Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question, re: child seats

Old 01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question, re: child seats

How many child seats will fit across the backseat of the Sahara Unlimited?

Are there two or three LATCH set ups?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

ps... has anybody tried hauling a Chariot double jogger in the back (with the seats up, not folded)?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Per the diagram on page 71 in the owner's manual, there appears to be 2 seating positions for utilizing the LATCH system, but there are actually three positions available for rear sseating, though I can't personally vouch for enough room for three car seats!

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom is correct, there is only 2. BUT...the latch hooks are pretty wide and you may be able to use the same latch for the center and outside seats depending on how your car seat latches are designed. The britax we have won't work but the other one we have has very small latch clamps....

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

We run 3 car seats regularly. Our oldest son is almost 5 and only uses a booster now so doesn't use a latch. But 3 seats will fit comfortably.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only problem is to get it lock in place, have to be a bit athletic. I fear when I will put my 35'' with 4'' of lift!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

I put 3 car seats across. 2 regular ones and one base for an infant seat. They fit, but tight. No room for cupholders. The latch bars are wide enough for me to double up on.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmjk
I put 3 car seats across. 2 regular ones and one base for an infant seat. They fit, but tight. No room for cupholders. The latch bars are wide enough for me to double up on.
Thanks for that... we have twin boys who will be a few months shy of three years old by the time I take delivery and finish Stage I mods, and our daughter will be just over 1.5 years by then (they're 15 months apart). The boys aren't yet in booster seats and our daughter is out of the infant seat. I have my doubts that I'll be able to get three regular seats across... no problem, we have a Sienna for full family hauling...

Thanks for the info, though.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Once the infant carrier is locked into the base it is as wide as a regular car seat. Now, I buy the most basic of car seats. Very functional but not fancy, about 55 or 60 bucks. The less gizmos the better. We are Jeep people right? I measured the type I own will fit 3 across. We intend on off roading with all 3 kids. One is 3 1/2, one is 16 months and one is one month. The 3 year old is a girl and already begs me to go to the bumpy roads. My 16 month old boy can sleep through anything that I don't have to be in 4x for. Mom will not let the other one go until he is 1 year old.

Take them all, you can.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmjk
Take them all, you can.
That's very encouraging... the kids are one (well, three) of the reasons I bought this Jeep in the first place...

Right up until the second week of December 2006, my daily driver was a Toyota Tundra double cab Ltd. with the sunroof and retractable rear window. My boys were thrilled to bounce around with the windows down and roof open, stereo blasting the Curious George soundtrack... You can bet just as soon as I take delivery of my Sahara Unlimited (and have a CAI, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, 33x12.50 18" Interco TrXus M/T tires and a 2" FT econo-lift installed) I'll be force-feeding the back seat 3 childseats (if they fit...)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

The lower anchors are not designed or tested for use with two car seats connected to one anchor. Use the middle seat belt; you may need a locking clip if it does not have a switchable retractor, or if the shoulder belt tips the child seat. With two latch positions in the back seat, using the center two for a middle position only is usually wrong. I don't have an owner's manual yet, I think its scheduled to be printed, but that's probably not the only hold up with my Rubi. Child seats rule, or at least I get some OT out of them at work.

Quick Reply: Quick question, re: child seats