Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rumble when accelerating. Could it be pinon angles?

Old 12-07-2015, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Try driving around 30-40 mph, and just push the accelerator enough to just to start to accelerate. that's how I replicated.
I can feel a slight rumble with this method, but nothing to the degree of when accelerating on a hill. I'll try to replicate it and record it.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hastingsrussell
I had a 2014 JKU and now a 2015 JKU, both had a 3" BDS lift done by the dealer and both Jeeps had this same problem. It happens at slower speeds when I am around 1600-1800 RPm's, it just sounds like a heat shield or something vibrating. I have factory warranty but have just been to lazy to deal with taking it to the dealership and being a couple of days with no car. I have crawled all over the under side and can't find the problem. And I can only some times get it to make the noise while sitting still in drive and getting the RPM's up in that noise range.
We're definitely not talking about a heat shield issue here. The entire Jeep rumbles, haha.

Had a pretty rough first startup today after sitting in the cold all night. Wondering if maybe an engine misfire could be occurring.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Here is the update:

Took the Jeep to the transmission shop today. Sounds like it's not the torque converter like I'd expected.

After a few test drives we were able to replicate what the mechanic described as a second gear slip. We were able to find a solid way to replicate the issue and did it a few times. It felt as if it was slipping and then aggressively popping in to gear.

Still questions remain from my side.. Why would there be a slight rumble that happens once I turn overdrive off? Could my troque converter also be going bad along with this 2nd gear slip? And, does the error code P0732 actually mean that 2nd gear is damaged or could this just be and issue of me not having a regear done to my jeep yet?

Based off their suggestion it sounds like the transmission needs to be dropped and inspected($500 to just drop the transmission...).

I think this repair might be something I could just tackle on my own with a few days(excluding parts shipment) of work. Still on the fence as to wether I want to take the time and do it though. If I found out they were wrong and it was something driveline related I would be really frustrated.

Quick Reply: Rumble when accelerating. Could it be pinon angles?