Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

River Raider flares vs. Warrior Products

Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has their opinions on function, form, and looks. I for one have River Raider Tube fenders and in fact, i am the one who asked Kenny to build them because Poison kept pushing the fenders back. If the tube fenders are designed and mounted properly they will disburse the load evenly and protect body. I can tell you from experiences the fenders does it's job protecting the body from trees and rocks. I use my jeep and use the armor for what it is intended for which is to bang it around and give protection to the body.

If I were to build another jeep, i would still get river raider fenders, crusher corner, and the sliders because they do the job great and they look great. only thing I would do differently is not get the gaytorhyde, thou it did grew on me it is hard to touch up after banning it against rocks and trees

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-09-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the River Raiders and I couldn't be happier. I had originaly order the EVO Outlaw stuff but it wasn't going to be done in time (I need them for Megarun this past weekend). I called Kenny at RR and he explained the whole bondo thing in detail. I installed them and I'll be damned if they didn't get tested out and passed with flying colors no body damage at all (just a small flop, but flop none the same :p) I actually came off a ledge and slid into the wall with my rear bumper hung on the ledge.

I also stood on the front, jumped up and down without issue (I'm 6'1" and about 280) The tie-in t the sub frame works perfectly. I'm very happy with the product and the service I received
Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

About the cleaning welds thing......bondo is NEVER necessary to a fabricator with patience, period. Being around my friend Alex and his shop I've seen alot of the the bumpers and stuff come outta there ....this one for a JK was hand made from about 40 different pieces and I saw it before powder coating....clean as a whistle.....just a bad ass fabricator

Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MD_Rubi
Everyone has their opinions on function, form, and looks.
i agree 100%

If the tube fenders are designed and mounted properly they will disburse the load evenly and protect body. I can tell you from experiences the fenders does it's job protecting the body from trees and rocks. I use my jeep and use the armor for what it is intended for which is to bang it around and give protection to the body.
you'll forgive my skeptisim but i don't see how you can mount these or any fenders like it any differently than in the stock location and that's just along the edge of the opening. with a hard it, the entire impact will translate directly into this edge. you say you bang them around, i say you need to show us proof.

Originally Posted by Bunker
I installed them and I'll be damned if they didn't get tested out and passed with flying colors no body damage at all (just a small flop, but flop none the same :p) I actually came off a ledge and slid into the wall with my rear bumper hung on the ledge.
unless i'm missing something, if slid and hung your rear bumper on the ledge, i don't see how this could have been a good test of your fenders from a hit.

I also stood on the front, jumped up and down without issue (I'm 6'1" and about 280) The tie-in t the sub frame works perfectly. I'm very happy with the product and the service I received
that's nice that they can withstand weight and you jumping on it but i fail to see how this is a test of it being hit.

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
About the cleaning welds thing......bondo is NEVER necessary to a fabricator with patience, period.
exactly.

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-09-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i agree 100%

you'll forgive my skeptisim but i don't see how you can mount these or any fenders like it any differently than in the stock location and that's just along the edge of the opening. with a hard it, the entire impact will translate directly into this edge. you say you bang them around, i say you need to show us proof.

unless i'm missing something, if slid and hung your rear bumper on the ledge, i don't see how this could have been a good test of your fenders from a hit.

that's nice that they can withstand weight and you jumping on it but i fail to see how this is a test of it being hit.

exactly.

lol...your members have seen it first hand at the first jk-project run in Rausch Creek. I have more then once just crushed the fenders and no dmage except for the gaytorhyde.
Like I have stated befor, if the parts, in this case fenders, are designed and mounted corrected it will do it's job. I have had many experiences with PSC fenders and never once did it fail to protect the body.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

I did'nt see any hits, I heard about it. I was in the xtreme group, the second and third day. Hell I cant see how anyone could hit tree's in the stocker and modified groups..

What some people consider a hit and what I consider a hit is two different things. My green JK was all bent up just from the plastic flares.

Dont take this personally, I too want to run some kind of steel fender and I probley will. Atleast I'll know going into it, I could sustain body damage. If people are spending that kinda cash, they shouldnt be told they wont damage the JK.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 03-10-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MD_Rubi
I have had many experiences with PSC fenders and never once did it fail to protect the body.
PSC fenders are wielded to a plate steel surface ....assuming your speaking of TJ's and older
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dunno what else to tell you

Straight dropoff
tried to roll in but I just slid down and to the right
after I hit I tried to power out but I ended up with my rear tires off the ground and my fronts spinning (diff high centered)

I'm sure if I would have just powered through after I saw the fronts just sliding down I'd have made it... probably minus a few teeth though.

I was merely stating that they are very sturdy. There was no movement to the fenders or the quarter panels even with my weight jumping up and down on them.

There are actually several spacers that transfer the load to the subframe keeping the sheet metal from collapsing in. There is a kind of sandwich thing going on. You'd have to see it, I just know that it works You'd have to hit hard enough to bend the sub frame and I'm pretty sure whatever you use it's going to give in that case.

/shrug

I like the RR fenders and I'm glad I went with them.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I did'nt see any hits, I heard about it. I was in the xtreme group, the second and third day. Hell I cant see how anyone could hit tree's in the stocker and modified groups..

What some people consider a hit and what I consider a hit is two different things. My green JK was all bent up just from the plastic flares.

Dont take this personally, I too want to run some kind of steel fender and I probley will. Atleast I'll know going into it, I could sustain body damage. If people are spending that kinda cash, they shouldnt be told they wont damage the JK.
What Company said they won't damage the JK.
I was at TDS last weekend, smashed into just about everything with my front fenders just got dirt in my cottage cheese of course it was just dirt not rocks. Seriously, from what I'm noticing, my tires take the brunt of it first then the fenders hit. I'm just waiting for that day when I do connect on a nice big rock to see what really happens

Hey instead of calling it Cottage cheese, say orange peels. It sounds more appealing.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Sorry, i should clarify.

I mean people on here are telling everyone you wont get body damage with steel fenders. I've had body damage from my plastic flares (green Jk), I've seen body damage from bushwacker flares on other Jeeps.

I'm not saying RR are not built well, I'm saying there's no gaurantee they wont damage the Body like any other steel fender

Quick Reply: River Raider flares vs. Warrior Products