Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Purchasing JK . . . Need Advice on Teraflex Leveling Kit

Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM
dxu
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchasing JK . . . Need Advice on Teraflex Leveling Kit

Thanks for a great forum.

Plan of purchasing a Wrangler 2dr S package soft-top with Trulock but still unsure of trans choice. Will be DD. 40 mi roundtrip at least three times a week of 65 mph turnpike in SW PA, just south of Pittsburgh. 85% pavement and 15%light off-road (trails, hills, hunting season). No towing or hard off-roading. So here are some questions. I hope my description above will help with recommendations.

1. I want a mild lift < 3 in for looks (strong, stout, stocky, etc). I was thinking Teraflex leveling kit to level out and add ~ 2 in or so and maybe a 1 in BL. Is this a good plan? I really am not mechanically inclined so I don't want to add discos or new arms, etc. I also don't want to strain my suspension or parts by adding anything major. The leveling kit is my only real definite thing I think at this point b/c it requires nothing else or so i've read. Thoughts on this would be great including alternatives.

2. New shocks or coils. How do I choose size, etc. What about new shocks/coils with the leveling kit? Or do I keep what I'll have stock?

3. Want to run 16 or 17 with 32 or 33 AT. Do I need wheel spacers if I use one of these with the kit. I read running stock requires it. I don't understand (sorry I am so dense, just trying to learn).

5. What gearing for my needs would be best?

6. I will be purchasing late winter or early Spring. Or should I wait for Q2 or Q3 for new V6 in 2011 model?

Basically I am looking to have a decent riding, sout and strong looking Jeep with enough off-road performance for my aforementioned quests.

Thank you all for your help

DU
Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of lifts you go with will level out your jeep without spacers so i would get the leveling pucks after you lift because you might not need them or you might not need as much... I got an 08X with the towing packege so i got the 3.73gears because i plan on going with 33'' tiers.. if you get a programmer with 33'' you wont notice the tire difrance. The lift Im going with is the rustys 3.25 lift. it comes with every thing you need. and its right around 500.00. I got my 08 4dr at the end of the year when the 09's where coming out. I only ended up paying 20K

Last edited by wal0vitch; 12-11-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

For 32" you don't really even need a lift. If you want a small lift anyway, the TF leveling kit is perfect. You won't need new shocks, you won't need spacers either unless you get some wide tires. You should look into buying some rubi take off wheels/tires. Make sure you order you jeep with 3.73 gears and you won't need aftermaket gears for 32 or 33" tires.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

my wife has the TF leveling kit. i think it is perfect for her needs and she is running 33" KM2s. i will try to post pics tonight. it is really a dramatic difference over stock height and tire size, without being a PIA for her to get in and out. She has lupus and on cold days her body doesnt like the physicality of even getting up into my 2.5 TF coil lift. TF has great customer support. one thing that i will suggest is adding factory take off Rubicon suspension. the coils may add an inch or so depending on what rubicon they came off of and the shocks are slightly longer than your factory X shocks (or sahara shocks for that matter). you can get rubicon take offs for pretty cheap.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dxu
Basically I am looking to have a decent riding, sout and strong looking Jeep with enough off-road performance for my aforementioned quests.
I have a TF leveling kit and Spydertrax 1.5" spacers on my Rubicon 2-dr. IMO, the look is exactly as you described. I wouldn't want to go any higher without larger tires (currently on stock Rubi BFG's).

Also, I feel the spacers actually add just as much to the Jeep's appearance as does the leveling kit. Personally, I would run the spacers whether or not they were recommended to avoid clearance issues. (I don't like how vehicles look when their wheels are tucked inside the body lines.)
Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
dxu
JK Newbie

I am sorry but what are rubicon takeoffs?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dxu
I am sorry but what are rubicon takeoffs?
stock Rubicon parts (in this case coils and springs) which ppl take off their Rubicons when they add a lift. search the JK suspension for sale section, you'll find lots of Rubicon take offs for sale at different times. a lot of ppl also refer to Rubicon wheels and tires as Rubicon take offs.

hope this helps
Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
dxu
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bacon
stock Rubicon parts (in this case coils and springs) which ppl take off their Rubicons when they add a lift. search the JK suspension for sale section, you'll find lots of Rubicon take offs for sale at different times. a lot of ppl also refer to Rubicon wheels and tires as Rubicon take offs.

hope this helps
So that would be the coils and shocks or are shocks and springs different?

Let me say, as embarrassing as it is, I am a 24 y/o guy and was raised by my mom. Moved a lot and never learned a lot that a guy should. Most things though I took time to learn on my own but auto mechanics is my weak point so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks guys
Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dxu
So that would be the coils and shocks or are shocks and springs different?

Let me say, as embarrassing as it is, I am a 24 y/o guy and was raised by my mom. Moved a lot and never learned a lot that a guy should. Most things though I took time to learn on my own but auto mechanics is my weak point so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks guys
Coils and springs are the same thing, he meant to say springs and shock rofl.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 AM
dxu
JK Newbie

If changing X springs/shocks out for Rubi, wouldn't that also raise the Jeep by another inch. So that, plus TF level kit which is about 2 in comes out to be 3 in when all is said and done. Wouldn't you need to replace arms and track bars, etc.

Quick Reply: Purchasing JK . . . Need Advice on Teraflex Leveling Kit