Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country 2.5 Coil Lift Question with pics.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to keep posting this (not really), but here ya go....

Same thing with mine, (rear coils touching on TWO different sets)
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+wrong+picture

Other thoughts about RC:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=rough+country

Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I just looked and my rear look just like that, and front are little more spaced out as picture above shows. So they agreed that this isnt or is normal? Maybe the RC rep will pop in here soon.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think RC says it's normal.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well alright, guess thats how it is I dont know, I do know I have stock spare, no bumpers and thats about it so no weight back there.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MX355
Well I just looked and my rear look just like that, and front are little more spaced out as picture above shows. So they agreed that this isnt or is normal? Maybe the RC rep will pop in here soon.
I'll be completely honest with you, even though they are a sponsoring vendor on this forum and I don't wanna cause any problems with that....

I had this happen not long after I first purchased and installed this kit (also with stock bumpers, no extra weight or towing)...mentioned it on this forum and the rep on here (Chad I believe) quickly sent out a new set of coils to fix the problem...they sent me some 4-door coils (i have a 2-door) so that to be sure that this wouldn't happen again....well, after about 6 weeks, it happened again.

I then sent Chad (rep on here) a PM about the issue, but he didn't respond until later because he was on vacation or something.....so anyway, I called RC and told a guy on the phone what the problem was...he said "oh, you need to talk to Davy". So, now I'm thinking that this Davy guy is the foremost expert on this problem with the progressive rate coils....he said that it was normal and that's how a progressive coil spring works!! I told him that didn't make sense to me and his response was something like "it's normal for the top few coils to be touching because when you flex, then those coils expand and give you more articulation"....he then said to send a picture and he would look at it.

I then sent a picture to the cust. service e-mail at RC.com...after about a week, no response. So, then I sent another e-mail that was not so nice and basically threatened to tell everyone I know how they are handling the situation and not standing behind their product....

I got an e-mail from Davy saying "we looked at your pics and your coils are fine, but if you pay shipping and return the ones you have then I will give you credit for them"...if I pay shipping?? This was the SECOND time I had this problem and I wasn't the only one and he wanted me to pay to send back a product that was obviously defective! Well, obvious to everyone except him anyway.....

I got a PM back from Chad (rep on here) and he was more than willing to help and offered to send out more springs for me....I opted not to get anymore RC products and instead I went back to my factory coils with 1.75" spacers. If it wasn't for Chad, I would have a much lower opinion of RC customer service....as it stands now, it's just the one idiot that I'm not happy with.....well, and the springs of course. LOL

SO, provided you get the right person on the phone they will more than likely send you a new set...but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this happens to you again...
Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's a comparison shot of mine for ya...see if you think this is 1.5" of difference to you or not (this was right after installing the RC kit)

Rough Country 3.25" kit:

with 1.75" spacers on factory coils:
Old 09-27-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ
I've got the 2.5" coil lift on mine and started out with 35s, went down to 33s, and just took another picture of it yesterday.

Its not a huge lift but I'm happy with it. Mine looks just like yours does. I have a feeling you're just used to lookin at it! Happens to us all.

Here's some photos for comparison's sake:

Marcus, can you measure you height from the center of the fender, looks like yours sits similar to mine.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

HAHA thanks man, I think mine was like 38.5 in front and 38ish in rear? When ever you get time check the rear too if you dont mind. Wonder why it would be half inch lower.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this lift, and like a lot of other people it sagged after 3 months and compressed the top 3 coils of all 4 springs to where they were touching. I got another set from RC, but they did the same thing.

I took the lift off this weekend and put my stock X suspension back on. I did a before(w/ lift) and after (without lift) comparison and I only lost 1.3"F, and 1"R by going back to stock...

Needless to say I'm disappointed with Rough Country. Switching to Old Man Emu lift to keep a nice ride quality.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MX355
HAHA thanks man, I think mine was like 38.5 in front and 38ish in rear? When ever you get time check the rear too if you dont mind. Wonder why it would be half inch lower.
I have had my RC 2.5 coils and 2.2 shocks on for a month. Measurment at front center fender is 39 rear 38 1/4. Zero sag to date.

Quick Reply: Rough Country 2.5 Coil Lift Question with pics.