Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing question

Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regearing question

I remember reading a while back that some JK D44 rears have different size ring gear bolts. There were some people that had to drill the holes bigger (I assume in the ring gear).

Is this only relevent if you install a locker? I'm staying open for now.

Anybody know about this? I bought my JK 10/1/06, so it's an early build.

I'm about to drop it off to have my 4.88's set up, and I thought I'd give the installer the heads up if necessary.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure this only applied to Rubicon's and holes in it were too big. Superior ships sleeves with their bolts to make up the difference. This was the case with the old TJ Rubicon as well when they first came out.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank for the quick response, WOL.

I'm on my way! No more 3.21's!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Got a call yesterday from the installer saying that I need new carriers. He said the backlash was excessive.

I told him that as far as I know, only one exists for the JK axles. He said he'd see what he could do and call back if needed. I never heard back from him and forgot to call him before closing time. No news is good news I hope. I'm gonna call him this morning.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Assuming you have Superior gears, have your installer contact them directly. I have heard that some of the gears they sent out were having issues setting up and yours could be one of them.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Assuming you have Superior gears, have your installer contact them directly. I have heard that some of the gears they sent out were having issues setting up and yours could be one of them.

Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very curious to hear the outcome. I have my rear 4.88's but the D30 4.88's (and 5.13's according to David @ Northridge) are out of stock from Superior till at least the end of the year. I ordered them mid November. Wonder if they are having problems or the demand has just been that great.

Please post what you find out about the carrier. When I talked to my dealer about the install he asked if it would need a new carrier. I told him I had heard it did not as there was only one carrier.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I got it back last night. He got it fixed before I told him to call Superior. He said he did have to put different carrier in the d30.I guess it was one from a differennt D30 because there's only one for the JK 30. I think they're interchangeable. He said the D44 was cake.

Apparently, I got an early version of the gears. I've had them for a while now. He said with the stock carrier, the best he could get the backlash was .050 . The guy at the shop said they had to install/uninstall them about 15 times to get them right even on the new carrier because there were no #'s on the gears (I think he mentioned runout and maybe something else?).

Anyway, trust the guy, and as long as it's right I don't care what he did

BTW, this is not a knock on Superior. I haven't heard any other problems so I assume they've corrected this.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered the 5.13 kit from Northridge... The shop that is installing them and Myself have been through hell with this so far. Just to keep from slamming anyone I will only say the 5.13 kit I bought from Northridge "WILL NOT" work without a new carrier. Extra $$ for the carrier, extra $$ for shipping, extra $$ money for the shop. BIG PIA FOR ME !!! Three weeks so far without my Jeep.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by vyper
I ordered the 5.13 kit from Northridge... The shop that is installing them and Myself have been through hell with this so far. Just to keep from slamming anyone I will only say the 5.13 kit I bought from Northridge "WILL NOT" work without a new carrier. Extra $$ for the carrier, extra $$ for shipping, extra $$ money for the shop. BIG PIA FOR ME !!! Three weeks so far without my Jeep.
Wonder if they are all this way, just got my new gears in the mail (dana 30) ..........waiting on the overhaul kits to come off backorder before I throw them in. How much was the new carrier? What year 30 is the carrier out of?

If its too much of a hassle, Ill send them back and just throw the gears in the rear till I can find a buyer for my 30 and go ahead and buy a 44 for the front I guess. It was hard enough spending the $375 on the damn 30 for the gears and overhaul kits, I dont want to spend much more, the axle aint worth it........

Quick Reply: Regearing question