Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rumble when accelerating. Could it be pinon angles?

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
Manual or Auto?
It's a 2011 JKU sport automatic
Old 12-04-2015, 03:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

oh, crap, just remembered, my torque converter went out at 90k, sounds like exactly what you have. Just remembered that! check that one out too!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
oh, crap, just remembered, my torque converter went out at 90k, sounds like exactly what you have. Just remembered that! check that one out too!
That's what I'm thinking it could be. How can you check that without obviously pulling the tranny?
Old 12-06-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Hope you get it figured out soon, still have warranty?
Old 12-06-2015, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Giuliano Rosso
Hope you get it figured out soon, still have warranty?
It's a 2011 so the warranty is probably expired.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Going to take her by a transmission shop tomorrow to see what they say. I feel like it could be so many things, I'll probably go to multiple shops and see what they all say.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:49 AM
JK Junkie

My mechanic deducted it was the torque converter. There was a recall on the TC from 2007-2010. I am thinking some of our 2011s got the bad TCs as well. Mine has been fine ever since. "knock on wood".
Old 12-07-2015, 01:15 AM
JK Newbie

My mechanic deducted it was the torque converter. There was a recall on the TC from 2007-2010. I am thinking some of our 2011s got the bad TCs as well. Mine has been fine ever since. "knock on wood".
Couldn't get it to reoccur by applying the brake and then applying acceleration to 2k rpms. Read somewhere that this might be a way to repro that shudder.

Turn O/D off seems to help a little bit but I can still get it to happen when accelerating.

The shudder is a bit picky. I can only get it to happen when traveling below 10mph and go to accelerate quickly.

From a dead stop on flat I can't get it to reproduce. If there's a bit of an incline then it pops back up. But that's not to say the incline is the only top. It's happened once turning right at a light going downhill.

If I let off the gas slightly it stops rumbling stops.

Someone somewhere mentioned that maybe it's a bad misfire issue. The Jeep definitely doesn't sound the best on a cold start, and does have a slow engine oil leak.

Just an FYI for you and anyone else that may stumble upon this thread.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Try driving around 30-40 mph, and just push the accelerator enough to just to start to accelerate. that's how I replicated.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Try driving around 30-40 mph, and just push the accelerator enough to just to start to accelerate. that's how I replicated.
I had a 2014 JKU and now a 2015 JKU, both had a 3" BDS lift done by the dealer and both Jeeps had this same problem. It happens at slower speeds when I am around 1600-1800 RPm's, it just sounds like a heat shield or something vibrating. I have factory warranty but have just been to lazy to deal with taking it to the dealership and being a couple of days with no car. I have crawled all over the under side and can't find the problem. And I can only some times get it to make the noise while sitting still in drive and getting the RPM's up in that noise range.

Quick Reply: Rumble when accelerating. Could it be pinon angles?