Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sahara D30 Axle build gearing question

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sahara D30 Axle build gearing question

I'm thinking either go with a build on the D30 (C Gussets, locker (thinking aussie or eaton elocker), shafts, and 5.13 gears (front and back) or going with a rubi d44 front and back axle and stick with the rubi elocker and 4.10's.

Since I might be going with the 5.13 gearing, how will that run on stock 32" tires. It'll be a while b4 I can get some 34-35" duratrac tires. I only do light to moderate trails right now but plan on hitting Moab next year, nothing extreme though. This is my DD.

And yes, I've thought about a dynatrac axle, but don't want to spend that much money.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same boat i was in. I personally wouldnt waste the money on the D30. Wheel it until it breaks or you have the money to put a Pro Rock 44 in it.

I just bought a Pro Rock 44 with Gears and ARB for the front and rear for a very resonable price. Save your funds, the Pro Rock 44 maybe closer than you think.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know, that's an option also. Maybe just stick the Aussie in there and wait. I will be getting the Duratracs in the short future so I'd be running the 33-34" with the 3.73 gearing.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Difficult question for me to answer since I am a bit new to all of this and I don't have a clear idea of their fair value. I think shipping to California would be expensive though. I'd hate to insult you with a lo ball price. Prices seem to be all over the place.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

For what it's worth, my setup is...

Front D30, 5.13 gears, Aussie locker, Chromoly shafts, Teraflex sleeves and gussets, and I'm running 35s...

In all honesty, it wasn't "that" much money... not enough money that I was like OMG, I could have bought a PR-44... not saying I don't want one, but the gears were the only things I paid someone to install... the Aussie, chromos, sleeves and gussets, are all things I (or with the help of a friend) installed.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmasten
I'm thinking either go with a build on the D30 (C Gussets, locker (thinking aussie or eaton elocker), shafts, and 5.13 gears (front and back) or going with a rubi d44 front and back axle and stick with the rubi elocker and 4.10's.

Since I might be going with the 5.13 gearing, how will that run on stock 32" tires. It'll be a while b4 I can get some 34-35" duratrac tires. I only do light to moderate trails right now but plan on hitting Moab next year, nothing extreme though. This is my DD.
I am not a fan of dumping money into the 30's, and unless you find a smoking good deal on the rubi axles, you would be better off just waiting.
-Front rubi 44's use the same weak housings as the 30's, and will need all of the same strength upgrades.
-The elockers are good, when they work. But they seem to have reliability issues, and are extremely expensive to replace.
-The only big positive to them is the D44 gearset vs the D30 gears.

You will be ok with 35's and either 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Just turn OD Off, and turn it back on when you regear.
And if you end up with new gears on stock tires, the rpm's will be a bit high, but nothing an auto can't handle.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

I just put arb lockers also sleevs & guessett in my dana 30, & 44 rear. Running 410 gears in 07 auto & 33 tires this will be my 3rd year to go to Moab for EJS have a lot of fun with it. You don't have to go out their and go crazy if it breaks will do some thing else when it does see you in Moab
Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

The wife said spend some money. I hear the arguments and that's wahat's causing the dilemma. I plan on doing some rock crawling so probably could use a selectable locker. If I got it torn aprt, then why not do the gears. But then, why waste the money when what I should really do is get a pro rock 44. decisions

Quick Reply: Sahara D30 Axle build gearing question