lift done and they adjusted the caster on one side. There is a range and one side can easily be .5* different than the other. You CAN solve the pull by adjusting caster on one side. He had it adjust .3* on one side and it drives straight now.
thanks for that advice! Never heard of that being done. I think I've checked every other option. I'm going to try to borrow a buddy's wheels/tires to check the TrailGrappler theory.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So here's a question, I have a pull to the right and am thinking to adjust my castor on one side to correct it.

Which side gets the higher castor?

Quick Reply: Pulling left / rear axle not centered