Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rotate 5th tire or not???

Old 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
I do the rearward cross. That is diagram "G" on this page:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...141125014125:s

Jack right rear, swap for spare. Raise right front and swap for right rear. Raise left read and swap in front right. Raise left front put left rear on and left front goes to spare. Same amount of lifts (or less) as a 4-wheel rotation unless you let a shop do it.
^^^ x2. This is exactly what I do and recommend.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My step-dad had a tire shop when I was growing up and I worked there part time. Every other month some guy would come in, wanting to buy three tires to match his discontinued, orphan of a spare, to which there wouldn't be a replacement to be found. Keep in mind that tire manufacturers are always updating and changing their model lines, just like the vehicles they go on. Hoping that Goodyear/Toyo/Cooper/whoever will still be making the tire you're running now, two years from now, is a gamble.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

And if you have directional tires there's no need to use the spare since only one side will be able to rotate the 3rd one in.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

After 20000 yes they worn past my liking but still could be resold as used. My personal preference is that they look new so I get new sets every other year and I will sell that sat as used and it will pay for at least 2 of my new tires so I really only have to buy 2. As far as the tire being discontinued depends on the type of tire. I haven't run into that problem yet and they still make them now. I've played with enough types of tires that I know what I like so I won't be changing brands or getting bigger. There is no right or wrong way to do it, it all depends on how you run your rig.

Quick Reply: Rotate 5th tire or not???