Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you ask that... couple of fellow JK'rs have looked them over really close and commented they need to change their brand "x" for something with more clearance. One particular spot a fellow JK'rs rails were actually causing him grief, where I was able to get thru with more ease due to the clearance... now that I recal, he had to back off that obstacle as the rail was causing his tires to dangle and could not get the traction to proceed.
I've still hit them a few times rather hard. Enough so you bounce in the seat, you know what I mean. How hard that is I'm not sure. Betting folks have had harder hits but these were good thuds... not "tings" or "clanks"...
The time I was most impressed is when the rig started to flop, then the rail contacted rock, stopped the flop, but had both passengers side wheels off the ground, and had to progress... Tore the front plastic fender off, wrinkled the fender, and gouged up the rear plastic fender... but did not flop, and drove out. The rails took it all in stride, the "decorative" infill piece is a little messed up, but not enough to make me want to replace it.
Oh, and I'm not all "cool hand luke", when I got out of that I had to get out of the rig and do the nervous walk/dance.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:05 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on man. Sounds good. My "gut" is telling me these will be "the one's."

I'll get them powder coated next week but I think I'm just going to clear the inner piece and keep the raw look for it. Looking forward to getting these bolted up and finally crossing this one off the list after 5 long years.

I've had all of the following:
1. Sahara steps
2. Rubicon rails
3. Ace rails
4. Ace + Rubicon rails
5. VKS PreRunners
6. .....and finally PSC body mount Rocker Knockers

I'm done jackin' around with this crap.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hope these work out for you, and the wheeling you do.
I'm not sure they are the best "in the world" but they are the cats meow for me.
That's a lot of rails to have gone through.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since another forum member asked for additional info, I though I'd throw it in here in case it helps others to decide for or against the PS body mount Rockers.

The rails stick out right near 3".
They sit up high, darn near level with the door sill.
The pose no obstacle getting in, I stick my right foot in the well and just sorta "hop" up into the drivers seat. I'm all of 5'7".
My wife, who is 5'2" uses them as a step, yes, it's a high step, but that is how she "climbs" in.
Getting out, I put my left foot on the rail, swing my right leg out/down and then just slide/fall out of the rig. Since they are up high at the sill it feels natural.
My wife gets out the same way and joke about "falling" out of the Jeep.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130770.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	669831Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130771.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	669832Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130772.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	669833Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130773.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	669834Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130774.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	669835Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130775.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	669836
Old 04-06-2017, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

note in the last photo, that my Jeep is "Trail Rated"... So, you know, I know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Since another forum member asked for additional info, I though I'd throw it in here in case it helps others to decide for or against the PS body mount Rockers.

The rails stick out right near 3".
They sit up high, darn near level with the door sill.
The pose no obstacle getting in, I stick my right foot in the well and just sorta "hop" up into the drivers seat. I'm all of 5'7".
My wife, who is 5'2" uses them as a step, yes, it's a high step, but that is how she "climbs" in.
Getting out, I put my left foot on the rail, swing my right leg out/down and then just slide/fall out of the rig. Since they are up high at the sill it feels natural.
Attachment 669831Attachment 669832Attachment 669833Attachment 669834Attachment 669835Attachment 669836
Thanks for those pics. They look like they've done the job. Nice they can be used a step too. I have a roll of rubberized grip tape I'll be putting on the top of the tube. I'll be painting and installing mine this weekend... I need to start a build thread here.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:39 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Nice pics. I just sent mine to powdercoat yesterday. Looking forward to getting these on.....

Old 04-07-2017, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this thread kinda exploded since I first saw and commented in it, LOL. Great discussion, and very helpful.

I'd pretty well narrowed my choices to LOD or VKS Prerunner. I've liked the idea of frame-mounted sliders as more impervious to flex, but I suppose reading this it's just not that simple. The PSC Rocker Knockers were my early favorites when I got my JK, but someone on one of these forums shared a video of their Rocker Knockers' top tube flexing almost into their door on a hard hit, and I began looking for other options.

As helpful as this thread has been, I suppose it still leaves me in a quandary. There's clearly no perfect setup, and some of the damage discussed here likely boils down to dumb luck and how often you find "perfect storm" scenarios on the trails you wheel. For me, it's not likely to be often, but even once would be maddening. No one wants, as was pointed out earlier, to take damage from the very thing you purchased to protect yourself from damage!

Anyway, insomnia is letting me ramble uselessly now, so I'll just say thanks again for an enlightening discussion. 👍🏻
Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 AM
DJ1
Former Member

I don't mind rolling the dice with the Rocker Knockers. In approx ~ 8 years that setup has been around (maybe even more), I've only been able to find 1 documented failure.

** ...and that was on a 4-door

Last edited by DJ1; 04-07-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Need to correct this...
I don't DD my Jeep, So having been out in it a few time this weekend...
I actually swing my left leg out, then place my right foot on the slider... than fall out.

Quick Reply: Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!